Home General Discussion

Canada’s booming video game industry facing labour crunch

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Canada+booming+video+game+industry+facing+labour+crunch/9460427/story.html
Industry representatives are appealing to the federal government to make it easier to fill positions with foreign workers, noting a particular shortage of intermediate- to senior-level talent.

They claim there is a shortage of Canadian senior talent so they need to import senior talent from the rest of the world.

Replies

• Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm, interesting.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, it's (potentially) great news for anyone looking for a job. On the other, the CG boom in Canada is due almost entirely to tax incentives. I certainly wouldn't mind living there nor do I have anything against Canada, but I'm not exactly sympathetic that they're having trouble filling a largely imported industry with skilled, homegrown labor.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Equanim wrote: »
    but I'm not exactly sympathetic that they're having trouble filling a largely imported industry with skilled, homegrown labor.

Canadian sr. artists go (or recruited) to the States where salaries are much higher. The guys remaining, the studio owners, compensate with international guys who might be flexible with lower salaries in exchange for a visa (and closeness to harder to enter U.S. in case they want to move there.)
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Edit: I think this was just me venting as i was more successfull at getting a job in australia then in canada and i am a canadian citizen...
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I don't know if I completely agree with the article.

The problem IMHO is lack of retention, and reliance on outsourcing. This industry has hemorrhaged Seniors as long as I have known. Largely due to terrible investment in their employees, and a heavy reliance on staff learning newer tech/tools/pipelines on their OWN TIME.

This is fine for a lot of guys in their early 20's but it isn't the easiest thing for guys who are in their 40's struggling to find time with their spouse and kids.

We are also not hiring juniors, because in most cases, the immediate returns are better to simply outsource. (I understand long-term this is cannibalizing our domestic industry).

I feel VERY lucky to be a part of a studio that invests in our knowledge and skill-set, but I completely understand how rare this actually is. This industry is usually known for discarding their employees and hiring people who DO have a specific expertise. We're reaching a point where we've hit a wall where there aren't a lot of proven Seniors with updated skills.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    International labor is a pretty touchy subject, it's hard not to sound really angry unless you're 100% supportive of it. I have nothing against people moving around to follow their dreams, but I do think it's unethical to, for example, be educated in one country and then move to another and severely undercut all of the people you went to school with. Or to artificially lower the cost of starting a business in a specific field, causing a massive displacement so your country can produce GDP from foreign labor.

edit: To clarify, you shouldn't feel you need to move internationally just to progress in your field. That's unethical on part of your employer, not you.

The sad irony about sr. artists moving to the US (or Australia) is that so many CG studios, especially in VFX, are moving to Canada. The funny thing is that it doesn't take long for the cost of living in some of these places (like Singapore) to skyrocket, leading everyone to move again. The long term effect is that the actual cost of doing business is never really established, creating yet another reason for studios to have difficulty sustaining themselves.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Don't blame the artists.

recruiting_map.jpg
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    This is fine for a lot of guys in their early 20's but it isn't the easiest thing for guys who are in their 40's struggling to find time with their spouse and kids.

Having a family also changes how and where you can work.

I've turned down game industry job offers in the past two years because I'm not going to move my wife and son away from their extended family. My son sees his grandparents once a week and that is very important and brings a lot of joy to them.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Equanim wrote: »
    International labor is a pretty touchy subject, it's hard not to sound really angry unless you're 100% supportive of it. I have nothing against people moving around to follow their dreams, but I do think it's unethical to, for example, be educated in one country and then move to another and severely undercut all of the people you went to school with. Or to artificially lower the cost of starting a business in a specific field, causing a massive displacement so your country can produce GDP from foreign labor.

edit: To clarify, you shouldn't feel you need to move internationally just to progress in your field. That's unethical on part of your employer, not you.

The sad irony about sr. artists moving to the US (or Australia) is that so many CG studios, especially in VFX, are moving to Canada. The funny thing is that it doesn't take long for the cost of living in some of these places (like Singapore) to skyrocket, leading everyone to move again. The long term effect is that the actual cost of doing business is never really established, creating yet another reason for studios to have difficulty sustaining themselves.

Moving around is unethical? undercut all the people you went to school with ......in another country ? Really you are just coming off as bitter not even especially angry, the games industry is an international industry, and the talent comes from a range of countries, No one is taking away work from locals, if the skills are up to par recruiting would I am sure prefer to hire locals due to visa issues, without the tax breaks there would be less jobs there for foreign and domestic workers I am sure.

If you can't find work, work on your port, because having a better port is always the thing that will put you ahead of someone else, don't think the stupid nonsense written on your passport is some kind of right to a job because you were squeezed out of a vagina on a certain plot of earth all those years ago.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I don't think you are understanding equanims point (not that I totally agree with it). But he's saying it's ethically questionable for someone to go to country A and get educated then move back to country B (cheaper country) and charge a cut rate.

are you sure thats what he means? lol, so hes not in favour of people being educated elsewhere then moving back with a "superior" education and undercutting his fellow nationals.

seems illogical someone would seek a better education for a lower pay.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Doesn't make much sense, really. If you got good education, there is no reason you would go to cheaper country to work for less money and for A or AA project. Only exception I see is if you go to some warm place and work freelance, but you don't compete with native people in there, because, well, freelance.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think you are understanding equanims point (not that I totally agree with it). But he's saying it's ethically questionable for someone to go to country A and get educated then move back to country B (cheaper country) and charge a cut rate.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I think it's unethical because everything you've gained from your education is monetarily based on the country in which you were educated. I have no issue with people moving back to be with family etc., but when you severely undercut the people you went to school with, you destabilize the whole industry. It's not illegal, but it's unethical. Again, it's a touchy subject. I'm not out to offend anyone and I'm not angry or bitter, but that is how I see the current state of the industry. We're all entitled to our opinions. ExcessiveZero, if I offended you, I apologize.

edit: I really didn't mean to derail the topic like this. Back to Canada!
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    Since when was capitalism ethical?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The rule of thumb is base your freelance rates off of your cost of living. I would feel unethical charging a client a rate based on the LA or Vancouver cost of living when I live in Austin.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so they say they can´t train seniors themselves so they are basicaly running out of people to take advantage of.
    well too bad, one might think they deserve it.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    unit187 wrote: »
    Doesn't make much sense, really. If you got good education, there is no reason you would go to cheaper country to work for less money and for A or AA project. Only exception I see is if you go to some warm place and work freelance, but you don't compete with native people in there, because, well, freelance.

What if studios are closing in your native country? What if another country has crazy tax incentives to business there? What if publishers and studio execs where opening studios in other country's and closing studos in your native country, because it saves them millions?

And in this magical hypothesis land, what if there was a shortage in local mid-level talent?

Kinda makes sense to get a job in this other country now. Lots of work, other studios to fall back on, less risk of being cut after a project. Read the thread again?