Home Unity

Roads

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hey all, ok so trying to figure out how to make seamless roads without plugins.

Replies

• Cint128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cint128 polycounter lvl 6
    3d mesh of the roads that line up really well and tiling texture, or use a terrain and have several textures for curves and angles is another possibility?
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm single road and tiling texture has one issue, when you bend almost 180 (U turns) the texture just seem to get ugly due to the fact that more polys are added to make the road look smooth on those curves but this result in distortion. No idea how terrain thing works in Unity so it can wait for now.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should be able to just change the unwrap on the 180 to keep it from distorting.. im sure someone will have an example (Im on my mobile atm)
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far the only way im seeing to avoid it is to unwrap and paint on a unwraped mesh that is already bend. Using a bend modifier on straight road piece saves alot of time but this is distortion is new that I have come across and its buggin me alot. Texture is 1024x1024 just for road so yea its weird as to why it happens, despite im adding ton load edges so the curve is smoother.
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    Try to use one texture for straight mesh, and other to curved mesh, also you need to paint it after modeling, if you paint before curve mesh will distort the texture. Also you can try to do 4 pieces of a modular road, like the straight line, curve, intersection and "T" form.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    You could use splines and loft to generate your road. It can create your road and has automatic mapping. Of course you will need to do some clean up but it should be minimal.