Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ljsketch art book 2014

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
Gonna start this year off with my comicon entry. More to come shortly.
wlqc.jpg

Replies

• ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    more updates:

high poly is done! Well, at least until posing. I'm sure I'll have to make some minor adjustments here and there.

2u04.jpg

Ok, so here's where I usually fall flat on my face...texturing! So far, I think the skin is pretty decent. I'm trying to get the armor to read as gold without adding any other maps to it right now. So far...this is what I have.

irxi.jpg
    ap9s.jpg

I'm also trying to get the emissive map to work for the purple parts of the armor. Again....face falling on ground. This is where I admit that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing on this part but I'm sure as hell am going to figure this out!
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    still working the color palette out. crits and comments welcome.
    658i.jpg
  • arcitecht
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Gold wont read as gold without colored specular. Make the dffuse a dark orange color, and the spec a bright, saturated yellow/orange depending on the shade of gold you want.

And do pretty much the same thing with the emissive. Dark, deep purple in the dif, then lighter purple in the emissive.
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips arcitecht!

I worked on this before seeing your comment so I'll adjust on the next pass:

Me and marmoset2 had a date last night. I got to know her really well and she wasn't a bitch about. Learned a lot and really love the new setup. These are the base colors, diffuse only. I played around with different shader setups to get the gold I was looking for. It's close but I know I need more tweaks.

kcut.jpg
  • pongstah
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    hi ljsketch, cool looking model. I like the design style, it's reminiscent of classic isometric pre-rendered rpgs. I think the marmoset render would look more interesting in a night-time lighting setup. I'm not sure how to do that in marmoset, haven't used it for a long time. I think having fewer light sources will create nice shadows and make the forms and silhouette on this character stand out. Besides he looks like a predatory creature that comes out and hunts during the night so a night scene will fit him better.
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    @pongstah - thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments. I tool your suggestions in mind on my next pass.

Made some changes on the armor with some great feedback from here and polycount. Still playing around with the lighting. It's going to be a night sceen with spotlights coming from helicopters and such....at least that's what I'm going for.

0mwr.jpg
    d0e0.jpg

The silly tpose doesnt do much justice for the pose I have in mind....in fact...take a look at these rough poses. Super ugly right now becasue of the stretching but it's close to what I want.

gih3.jpg
    8f5k.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid the pose using transpose master instead of a rig this time. I did however use joints to move the neck and tail. Still see some geo that needs to be re-sculpted but have to take a break now.

i6ml.jpg
    vc7.gif
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    forgot to post these up after I finished. I really enjoyed my first try at the comicon this year so I'm definitely going to give a go at it next year.

sa3i.jpg

uq1j.jpg

fve5.jpg

7cht.jpg

IMG
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    now that the comicon is over I can get back to this guy. Worked on him all day yesterday. Going to start refining tonight....more to come.

f3it.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I've posted anything. Did this sketch last night as an anatomy study but ended up with an african warrior instead
    rvfm.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished this guy up. The fibermesh was a pain in the ass at first but it came out much better than I imagined at the last minute. Learned a bunch about rendering in ZBrush also. Had loads of fun working on the illustration part.

l7a8.jpg
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    the loin piece is excellent! is the spear supposed to be metal? it looks like rock, thats the only thing I think needs love
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Oxblood! Yeah supposed to be :). I think I added to much texture to it and didn't realize until the render. It's made out of the same material as the arm band. Thanks for the crit ;).
  • Mike8917
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great man. I have very little knowledge with characters or anatomy, but to me the veins seem to end a little abruptly, especially the ones just above his bracers. Wonder if you could increase the fade a little bit, or lengthen them so they travel behind his bracer?

Only slight a niggle. Agree with oxblood about the spear. Everything else looks really nice. Good job! :)
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mike, thanks for stopping by. Glad you like it! Yeah, the veins can be adjusted in photoshop relatively easy. Thanks for the crit :).
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted in awhile. here's a few of things I've been working on.

lionel-cornelius-jr-thanos.jpg?1406694616

lionel-cornelius-jr-trill-robin-color-alt.jpg?1406693677

lionel-cornelius-jr-aquat-final2.jpg?1407164343

lionel-cornelius-jr-bp-composite-final.jpg?1407101242

lionel-cornelius-jr-magneto.jpg?1406695167
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    That robin is sooo dope! can i use it as my avatar?
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks oxblood! Go ahead man.
  • ljsketch
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    updating the ol sketchbook. just a couple of things I hope to finish soon.

2rAxf9.jpg

lpqlEC.jpg

EP3kBU.jpg