Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge of Feb 2014

Replies

• TimPogson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here's what I got so far, just blocking everything out. Let me know what you think I could make better, loving this challenge. Anyways I'm off to bed.

MNC_Feb_Wip_Knight01.JPG
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    TimPogson wrote: »
    Hey guys, here's what I got so far, just blocking everything out. Let me know what you think I could make better, loving this challenge. Anyways I'm off to bed.

MNC_Feb_Wip_Knight01.JPG

Don't go off to bed yet, the image doesn't show !! It's 404.

@tierzilla, Thanks man. I will double check his proportion tomorrow first thing I wake up.
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    @tierzilla, only blender, matcaps. Good to hear that :)

20aq8w8.png
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Vatanist -- nice update! I think the chestpiece is starting to narrow down too much. You'll probably get this when you add more of the body anyway
    Kapoff -- Looking prett sweet so far. He is a little cross-eyed right now. Ears look a little small. I like the big nose, but there is an odd indent on the bridge.
    riceart -- thanks for the feedback! Your ear looks a little low. Might be the camera though
    Evil raz -- Nice update! The folds in the pants and boots don't really look natural atm. Thanks for the critique!
    Lazlow -- He has tiny hands right now.

Here is a little more progress. I'm not going to take the anatomy to a completely polished state, but I want to get a pretty solid base.

feb_progress_02_by_rafferty_eggleston-d74xc3m.jpg
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    336.jpg
    Will get back to facial features on detail pass
  • Terminator2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston: lookin good. I'm not condfindent enough in my anatomical knowledge to give more elaborate critique. :)

here's where Im at:
    zFRGyi6.png?1
    gotta go to school.
  • TimPogson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit my bad my Wip didn't post last night, my bad sorry here is what I have so far again. I dont know why the link was broken

MNC_Feb_Wip_Knight01.JPG
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Riceart - good idea using Tommy Lee as reference, think it fits the concept quite well.
    Terminator - Cool cloth work on the boots, the back might be worth taking another look at.
    Tim - I like the beefy look you're going for with him, feels like a character with a lot of strength :)

Just another update, wanted to fire off a quick render of the progress. Getting there slowly but surely XD

Hg3KymJ.jpg
  • riceart
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I won't be late anymore. Also nice progress people !

Damn you are all fast :D

Made usual anatomy study for face and body. Face uses eye length and body uses head length and width for measurement. Also purple lines defines eye-nose-mouth positions.

Finished today's goal face anatomy. Used mask for facial hair positions. Tomorrow's gaol is to finishing the facial hair and eyes.

1QZchcF.jpg

7H81bgV.jpg

A4os99b.jpg

48xqBVO.jpg

J0Tzcuj.jpg

l32LAsi.jpg

bNQRfAD.jpg

Feedbacks:

@ Torch:

Leather armour looks though and real nice. Nice thickness there. I believe metal chestplate is a little bit thinner though.
    have a check at your cheeks again. There is so much facial hair I can't say anything but there should be a bit more puffiness.

@ riceheart:

Real good. Same thin with the chestplate as Torch.

@ Terminator:

Nice overall progress. Upper parts of boots are different though. There seems to be a button or pin that holding there.

@ PyZern:

Good face anatomy. The brows are thinner. His hands and fingers are supposed to be thicker ( because of the leather gloves you see) . ALso try to widen/flatten the shoulders.

@ stevstone89:

Real good face there. Nice work. Let me help you with blocking out process :

BTpwWYD.jpg

@ EvilRaz

Real nice boot details. You even catched the little button/pin detail many people missed there.
    Try to soften the beard please :D

People you are great as always. Keep up the good work. See you tomorrow night. ! :D
  • kahlusha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of love creeping this thread. It's wonderful to see the way different workflows and styles progress. And I think it's a helpful learning aid too. Maybe I'll attempt to jump in at some point before 2014 is over.
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    You guys are damn fast! its really nice to see more people joining us!
    here is a closeup of the face.
    3jJpJka.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Terminator2 His face looks kind of like that Lannister dude from Game of Throne. So awesome.
    @TAN Glad you join us :P Can't wait to see your progress in this.

I remade his breastplate. And was struggling with his shoulders/arms/hands. Will spend more hours on it. Where should his elbows be; right after his gloves ?
    WIP008.jpg
  • Lazlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston. I hadn't even noticed it. Spent a little more time today, not as much as I wanted but ah well.

@Torch I really like your gloves so far

Z7NT4Ib.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    PyrZern, cool progress dude, but i think you need to bring the groin on the trousers down a bit. also on the face i think you should hollow his cheeks out a bit and make his cheekbones more prominent. I would put his elbow slightly above the glove.

heres a quick preview of the head i started tonight with some placeholder beard to get the feel,

MedievalDude_02.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lazlow Looking good there man. He seems pretty aged though.
    @JohnnyRaptor Thanks man! I will go back to his face next.

Unhappy with the lack of body underneath causing problem with everything else, I made the body from his pants. (that sounds funny by itself O o') And sculpted in some muscles and forms.
    WIP010.jpg~original
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    TimPogson -- Looking good so far! The fingers are really small and the nose is really short. I like how you have made the shoulder pads asymmetric.
    Torch -- The folds on your pants and boots look a little odd atm. I like your gloves and belts/accessories!
    PyrZern -- I would widen up your torso even more yet! Even looking at the model on the left of your pic, the torso is much thicker. With your beefed up arms, his hands now look tiny.
    Unhappy with the lack of body underneath causing problem with everything else
    Haha that is why I decided to do his whole body. For me, it definitely has been helping. The anatomy practice never hurt either!
    Lazlow -- Nice update! Your legs are looking really short and the feet may be a little small too. I would soften the transition between the nose and face
    JohnnyRaptor -- Really liking the feel of your character so far! Nothing beneficial to add yet haha

Here is what I've got tonight. This is as far as I was really planning on taking the anatomy. I've also got some of the armor started.

feb_progress_03_by_rafferty_eggleston-d7521qh.jpg

feb_progress_04_by_rafferty_eggleston-d7521ue.jpg
  • Vatanist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vatanist polycounter lvl 11
    A little bit further refinement, head retopologized.. Still not happy...
    U guys rock.. All of you great job..
    @JohnyRaptor : Put sum earlobs mate :) U cant save by not doing the ears, not fair :)
    @Rafferty eggleston : Looking better mate.. Chest look a little larger from side view i think..
    Pyrzen : Good progress getting better at every update.. modeling males is easier than females ;)
    Torch : You took off man ! U almost done :) Looking very good..
    And every other participant good job..
    Good luck everyone...

[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img809/7707/juc4.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img836/4531/qect.jpg[/IMG]juc4.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, tons of progress! Lot of people doing this one as well. I will try to do some feedback now and then post some progress later.
    Vatanist: Great start. Nice character in his face. The Breastplate is different but it's all in the eye of the beholder!
    Rafferty: Great start. His neck seems a little short.
    PyrZern: Nice progress. The anatomy of his arms and shoulders is wrong. THe way the biceps insert is off. The face still has a feminine quality too it but I can't put my finger on it.
    JohnnyRaptor: I like the sculpt! He looks like he is on the plump side. His eyes might be a tad too wide.
    Lazlow: Nice start man! He looks a bit cadaverous, maybe eyesockets and cheeks too sucked in. The shoulder pads are a bit different from the concept. In the concept they are each one piece of formed metal.
    Tierzilla: Solid work. He is a bit egg-headed.
    Tan: Good start. The cheeks seem to be off a bit.
    Riceart: Looking good.
    Torch: Solid piece. How do you plan to do the beard in real time?
    If I missed you I will get to you next update!
    Cheers :D
  • lokhorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Friend told me about this challenge so I'm trying it. I started from basemesh. Here is my progres:
    zvlt.jpg
    n1bq.jpg

Some nice characters already :)
    Rafferty_Eggleston: I think the hands are too big and head could be little bit smaller, but good start
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    basemesh_face.PNGbasemesh_profile.PNG

Thanks for the feedback people. Started the basic modeling today. Tried to block the proportions as well as I could and prepared everything to be worked on. Well at least did all the symmetric basemeshing... Next step, a quick pass on the folds and the mid frequency details before starting the modeling of the weapons.

PS: Also, just noticed; The shoulder pads aren't symmetric at all... The right one is made of 4 pieces of plate for mobility and the left one is one heavy plate for defence.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Tan - Good planning there mate, makes me think I should've taken more time at the start with some proportion guidelines XD I would say the head is coming along, maybe look at some more skull references as the side could be tweaked a bit.

Tierzilla - Nice start on the head, the scar looks cool as well!
    Pyrzern - Nice going so far, that's a good base to work off :)
    Rafferty - Its cool how you got the aged look in his face while still having that 'warrior' look :) Maybe hands are a little long? Cloth folds look cool
    Vatanist - Good work so far, maybe have some of the neck showing so he doesn't look so hunched, maybe it'll look different with the full figure
    Lokhorn - Cool start!
    Dimfist - Good question...uhhhh.... *cries and jumps out of window headfirst*

Couple of bits to finish up still, the cloth folds are still lacking in places so I want to clean those up as well as add some irregularities - will probably take another day or 2 at the most to finish the high poly and replace that rectangular stick with an actual sword haha. Cheers all :)

R8aRmSs.jpg
  • Terminator2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lokhorn: nice start. looks like the legs might be a bit short, but maybe that's just perspective. the hands look a bit small especially from the side.

Kapoff: looks like the armor around the neck is to tight, and the transition from shoulder to neck looks a bit flat.

Torch: nice one!

Here's an update from me.

the face (beard and hair are placeholder, planning on using hair cards)

pdyTE7L.jpg?1
    QpiPZLQ.jpg?1

added a sword and axe that still need some work, the sword is probably to thin..

zElpuPi.png?1

any tips on the belts, right now I think the ones that the sword and axe hang in look a bit strange. maybe I should just attach those belts to the ones around his waist?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really have to catch up to you folks now !!

@Terminator2 Love your sculpt man. FOr his diagonal belts, I think they are just studded onto the other belts. At least that what I plan to do.

I adjusted his torso and shoulders. Haven't touched his face yet. But I will soon.
    WIP011.jpg~original
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the face. I am thinking I will do the beard as cards but I had fun sculpting it. :D
    232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7484%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E263%3C2%3C4353254ot1lsi
    Terminator2: Looking good! Keep it up.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff: looks like the armor around the neck is to tight, and the transition from shoulder to neck looks a bit flat.
    But isn't is on the concept? The part of the plate that is on the shoulders is almost flat (nearly planar) and neck surrounding opening is almost invisible.

But I'll see what I can do to correct that.

You got a cool face going on there Terminator2 but the profile fin of bothers me.
    First, the eye when you look at it from the side should be slightly slanted. I mean by that that the superior eyelid should be a little bit in the front compared to the inferior one.
    eye-113206_640.jpg?i
    EDIT: Why the frack is this picture censured, it's just an eye! Well there's another one. And no direct image this time, just a simple ol' link.

And the space between your nose and you mouth is a little bit too big atm I believe, and also a little bit too flat looking.

Dimfist - your dude's face reminds me of this guy.
    Mitch%20Pileggi.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell ya...Agent Skinner. He's a badass :D
  • Terminator2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff you are right on the armor being flat on top, but I just felt like it needed a bit of curve around the neck... if that makes sense. Thank you for the crit on the face, will definitely look over it today.

Dimfist, nice face!

PyrZern, thanks man ,sounds like a good idea I'm gonna try it and see if it works.

good update. With the thickness of his arms I think he should have a bit wider back.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Dimfist - Nice start on the head man!

Thought I'd take a break from the organic stuff this morning and get the base weapons sorted:

fi5shTz.jpg
  • lokhorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terminator2: Thanks, maybe I will shorten the legs I'm still not sure
    I think the upper eyelids are too big and the mouth could be little bit higher closer to nose. Keep going nice progress :)

cypc.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpt_01.PNG

Applied some of the advise that was given, asymmetrised the shoulders and started to sculpt some of the Hi-freq' details that would be harder to produce once the mid details are in place. (yeah, straight lines are way harder to maintain once the folds are done and the metal plates have been hammered...)

Gotta fold all the cloth now... I think I 'll need some motivation coffee.

oh_god_why_guy_rage_face_meme_poster-rc383aa28a2e04ebb908b464c77ece243_a21y_400_2945497_thumb.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Lokhorn and Kapoff, those are coming along great :)

Should've asked this earlier - when the specs say 2k Maps for high res, does this mean everything (head, body, weapons) should be contained on one 2k map, or can it be something like 2k for the body, a separate 1k map for the head? Cheers :)
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hello guys, i thought Id wait until mine was a bit more covered up till I posted, heres how hes looking atm:

The beard/hair is just temporary, Im going to replace that with planes.

Lb0MZ0Q.jpg

@lokhorn: Really need to define those folds a lot more.
    @Kapoff: I really like the head, you got a close up of that?
    @Terminator2: face and armour is looking great, but its really let down by rushed folds
    @Torch: 2k for body, 2/1k for head and 1k for weapons is what Id suggest.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ok thanks for that, awesome folds btw!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d: sure thing mate. It's still the first sculpt I did the other day that was Zremeshed in order to be less CPU'vore.

Here are the Zremeshed version that I work with on the global sculpt and the Dynamesh version without the polypaint.
    (Oh and I love the way you interpreted the concept in your own style by the way!)

face_test_01_sculpt_zremesh.jpg
  • Terminator2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d wrote: »
    @Terminator2: face and armour is looking great, but its really let down by rushed folds

Thanks, any particular area you think of?

Your sculpt is looking really good, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @Terminator2: The knees and the boots, try not using the concept for fold refs, look at baggy trousers and loose leather boots for ref.
    @Kapoff: looking good!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MCNC_feb14_sculpt_mid.jpg

I'm done, I'm so done ... for today! MOUAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Tomorow: The Weapons!:poly142:
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston, thank you,
    Vatanist, thanks mate, iv added the ears now since i might do alpha for the hair..not sure yet tho eheh

also, i did a quick paintover on your guy, marking where you need to match it to the concept.

vatan.jpg

also i noticed on the concept the scar on his forehead goes all the way to his nose (i need to fix this myself). might want to add that to the highres on yours too.

Dimfist, thanks :), hopefully once i sculpt the body and clothes/armour properly, the volume will match better.

Torch, solid progress, but i think his upper body needs to be a bit longer. give a bit more space under his armpits.

Another update on the face. i weathered his face a bit more than what hes done on the concept. might keep it, might tone it done, not decided :S also didnt notice the scar on his forehead goes across his nose too! (dimfits sculpt made me look twice)

MedievalDude_03.jpg

anyway, hopefully get cracking on the body soon
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d: Wow man , superb style reminds me of fable! , how do you manage to make the folds so clean?
    Kapoff: Overall really nice! , the boots looks kinda flat the toes area.
    Torch: The halberg looks kinda small, maybe scale it a bit.

this is where im at. looks more like a pirate than a warrior/knight , dont you think?
    oFKRKId.jpg
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor: That wrinkles !
    dat-ass-original.jpg
  • Lazlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JohnnyRaptor - I feel like his head is a little too wide? Perhaps that is because I am missing the perspective of the body though. Get down and dirty with that lower part of his nose, his is pretty messed up :D

@Kapoff - Looking good, perhaps bring his gloves up a little closer to his elbows? They feel short to me. Really like the look of the boots.

Went into some detailing work today, really need to get all my block in work done though. Took note of your comments @Pyrzern and tried to dial it back a little, I was exaggerating his age because I tend to be way too subtle in my sculpts.

pZghpFI.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow ! I just got mind-blown 3-4 times in a row, looking at what you guys have made.

Struggling a bit with his boots. They don't look like shoes :P Also switching from Photobucket to imgur cuz the former is exceeding 10GB bandwidth :P
    BqxDtBx.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im going with something like this for the boots,

medieval_ankle_boots_by_nimpsu-d3cvesp.jpg

and stitching like the image below, but the opening/laces in the front instead of the side,
    stivaletto_lacci.jpg
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Pav3D: You might want to check your proportions. That head looks too big to me.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to blocking this guy out.
    Loving this months concept. Maybe I will actually finish this time :poly136:

Anyways this is what I have so far. I'm going to jump into Max and remake the shoulder pads and belts along with the weapons. Not really getting the best results in zbrush.

Properly need to rework the proportions a bit too. Feels a little off to me but I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

lf4k.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @tierzilla: Thanks I build them up with standard/orbs cracks/clay buildup, smooth where appropriate and hpolish some planes in.
    @JedTheKrampus: youre right, ive adjusted it.
    @JohnnyRaptor: great boot refs!

JlJINE1.jpg
    Belts n damage pass to go, that breastplate is driving me nuts, ive adjusted it 1000 times.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapof. What are you rendering that with? It has a real loose almost painterly feel with the tones
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this thread is full of so much awesome.
    @pav3d: love those arm wrinkles.
    @pyrzern: Love the face dude, it's got that grizzly tough man feel.
    @tierzilla: Nice start, the upper leg though feels a little to vertical in my opinion.
    @Zicov: It's a good start, I don't see anything I would call off at the moment personally.
    @dimfist: nice face, I like the sculpted beard.
  • Anthony44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About done with the low poly block work (all done with free soft wear) 4d9566f4a551415f07957246797fb246.png