Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Aquarii - level design/multiplayer/halo

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Higuy polycounter lvl 9
Thought I'd post this over here rather than my usual forums I post it at...

This isn't really "next-gen" and is made in a fairly old engine (Halo: Combat Evolved's) which uses BSP for level geometry and can sometimes be a pain in the ass to work with. The game (Halo: Custom Edition) is still fairly popular and I've made quite a few maps for it in the past. I haven't made anything in here in quite a long time but I had all of these assets laying around to finish and polish this map (which I took from super rough to this state within a week give or take).

It's a small map based inside of a futuristic aquarium. The aesthetic is to go for a clean kind of environment.

pics:

yf58.jpg

g163.jpg

g72e.jpg

8me5.jpg

0r7x.jpg

hzy2.jpg

0fko.jpg
8ett.jpg

If you've ever played Halo:CE, the map is alot like the original Rat Race in terms of gameplay with some teleporters and other things mixed in.

One thing I'm considering is changing the floor tile around since it can get kinda weird looking from afar and at angles + add some more strips around the floor and walls too.

I'm looking for any crit on aesthetics and game play suggestions if possible :)

Replies

• DWalker
    The black & white tile is far too distracting; it really overpowers the entire scene, especially in brightly lit areas. Boring floors are fine; add some clutter if you must have something down there, but it's really best just to keep the floor itself fairly bland.

The couches just sort of hanging out at the columns don't make much sense; turning them over (onto their sides or back) might make things a bit more believable.

In the fish tank area, y\try removing the white lights on the ground and have the area lit by a blueish light inside the tank. Making the tank destructible would be a nice effect, but I don't think this engine could handle it.
  • KazeoHin
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Its awesome looking inside of an old engine. cool to see what you've done with it!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I love the big aquarium room with the caustics.