Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] - Levi's Tower

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sugus polycounter lvl 7
Hello fellow polycounters!

After working for a while on this I’ve decided to give it its own thread and see if I can get as much feedback/critique/opinions in order to improve it.

I really love Levi Hopkin’s art, so I decided to give this one a go: Concept

It was really hard to get the vertical feel of the concept into a horizontal layout so I’ve sort of had to work around that unfortunately.

Here is where I currently am, still at early stages, but excited to take be working on this project.

I'll be working on UDK (No UE4 for me hehe).

sUWLAEZ.jpg

Here’s what’s on the list of things to do:

- Create the window frame thing w/ the collumns.
- Make something cool out of the entrance
- Ropes, ropes everywhere
- Re-make the rocks, not happy with them atm.
- Make a unique asset for the top left “entrance” to the tower.
- Create ivy/moss.
- Cloth hanging at the top of the tower
- Create thinner poles to add to the scene
- Ground texture/s
- Re-work the foreground element
- Redo the brick texture of the tower.
- Fog/smoke any other vfx
- Light this properly
- Post process effects.

So there’s quite a lot to do, but I’m sure I’ll pull this off.

Many thanks in advance polycount!

Replies

• NajimCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NajimCG polycounter lvl 10
    It looks realy nice , waiting for the rest :)
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Subscribed. Curious about this one!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the support guys!

Here's a quick update on 3 different wooden poles to be scattered around the scene. Need to touch up on the diffuse a little bit and make a proper spec/gloss.

BsMR4Xm.jpg
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Another quick update on the side entrance of the tower:

EjuEc1y.jpg

Not sure how i'm going to retopo this, debating wether to use planes (in certain places) and use alphas to show the gaps or to use geomtry.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Another update on the scene. Been pretty busy lately so haven't been able to do much.

Managed to finish the side entrance sculpt (top left entering the tower), baked it down and textured it. The idea is to use the individual pieces that compose the piece to add variety around the scene.

dgncAd5.jpg

I think i'll be re doing the rocks in the scene, they look pretty terrible atm.

Thanks!
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    subscribed! looking great so far!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Iciban: Thanks for the support! Still a long way to go to get to how I envision it in my head, stay tuned :)

Here's an update on the overall scene.

hIhjqe3.jpg

The background "mountains" are just placeholders (just some rocks blown-up in size to mimic mountains).

Im sort of aiming for a mysterious mood, so i'm still exploring with lighting. The foreground left side i want to be a bit more dark and i need a logical explanation for the beam of light in the middle of the tower (maybe a ray of sun squeezing in through the clouds?).

Focal point yet to be determined, maybe ill make the windows/wall the FP, will have to do a paintover!

Thanks
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Quick paintover of what i'm aiming for:

J4lK59t.jpg

Next on things to di is getting some rocks done (decent ones, that is!)

Suggestions on where i could take this are more than welcome! :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Love the concept! Really digging where this is going, I think the door entrance is a bit big tho compared to the tower. (looking at the concept). The brick wall could use bigger tiles, are you gonna sculpt these as well?
    Will be back for more :) GL!
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    the composition is really good here.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Rhoutermans: I do agree with the door issue, I think at the moment I just have that mesh as a placeholder until I decide what to do with the entrance :/ Not sure if a simple one like the concept will be interesting enough, maybe i should do something a bit more detailed (but not a clue what that might be)

Bricks will be sculpted, yes. All that's there is a quick image to check on brick sizes/proportions/tilability etc. I've attempted a few times to make a decent brick texture for it but failed. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the good one :)

@Dudealan: Thanks! Initially i had a vertical layout planned, but wasn't sure how it would affect the viewing/reading of my portfolio, so i changed to this one.

UDK animation problem:

So i've been trying to get some movement into my scene. I did some cloth animation in Maya, baked it into the Joints and then imported it into UDK. For some reason though the animations are not the same?

Some of the joints seem to be "dead" in UDK. Anyone had this issue before? :/

Thanks!

(Will carry on trying and looking for a solution)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Quick update on the scene:

C6Q88U1.jpg

Added the paint strips around, will probably have to tone them down a little as they look very bright atm?

On a side note, i haven't been able to make a decent decal which will read the underlying surface normal map. I tried setting the blend mode to BLEND_Modulate and Unlit mode but the decal wouldn't be white. Going to carry on playing with it for a bit, but at the moment the paint just looks flat :/

Made some rope knots to place around where some of the meshes are attached (tied together).

Added a third tower at the very far back (yes/no?) to give the impression this is a continous wall of towers that used to watch over all the lands.

I think next on the list is going to be the top cloth (sculpt it) and the moving one (which I might do with vertex paint and shader as oposed to baking in animation since that was giving me some problems)

Any feedback, suggestions, things that are bugging anyone etc are more than welcome!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Quick update:

m45aMLv.jpg

Going to try and focus on getting the tilable ground/ wall/ the window structure / rocks done.

Thanks!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update on the ground texture and window structure, as well as placing some stuff around a bit more.

ck5t2cT.jpg

Going to do the tilable rock texture and then work on the focal point, it's a bit loose atm.

Would love to hear critique and/or suggestions! :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Lighting update:

kBzOixa.jpg

Up next ill be trying to add decent vertex paint/decals/particles of some sort.

Thanks
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Progressing nicely dude. I like the composition :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Progressing nicely dude. I like the composition :)

Thanks Lankus! I'm glad you like it, it's nice to have some fresh eyes have a look at it and give their input :)

Here's an update with the background mountain updated. Sculpted a height map and then took it into world machine for further adjustments. I think i need to edit the initial highmap to get rid of the U shape that's being formed atm which breaks the flow of it.

jXFKFNv.jpg

C&C welcome and appreciated! Thanks
  • Zinco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinco polycounter lvl 3
    Loving this so far! Really like that light is falling on the cloth too (at the top of the tower).

I agree with editing the mountain, it's minor but think it would help with the overall composition.

Can't wait to see more! :)
  • GameBred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good so far! a very nice comp going on with a great focal point, would probs just suggest getting something like a hanging lantern on this main tower to cast the lighting, really emphasising that glow that seems to be there now. So the light makes sense being there.

But other than that, absolutely loving the progress of this, keep it up bud! :thumbup:
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Zinco: Thanks for the support! Going to keep working at it to make sure this gets to where i want it to be :)

@Gamebred: I did think about that but at the same time there's tonnes of wood everywhere, maybe doesnt seem like a good idea haha. Thanks for the support.

Update on the scene:

Vu3piG5.jpg

Modelled some flags, the backgroud cloth tower and tweaked the lighting here and there. More to come soon! :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update:

ilpUDsT.jpg

Need to sort out the foreground element. The vertex paint is making the planes rather flat so most likely will get rid of that.

Then i'll probably tweak a bit here and there and will call it done.

Thanks!