Home Technical Talk

Low Poly for Gillie Suit. Suggestions?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,
so I made this Gillie suit/hood and now want to create a game ready asset for it and bake it done . However I don’t quiet now how to approach it. I thought about creating a bunch of planes and then masking the jutes out, but that would really destroy the silhouette. Another method would maybe be just to draw out new topology on top of it but then the silhouette would look really flat. I ultimately want to make it so one can actually disable the Gillie part so you can just see the viper-hood(on the left).

Eo23NlE.png

(sorry about the poor render, my workstation is poop :poly142:)

Anyways, thanks alot in advance. Any ideas are appreciated

Replies

• JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    create a few planes in various shapes..say 3-4 of them, UV them in the 0-1 uv space, create your alpha texture (by hand, tracing photos, etc), and apply this to the meshes.

now use your 3-4 meshes and create the gillie effect by placing them around by hand till you get the desired result.

Alternatively, Im sure theres a ton of free scripts and tools to automatically spray/scatter a selection of meshes (your gillie alpha planes) on to a surface(ur viper hood).

If you need even more variation, you can create more shapes to scatter around.

In the end, you can combine them all in to one mesh, to hide them easily
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    create a few planes in various shapes..say 3-4 of them, UV them in the 0-1 uv space, create your alpha texture (by hand, tracing photos, etc), and apply this to the meshes.

now use your 3-4 meshes and create the gillie effect by placing them around by hand till you get the desired result.

Alternatively, Im sure theres a ton of free scripts and tools to automatically spray/scatter a selection of meshes (your gillie alpha planes) on to a surface(ur viper hood).

If you need even more variation, you can create more shapes to scatter around.

In the end, you can combine them all in to one mesh, to hide them easily

True, but then I loose all the work in regards to actually making the gillie as a mesh... I actually want to find an efficient way to bake this guy, to retain all this nice detail and this depth that you cant get by just placing photos on the mesh.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I'd retopo this and bake into a single mesh to get a flat base, and add what JohnnyRaptor said on top of it to get some fluff.
  • Angry Beaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    You could always go the Shadow of the Colossus root http://wiki.polycount.com/HairTechnique?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=making_of_sotc.pdf as what you're pretty much doing is a derivative of a hair technique
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm interesting I havnt thought about that yet..a combination of the two. Thanks guys ! imma try that
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    For future reference: these are things you think about before modeling a full highpoly. Just modeling three different strups would have been a bunch faster.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah you'd lose the highres gillie work, but having it will help you place the lowpoly planes. You can look at the highres gillie as a look-dev and use it for showcasing the highres suit, but to use it for the lowres normal-bake I don't think you will get a good result from it unfortunately.