Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge of Feb 2014

Replies

• Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Wow! Lots of updates since my last post haha. Glad to see everyone's progress!

Vatanist -- Thanks! I tried to squeeze the torso in a little bit. I think most of the size is coming from the chest piece. It was a very subtle change. Right now I can't tell if it is better now and I'll have to revisit it tomorrow with fresh eyes!
    Welcome to the challenge lokhorn! Nice progress so far! Thanks for the feedback as well. I shortened the fingers, but forgot to adjust the head. I'll get back to it tomorrow! Looking forward to more progress!
    Torch -- Glad you like it! I shortened the fingers and I think it helped out a lot, thanks! Haha I think this is the best I've done with folds so far. I have a hard time not going too overboard and making them very unnatural :/ I can never seem to keep the simplicity haha. I don't think we're being too strict on the specs. The main thing is sticking with what you set out to achieve. I don't see anything wrong with splitting him up into a few different maps :D
    Pav3d -- Love your sculpt so far dude! Love your style.

Here is what I've got so far. Need to look at the size of my head still. Need to finish the belts and weapons before I can go back and do a better detail pass.

Orthos
    feb_progress_05_by_rafferty_eggleston-d75b4rq.jpg

3/4's
    feb_progress_04_2_by_rafferty_eggleston-d75b4to.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony44 -- not sure which software you're using but you have some weird hard edges / smoothing groups in a lot of places. Most notably the arms, leg, and boots. Are you doing any sculpting or what is the process you have in mind?
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Wow these are looking awesome, it looks like everyone is learning a lot. Although it's already a week in I'm really tempted to join, my portfolio is really lacking and a character a month would really fill it out :)

Pav3d: This is looking great mate! I'm really interested in how much of the clothing/armour was done in 3ds Max (or whatever you use) and how much was in Zbrush? I tend to struggle with knowing when to use which package but you seem to have a good mix of clean forms and sculpted detail!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    weapons_basemeshes.PNG

Did the base meshes of the weapons in blender today. the last 15 min were a race to make the sword and now I have to leave! Going to sculpt these this evening.
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @CapableWizard: Thanks, the armour, skirt and shoulderpads were made in 3ds max and then imported. After making a base body in zbrush I zremeshed a low poly version then use it as a base in 3ds max. Although you can use Zbrush for a lot of hard surface work its easier for me to use 3ds max, depends on what you feel comfortable with really! Anything with folds in it was made in Zbrush from either extracting areas from my base mesh, or using cylinders or spheres.
    @Rafferty_Eggleston: Thanks, I really like the patchwork on your skirt, I may have to revise mine.. Your folds on your arms and hands are looking good but the boots could do with some work.

edit: Im seeing a few people are lifting the shape of the main axe/spear thing straight from the concept, i think its at an angle so its in fact a lot wider, or is it just me?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Rafferty - Cool progress, tunic looks good :)

Just been working on the 'low poly', still cleaning up the arms and head... although maybe I could just finish here and make him a headless soldier :D Hoping to have LP done and UV'd by the weekend.

5K1x31q.jpg
  • lokhorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting do retopo
    war_05.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist: I was rendering with Zbrush BPR and the just applying a Lens Correction in Photoshop add some chromatic aberation on the sides (it also kinda blurs all your picture and therefore acts as a AA technique)

Some of the renders (usualy the grainy ones) wera make in Blender with the preview in Cycles.

So there you go Zbrush or Blender with some really light photoshop in the end from time to time. Nothing really fancy... (And sorry I did(n answer in my prev' post, I was kind of in a hurrry!)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It's only a week in, and you folks are already making lowpoly ? Damn, I have to work harder now. Sadly I seem to have lost last night progress... :( Gotta rework on the boots again to make them look different from his pants. Might take some liberty with them... We will see.

qgN5SiG.jpg
  • Lazlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of you guys are moving so quickly :O

nOFCWpX.jpg
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    great retopo torch! great stuff so far guys :) keep it up, im with you hehe
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hitting 28 mils points (56mils tris, 380mb filesize) now. ZBrush is super slow, lawl. >_<"
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d -- Thanks for the feedback! I'll rework the boots tonight. Haha that is funny because I was thinking the same thing about your skirt portion before I started mine. I like how you have them more as leg guards whereas I had taken it to be more of an extension to an underlying coat. I'm with you on the polearm. I was planning on making it a fair bit larger to stylize it a bit, but I think the perspective is making it more narrow than it would be.

Excited to see some sculpting Kapoff
    Hitting 28 mils points (56mils tris, 380mb filesize) now. ZBrush is super slow, lawl. >_<"

Daaaaaang! Sounds like you need to optimize your mesh a little haha. Mine is just barely to 2mil. I can't get much higher than 8 mil on my PC.

Looking good Lazlow. Right now the legs feel pretty small compared to the arms. He looks pretty top heavy.

**edit - removed the over abundance of 'haha's I used.. :P
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Started detailing...here's a snipet 232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5448%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E263%3C565499254ot1lsi
    PyrZern: You shouldn't be anywhere close to 28k poly...retopo something with remesher or dynamesh. Even gears of war toons rarely hit that high when they were detailing.
    Lokhorn: Looking really good. I think you should barrel his chest some more as it is he has no room for any musculature under all that armor and cloth.
    Lazlow: good sculpt, his face scares me...looks like a zombie with the super pronounced bone structer and sunken cheeks
    Torch: So fresh and so clean!
    Kapof and Raf: Both looking very strong at this point!
    Anthony44: Welcome aboard! Looking forward to more.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lazlow, his beard is beautiful :)

BTW, guys, how old do you think this dude is ? I'm seeing sculpts of him ranging from between 30 yrs old to like late 60yrs old here. :P

Alright, managed to bring total points down to 15mil. So... 30m tris ? Had to delete some highest subdiv. (hopefully no one will look so close to see pixelated edge) <_< I also got rid of some of the inside faces. (from extracting.) But I failed at making the boots different from his pants. And make em look like actual boots. I did clean up some stuff. And adjusted his posture a bit though.
    BP4KKn9.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist -- nice progress on the glove! You've probably already got it since you've just started detailing, but I would ad some more volume around the creases on the fingers
    PyrZern -- you have to be able to get it a lot lower than that haha. I usually dynamesh/remesh the pieces with shitty topology so you don't need to sub-divide as much, or go back and add more geo where the detailing will primarily be. Additionally, I usually try to have my smaller / less detailed meshes as separate objects because you really don't need to divide them too many times. I wouldn't even go that high until you've really got down the solid folds and forms. I would definitely suggest that you get some boot and pant fold reference. I just spent the last hour looking up more references to fix the issues I have lol! Also, your thumb looks a little long and I would really thicken the fingers since they're in some nice leather gloves.

I like pushing his age, but I would say it is really easy to push it either way. Maybe he started to bald at an early age since he still has color in his hair haha.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Alot of people in here seem to be struggling with cloth. If you haven't already watched these do. It will make your cloth sculpting much better http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?182967-Naughty-Dog-UGM-Extended&p=1062029#post1062029.

Edit: I mean just the first video.

Been slow going for me. Trying to pick up the pace. Almost done base meshing. Here a screen from max. Keep it up everyone.

rGT7SJU.jpg
  • Terminator2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 - sweet link!. my main problem with cloth is finding good reference I think... anyway. really nice basemesh.

my progress: redid cloth on boots and pants (still wip), would like som crit on them... also redid armor in maya, worked on the gloves etc.

n4d7zhS.png?1
  • Lazlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update, plan to finish off some other projects this weekend and move this guy further along for Monday. I'll put it out there but would anyone fancy doing a google hangout over the weekend? Help each other move their work forward.

nLAlCSS.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be cool Lazlow. I have never done that while sculpting. Sunday would be best for me.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rafferty_Eggleston I'm trying lol :P And trust me, I already dynamesh and zremesh all my stuff. Most of my subtools have like .5k - 1k polys on lowest subdiv, and have like 700k - 1.5m on highest subdiv. #_# Anyway, down to 9.8m point polys atm. So, 19m tris @_@

@stevston89 Thanks for the link man :) I'mma go over it. Solid basemesh you got there !!

@Terminator2 Like the new pants and armors. Not sold on his boots though.

@Lazlow Never tried GHangout myself. Not sure how it will work. Sunday is fine with me as well. Depends on the time though !!! PST timezone here.

Remade his pants and boots. I think I overdid his pants' wrinkles. I kinda like his new boots' wrinkles but the boots themselves lack forms. Also not sure how to best approach the boots covers. I also adjust his posture again and beefed up his lower half. So now I like him a bit more :P Have yet to beef up his hands though. Gonna start making his weapons now. Then I will come back to his pants and face.
    Lssmor0.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloth is a loose term...don't forget that it's mostly leather he is wearing and armor grade leather. Depending on how old the leather is it will crease more or less. Also there will be stress cracks here and there. I aming for thicker leather on the gloves and boots and thinner leather for the pants. The jerkin/leatherette is thick but I imagine it has wool padding in it to absorb impact. His tunic is more of a wool material in my mind. The metal is the highly polished steel that the conquistadors would have used. He is just missing a helm and you might see what I mean by conquistador.
    That is what is great about these challenges, we all see it a bit different.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally :) I was referring to him as the Conquistador as well, before noticing the concept art is named Medieval Dude :P

Hmmm. leather pants..... hmmmmmm..... leather pants...... *trails off into ZBrush*
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Endless belts, just damage, head/face work left hopefully

3ABtkra.jpg

@Terminator2: Nice work, the collar folds need work though.
    @stevston89: Great base, belts and skirt look really good.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazlow -- It looks like your guy is shrugging a little bit. I would lower the shoulders or raise the head a little. It also looks like the hatchet's handle would be too big for your guys hands. I would increase the length of the fingers a little over making the axe handle skinnier. I would also revisit the folds. I've never done a google hangout either, but I work through the weekends; otherwise, I would join in. :(
    PyrZern -- I hate to say it, but I would rework the boots and pants again. The folds are haunting me too. I think I got my boots somewhere that I like last night, but I was looking at references and working the folds so much, they haunted me in my dreams (no joke) haha. Also, it looks like his hips are pretty big, giving him a womanly shape.
    Pav3d -- Nice progress! I love the shape of your fingers. What did you do for the threading at the bottom of his shirt?
    Terminator2 -- Nice work on the armor and folds! The boots look like they're working right now. I would say to make them more asymmetrical though. On his left boot, the top of the folded over portion is really flat, whereas you have a nice rounded form on his right boot representing the folded material better I think. The pant fold that is catching my eye the most right now is the one on his right inner knee. I'm still learning a lot about folds and fabric so I'm not much help on the critique. I'll try to come back later with a better some better knowledge!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pav3d Really digging your style man. What I would consider to change, is that his gloves, jerkin sleeves, and tunic sleeves, they all look almost the same. They all almost share the same seems. Whereas the jerkin and tunic have the same quilted look to it. Here's visual aid of that I mean :)
    9Bk2Woh.png

@Rafferty_Eggleston For real man, I'm not yet satisfied with my sculpt of his pants and boots yet. They're coming along though. Same with his weapons.

Because belts and buckles make everything better. And because fk yeah :P
    .... Will post real update later.
    7RM6eyH.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @PyrZern: Ha I didnt realise that, I was just following the seams on the concept, when theyre textured their differences will be more obvious. But I didnt know that the bottom parts on the skirt were part of the jerkin and tunic so thanks for that!

Looks pretty cool with all those belts! :P

@Rafferty_Eggleston: Thanks, its just some orbs crack brush lines, itll probably get a little alpha map when textured.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the time to finish the sculpt of the body. Working on the head right now and I will post all the Hipoly thingies after I'm done.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good going guys, really glad everyone got stuck into this challenge :)

Kapoff - Did you mean to post an image with your post? Can't seem to see any images coming up.
    Pyrzern - Cool idea with the belts and the chestplate, looks so crisp
    Pav - Amazing, really jealous of your sculpting skills man!

Mostly done with building the Low Poly, just doing a few bake tests and going to add hair + texturing. Cheers :)

s7KNu7C.jpg
  • ATaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are solid to say the least, absolutely great work from everyone, well done. Don't really think I'm in any position to over any critiques I'm afraid ha. Been teaching myself zbrush for a few months now but I thought that this would be a great learning experience.

Started this challenge back at the start of the month but only had nailed down some rough anatomy so here's my first progress post.

tumblr_n0qw9oBgs41s6wy4fo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0qw9oBgs41s6wy4fo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0qw9oBgs41s6wy4fo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0qw9oBgs41s6wy4fo10_1280.jpg

Still very early in the workshop at the minute, haven't a lot of time with uni in full swing now but since I am creating a character in zbrush for my honour's project I thought it'd be a good idea to make my mistakes here for wonderful people to critique and help.

And then question time cause I have had a lot of them and frankly I just can't wrap my head around certain areas of zbrush and workflow involving zbrush.

For instance how do you guys create your extra objects within zbrush? Importing base meshes from max or maya or maxing and extruding? or both?

And I suppose knowing how to take decent renders of my wips from zbrush, as it would be good to know cause a part of my does die every time I have to use the snipping tool to take a screengrab.
  • Lazlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had time to work on him this weekend :(

@ATaylor I would change your material, I find any of the grey materials to be the best. I actually use one that emulates mudbox but I have no idea where I got it from :\

I use dynamesh for extra items, block out some shape then switch over to the Topology brush and draw out a base mesh. Going back and forth between maya/max etc is also an option but I am trying to move my workflow to strictly Zbrush.

You want to press the BPR buttom in the top right of Zbrush, gives you something quick and dirty but presentable.

Hope that helps. Sorry there was no Google Hangout this weekend, I was kind of busy. How does next Sunday at 12pm PST sound?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @Pyrzern - The head is looking too small. Cloth is looking better though!

@ATaylor - Legs are looking really short. Other than that good start. I also recommend not using that matcap it tends to mask some issues while sculpting. Use something like matcap gray.

Small Update. Started sculpting. Still early work on this.

Ec5Q3RP.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ATaylor Good start man. Like everyone else said, put a different metcap on.Easier to see from different angle, and better depth and all that. For your question about making a new object/subtool; if it's hardsurface, like say his Chestplate, then I import basemesh from Maya. Sometimes I use Extract (like tight shirt on a body). Sometimes I use Insert Mesh Brush (buckles) and then Split them from belts.

There are many ways to do it man.

You can either Document -> Export to print the screen. Or you can hit BPR Render (Shift R) to get a nice preview.

@Torch Solid lowpoly man ! Are you gonna make hair planes for him ? Or a sculpture hair ?

@stevston89 Thanks budd. I will double check his head size. Love your progress.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some of here r not really noobs but yah : )
  • ATaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen I know right? Seriously talented people here.

Lazlow Yeah I spent my summer trying out Mudbox before moving on to zbrush, I know what you mean. Cool, thanks a lot will do.

And thanks for the tip about PBR, I'll check that out and hopefully be able to avoid plaguing you guys with screengrabs.

And oh no I had no idea there even was a Google Hangout. Not quite sure what they are, I get that they're similar to video conferencing? I'm afraid I'd be heading into uni on Monday morning at that time, but I'm frankly seriously flattered at the offer.

stevston89 Good call on the legs, hadn't spotted that, although I'm not sure if it only looks like that because of his draping down shirt thing hides his crotch, or if his legs are actually too short. I'll definitely look into it though thanks.

PyrZern Thanks for the render tip as well, will be nice to be able to avoid horrible screengrabs in the future. Thanks again for clearing up how to add extra subtools, it's been a thing I've been really unsure of for a long time. Haven't really used Insert Mesh Brushes before (aside from a cheeky ear I made for this guy actually), but I'll look into them as well hopefully at some point.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback, really seeing the advantages of doing challenges like this and getting a bit more involved in the forum. Already feel motivated and energised to do more work, but alas I probably should go to bed.

Thanks again everyone.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some of here r not really noobs but yah : )

Shhh..... The title is that way so more people would join up :P We might have to agree on an unofficial rule not to post any WIP of great quality on the first 2 pages. Only crappy blobs are allowed. After that it's too late to bail out :P
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Kay - I still feel fairly noobish mate, have a lot to learn haha

Pyrzern - Yeah, just using hair planes for this as I was going for the high res specs.

Just started working on a color pass this morning, trying to get the materials to look right, e.g. not make everything look too dark, this PBR stuff is all new to me! Thanks all

qgtvxJK.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Torch Nice shinney armor there ! And nice beard.

Alright folks, here's my real update :) I adjusted his proportion a bit. I think I can make his knees a little more obvious. Will try that tomorrow. Nite nite.
    m0iM5JX.jpg
  • fitzy2541
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fitzy2541 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Guys I have finally got internet to join in properly so here my zbrush sculpt so far I think I need to edit the sword size on the case what do you guys think ??

ovvl.jpg

Well done so far everyone taking part I have been checking every couple of days I could can't wait to see the end results
  • demon5026
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Polycount! I'm 21 and I'm trying to break into the industry as a character artist via self-teaching. After picking up 3ds Max and ZBrush over the last few months, I finally convinced myself to participate in this challenge. This is my first real attempt at creating a character so here's what I have so far.

Ugn0qrf.png
    A day may come when I learn good rendering and presentation, when I take portfolio shots that appeal to recruiters. But it is not this day. This day I sculpt!
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @torch trust me in this industry u have to always learn :) thats the beauty,imo. U got a reeeal nice basemesh, now with some zbrushing and alphas u will have a real good character on ur hand im sure :)

@pyrzern
    Yah only on the first pages and then the better pictures hahaha
  • stepcil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stepcil polycounter lvl 3
    hi,this is my blockout,i will learn as much as i can.
    OTIL4R7.jpg
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys , been a while since i post in here..

@Torch: Awesome color pass start! nice topology , you might want to make it feel more worn!
    @PyrZern: Looking really good! the proportions are much better , it might help if you strech the boots , they look too big i think.
    @fitzy2541: Yes that sword hilt looks really small! , i would change the belts , they look kinda floating.
    @demon5026: Hey! welcome man! i really like the proportions and overall of the character , good job!
    @stepcil: Great start , the face looks kinda thin to me , reminds me El Quijote!

im thinking on starting the retopo , maybe i will ad some stiches and stuff , what you think?

yrNJbPE.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @demon5026 That looks pretty good man. A close up shot of his face will be helpful. Quite hard to see from here.

@stepcil You really want to consider apply some nice MatCaps to the sculpt. It will look loads better to the eyes, with less confusing depth of field and such. Grey Matcap is the standard I think. Also, if you want him in a T-pose, you might want to rotate his arms to face the palms down (more relaxed state, closer to neutral arm behavior.)

@tierzilla I suppose it's up to you how much details you wanna add in, and how awesome you want this to look when it's done. Remember, we have until the end of the month for this. It's not even half way though yet.
    And yes, I'm spending more time on my boots.

Guys, any good way to make the belts look good ? Like, really, really nice. I have remade it a few times now, but I'm not that happy with the result. I want to make kickass belts.
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    @PyrZern: im making new ones in 3ds max. you can select and edge and then hit the extrude box , extrude with a negative value heigth and a small with , like 0.001.

0uPS6Nu.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Fitzy - Nice going but I'd say get the forms more solid before going into details.
    Stepcil & Tierzilla - Good start guys, looking forward to seeing more :)

Still working on the textures - getting the pose down in the meantime with a simple rig. I hate posing hands XD

METM2uD.jpg

EDIT: Oops just saw your crit Tierzilla, yep thanks for that, I definitely will!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ tierzilla - Watch your waist line it is sitting way to low at the moment also the upper chest plate is way too big. The concept has a really high waist line in terms of his outfit. Looking cool otherwise like the face/ beard.

@ Torch - Looking good. Might be worth it to fix up the proportions in the low poly to match the concept. Head looks too wide, upper chest (mostly the chestplate) looks a bit wide, and legs look to thick.

Small update from me. Got some of the armor sculpted up as well as some work on the skirt piece and gloves. Also did a pass on the face.

stJ6Y3b.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Btw guys whats the proper name for the axe/spear thing hes holding?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Pav3d - It's called a halberd. Which is a type of polearm.