Home General Discussion

Source 2 L4D2 possible screenshot leak

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
CordellC polycounter lvl 11
NeoGAF user CBOAT has a bit of a reputation for leaks/good predictions, and here's his latest bomb:

E: These photos are believed to be from 2011

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758999

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/source-2-left-4-dead-2-prototype-screenshots-leaked.244266/

iROKKZmOqnGGn.jpg

iFvlyK14qsQXd.png

iVHxjK8WjwbsF.jpg

Also from Facepunch, no idea where he got it. Probably fake.
8d53a0dcf8.png

Replies

• ScottP
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Sick!

Im real curious how it will compare to UE4 and Cryengine in terms of workflow and usability.
  • MikeF
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    the bullet points on that last slide sound awesome to anyone that works with source. I really hope this is for real
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Looks pretty neat. If this is indeed real and not just a really slick mockup by an enterprising modder, it looks like Valve has implemented some nice new lighting features that didn't previously exist in Source -- specifically some form of realtime or realtime-ish radiosity.

Hopefully the next iteration of Source is a lot more friendly to work with.
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Looks pretty neat. If this is indeed real and not just a really slick mockup by an enterprising modder, it looks like Valve has implemented some nice new lighting features that didn't previously exist in Source -- specifically some form of realtime or realtime-ish radiosity.

Hopefully the next iteration of Source is a lot more friendly to work with.

Last slide says a little bit on that (once again, if this is real):
    Redesigned Tools & Workflow
    • Powerful GUI front end for content authoring.
      • Can be easily extended with custom and pre-game assets
    • Browser for quickly finding, managing, editing assets
    • Simple, automatic compiling of content

Someone else on the ValveTime comments shared another photo from one of the other slides. Updated OP with it. He also stated these are from 2011 (rumor of course).
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    IF that's really we might get some info about Source 2, on GDC.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty close to the concept art this time!

036.jpg

iROKKZmOqnGGn.jpg
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    iniside wrote: »
    IF that's really we might get some info about Source 2, on GDC.

Not that likely considering these are reputedly three years old.
  • jddg5wa
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    I am just curious how someone even gets a leak like this. I can understand concept art but screenshots of files and folders seems so random.

And a single screenshot of a PowerPoint slide, even weirder. If this is even real is it possibly a staged/planned leak?
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Yep, with marketing schemes these days...I'm always a bit skeptical about a 'leak'.

It does look like an interesting scene though.
  • CrazyMatt
    I feel it's too early to tell for myself to feel impressed by those shots. I feel I've seen better done with CE2, CE3, and UE3, and UE4. That's just my opinion though.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Well Source2 was kinda confirmed by photo's during player's visit to Valve for International. Can't find the image but there was Source2 check-in's.

IwAmjjph.jpg
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    saw it yesterday, looks ok, some say those screenshots are quite old now, so I expect a big jump, now source 2 is pretty much confirmed, and its very likely they try this first on L4D3, the only problem is when is HL3 coming out, at least officially confirmed.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That power point is from 2011 btw...
    Since the initial leak, sources claim the PowerPoint presentation was actually made in 2011, which means this sneak peak is likely to be far older and less of a good representation than we originally thought.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Definitely can't be real, I've seen custom maps on CS:GO that look better in terms of graphics.
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    As stated in OP and three other times in here, the person who leaked one of these screenshots stated that they are from 2011.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Source 2 is real, half life 3 development is real. Its not a question of whether this exist or not, its a question of when Lord Gaben will release such information, thus making it "official".

Bet your favorite pair of ninja panties that Source 2 will be pro-indie game development in the same light as unity/udk, as well as that the next generation of games will come with a focus on user created content via the steam workshop and asset store.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Gabe Newell made a small comment about Source 2 in his reddit AMA.
    The biggest improvements will be in increasing productivity of content creation. That focus is driven by the importance we see UGC having going forward. A professional developer at Valve will put up with a lot of pain that won't work if users themselves have to create content.