Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Development - Props

Replies

• Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flumpinator polycounter lvl 10
    Some progress in UE4, got my wooden assets set up, some of them share texture space for the wear and tear masks and I've placed a trim detail mesh in, which is just a baked down half cylinder, fitted to each furniture piece.
    Also got the wall substance done; will be tweaking as I go along to unify stuff.
    Random lighting...sorry  :s

• Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so this project got neglected but now it's done and time to move onto new things. I think I will be focusing on individual props for a while as I seem to enjoy that more and I can get that finished project feeling sooner!
    For your perusal, here is my TES:Oblivion Arch Mage Quarters re-make project  :smile:

Night time lighting: 

Day time lighting:

Props:

Hrormirs Ice Staff with a re-design/update:

Dark oak material:

Stone floor material:

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    A very tidy portfolio piece, shows off your skill, Wouldn't sticking to doing small scenes like this be more rewarding in the long run than doing individual prop?  can you explain the masking you do in your wood material to expose the dirty layer? Hows the job search going? 
  • Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jack, I suppose but just for this next one I'll do something smaller to focus on, I've already decided on something so will post that up soon.. As for the wood material, it lerps between the dark oak material and just a plain lighter brown colour using masks I painted for each asset in Substance Painter. It's setup as my 'master' material in UE4 with the mask texture converted to a parameter so I can duplicate the material and plug in a different mask each time. I can post an image of the shader, it's simple but useful for this set of assets.
    I'm working freelance at a small studio actually which is great but I'm not working with textures or anything atm so I still need to work on improving and learning in my spare time, thanks for asking  :)
  • ray40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ray40 polycounter lvl 4
  • Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick post to show my master material for wooden assets in my scene in case it helps anyone out there at all. Compression settings for mask textures is set to Masks (no sRGB).

Setup 'master material' --> Convert mask texture node to parameter --> Right-click on your master material - Create material instance.
    Import mask textures --> Open instanced material you created --> Tick checkbox to access your texture parameter --> Plugin the mask you wish to use for the asset(s) --> Apply instanced material to correct mesh.

• Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Ref for my new project, I comped in a really interesting door I found for a bit more of a fantasy feel. I've also been looking into architecture to see what different parts are called.
    There is a series of books by Herbert Press that are really useful: How to read castles    How to read buildings  They are basically a visual library of architecture through the ages, illustrated with fine detail and with all the names and terms  :)
    The detail there in the B&W illustration is actually called a ballflower -  "an architectural ornament in the form of a ball inserted in the cup of a flower. It came into use in the latter part of the 13th century in England and became one of the chief ornaments of the 14th century, in the period known as Decorated Gothic."