Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge of Feb 2014

Replies

• Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @PyrZern: you dont need to subdivide your mesh that high for details like that, you can always clone and zremesh to get a better poly distribution.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Down to the final days for the month. Hosting another hangout today, stop by and say hello! https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/76cpj65tojut90qvsitkhs0vco?authuser=0&hl=en-GB

I'm probably not going to finish by the end of the month, not anything game res anyway.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Umm... How do you add in nice details like armor cracks and chips without blowing up your ZBrush ? If I am to add cracks to his armor, it would be like a 6-7 mill points subtool.

PyrZern as it was said, you can paint them in Photoshop and then convert them to normal information (crazybump, ndo...but they are paid software.)
    You can even do so with xNormal's plugin Height2Normal you just gotta take the cracks and covers them to some sort of height map and then convert it. It takes a few tries at first but when you are used to the way the software works.
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Nearing completion here hopefully, that beard has been one giant pain in the ass :P

medieval_dude_tex_by_jimficker-d788zef.jpg

@Torch: Agreed with PyrZern, those sleeves need a more accordion look. Also the retopology needs to match the flow of the folds and wrinkles, otherwise it ends up getting all weird and squiggly in the normal map.

@Anthony44: Those hips are way too slim compared to the shoulders!

@CapableWizard: Your sculpt is coming along very nicely, but id raise those arms otherwise its going to be a nightmare to pose.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Pav3d, that is rad dude! great job and just in time :D

The only crit is the wrist holding the axe, it looks a little too rotated to be at that natural pose. A suggestion would be to keep the axe at the same angle, just rotate the wrist up about 25% and adjust the fingers but this also may be too nit picky.

Great job to everyone in the thread, was great watching all the progress!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weapons_Lowpoly_final.jpg
    Weapons: DONE.

Going for the pose.

Pav3d : Dude looks dope! Congratz!
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    well done everyone
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Pav good going dude, the material definition is great. I would love to get to that standard one day :D

Just trying to get the textures sorted out now, hope I can finish him in the next day or 2. Thanks for the crits on the shirt everyone :)

gUNoEdY.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Ok so skin breakdown. I am just going to overview this stuff. If anyone has any questions I will be happy to go more in depth. So first off important things to note with skin in Marmoset.

1. Energy conservation - Will compensate for the color you put in the subdermis/ scattered areas by putting a color close to it's opposite in the lit area. So current the only way yo combat this is to keep the saturation of you subdermis on the low side also try to match it as much as possible to your skin tone.

2. Normal smoothing - Works great, unless you have large details. I had to bump up the intensity of my normal map and then keep the normal smoothing at a mid range so I didn't loose all of my wrinkle and scars.

Albedo :

With skin it is important to have a wide range of colors in your albedo. I used this as reference http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/05/color-zones-of-face.html for the overall areas of color in the face. I also added a yellow and red noise over the albedo to keep a nice variation. I did use AO in my albedo, but only as a mask to make the cavity/ occluded areas more red. The should be NO lighting in you albedo for PBR.

Gloss and Reflectance:

I did something subtle and different. I found this research on the reflectivity of the skin. I used it as a reference to make a small variation on the reflectance of the skin. The nose, forehead, and lips being more reflective and the cheeks, jaw, and mouth area being less reflective. This makes sense because different areas of the face have different amounts of oil on them. I broke down the areas of the face in the same way to create the gloss map. One other subtle thing I did was adding little bright specs and noise into both gloss and the relflectance.

Normals - The only thing to note here is to sculpt in your pores. You want to have them sculpted and very exaggerated. If you don't exaggerate them they will most likely not show up in your bake. For ref on skin / pore sculpting go here

Subdermis - I just made a soft noise map of yellow and red. Nothing really fancy here. I did add a bit of the skin coloration I mentioned above in to here. I did this to help a bit in combating the energy conservation/ greenish skin.

If you want to know more about something just ask. Here is a screen of my maps and my skin setting in Marmoset. ( Disclaimer I am no expert on this. Some of the stuff I am doing might be dead wrong).

v0QzoYo.jpg

JUg4utz.jpg
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Great work everyone.

My " Great Workflow" ended in failure ( as some had predicted way befoore :D ) and I tried to finish as much as I could. You will find the screenshots down below.

I am very sad to say that I won't be able to join next month's challange. Because:

1-) There are great holes in my workflow which I need to adress by taking advice from some people.

2-) My thesis caught up me with. My advisor wants to see results and my co-advisor avoids me :D

3-) I am learning C++ and lua by myself ( I am using Cryengine) . There is that RTS game I really want to make and I am not getting any younger. No programmer around here ( although it is a technopolis) posseses the skillset or will or interest to make a RTS game ( everybody knows C# and Javascript but no C++, life is a mystery :D )

4-) I have been working on building my own business ( game tech company) and there is a possiblity that it may become true this month. I need to reserve some time beforehand in the case it turns true.

4-) 2 months of modelling and learning programming everyday without weekends off started to take it's toll. I need to rest and play some games.

I will take a break and finish the models I started and then render them in Cryengine for presentation. I feel really bad when I can not finis things and then start something new.

Everyone keep working ! I believe you will achieve greatness in your art !

Regards and best of luck.

krjEeFW.jpg

bBdyAE2.jpg

VNdtfZZ.jpg

N6uWuu1.jpg

Odnkdbz.jpg

bf4VsMX.jpg

8zFVlYI.jpg
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Will probably not finish this challenge anytime soon, I got sucked into something else, but I'll still host a hangout for today. https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/7acpifgbrn874ie3tp1okroml4?authuser=0&hl=en-GB
  • stepcil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stepcil polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you for all suggestions. Here is my latest update.

Ddieftc.jpg?1
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    Great jib guys! Where is the march thread?
  • PyrZern
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finaly got the time to pose this guy correctly. (last few days were kinda crazy here)

Final version: MCNC_feb14_final_posed.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Aaaand im finished with this guy,

medieval_dude_by_jimficker-d78qvyh.jpg

Onto the next month's :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Go on Pav! Turned out great :D I did have one question, how do you accentuate the raised areas on the folds and other places, convexity/curvature map or something similar?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Damn. Look fantastic. How on Earth do I texture like that !?
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks guys :)
    @Torch: I have a cav map, but mainly its from just going in and drawing in the highlights and shadows with just a basic brush.
    @PyrZern: reference and fake lighting!
    yOERp8h.jpg

edit: also thats why its important to have topology match your folds!
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys , im really bussy , this need tons of tweaks and effects but i just want to show you.

• Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    Blech, didn't get to finish in time. Also didn't get to post any WIP pictures. Wonderful submissions this month, guys!

9zIvzsI.png
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, finally got max and PS reinstalled, so I'm coming in late.

Just about finished with the zbrush sculpt, will move onto the low poly soon. Aiming for a high res presentation piece.

h07Ufo6.png
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Great work guys, especially to those that finished!

I'm gonna pause my progress here in order to get on with the next challenge, I'm definitely gonna come back to it and finish but for now I'd like to have a shot at this months challenge. I didn't get as far as I'd have liked but I came into the challenge over 2 weeks late, plus I had a bunch of personal stuff going on. I've also got some time off work this month so I should be able to get really stuck in :)

p5jEuw7.jpg

Also thanks for the breakdown stevston89! Some cool information there and a good tutorial for skin :D
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Just wanted to leave these here. Nothing big :D:D:D

VygxSEW.jpg

8uoy7ok.jpg

B1LUFdV.jpg