Home Technical Talk

Can Zbrush completely replace maya or max for modeling.....

Okey here is the deal. Can Zbrush totally replace maya with modeling? I have seen people do retarded stuff in Zbrush, that from their opinion, would pain in the ass to do it in Maya or Max.

What do you think

Replies

• Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Not for production.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    not a chance in its current form, but I love zbrush and think some things like zmesher retopology are going to make production pipelines very smooth in the future
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Depends on what you're making but generally no
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have seen people do retarded stuff in Zbrush, that from their opinion, would pain in the ass to do it in Maya or Max.
    Ask them to change something and see what color their face turns. ;)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Ask them to change something and see what color their face turns. ;)
    This hah
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    I'm confused by the use of the word retarted. Is it being used in a good way or a bad way?
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa wrote: »
    I'm confused by the use of the word retarted. Is it being used in a good way or a bad way?

I used for awesome way. They do incredible things in Zbrush.
    Super wrote: »
    Not for production.
    What do you think not for production

I only want for example very very complex hard surface shape in Zbrush or something else, and imported it to Maya, to retopo? Can i do that?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Boban wrote: »
    What do you think not for production?

the production process for a game or a film can be very long, requiring the artists to make large scale changes over and over again to please the art directors, company management and marketing experts. These kind of changes can be very very hard to do in zbrush without going all the way back to blobby dynamesh shapes.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    I've never tried this mainly cause it's never been obvious to me but how is ZBrush in terms of snapping stuff to the grid? Thats an important part for all modular designs in production.

and personally I believe no Zbrush will not completely replace maya for modeling. At least in its current form
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no grid in ZBrush whatsoever. AFAIK anyway...
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I especially have hard time to model vehicles and all that stuff, cars, trucks, trains etc. Because, i am not sure how to set up images planes, in one side is good, in other side is off the reference.

I want to try without it. At least to put all reference in my second second monitor. And to try to model with poly. Because i don't understand NURBS>
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There's no grid in ZBrush whatsoever. AFAIK anyway...
    There's not even really any kind of scale in ZBrush. Lord knows my job would be easier if I could set the thing to millimeters and be absolutely certain that it'd stay that size without any kind of completely arbitrary rescaling on export.

There are actually grids in ZBrush - you can turn them on under the Draw palette used for setting up image reference planes. Near as I can tell you can't actually snap geometry to them though.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I especially have hard time to model vehicles and all that stuff, cars, trucks, trains etc. Because, i am not sure how to set up images planes, in one side is good, in other side is off the reference.

I want to try without it. At least to put all reference in my second second monitor. And to try to model with poly. Because i don't understand NURBS>

A lot of blueprints are off on the web I've found. So that could be your problem but you can re transform it in some cases.. Anyways I assume you mean you want to try to model by sculpting and you don't understand high poly modeling (NURBS is another method of the idea). But you shouldn't really skip the foundational elements such as that, especially if you want to work with hard surface objects. You need to at least understand why subdividing does what it does to sculpt.

Course if you're a medical illustrator or 3d concept artist you could just dive straight into Zbrush and kitbash and play around to your hearts content but you're talking about replicating modern vehicles which requires a little finesse!
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Understand. Actually i was interest if in Zbrush can be sculpted vehicles and hard surface things, and later to be retopo in maya or topogun.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It CAN be used for that, yes. It's not generally the most efficient choice, however, in a production environment. The iteration time is too high.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    If you are interested in technique there are some good videos out there, here are 2 that I like

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBv8jww8DCU"]Zbrush Hardsurface Techniques - YouTube[/ame]

and some more organic mixed with hard surface stuff.(for concept work)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScJxyEJnm8"]Ben Mauro - YUKON PIT CREW: PART 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are awesome tutorials thanks.
    It CAN be used for that, yes. It's not generally the most efficient choice, however, in a production environment. The iteration time is too high.

@WarrenM
    Are we speaking only for hard surface in Zbrush or also with characters? Because, i think people start first in Zbrush and then retopo in other programs, piece by piece.

So no one, is making hard surface in Zbrush first and then retopo in other programs why? Should i use Maya for only for hard surface and Zbrush for organic?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think starting there and retopo'ing in Max or Maya is a good way to go on some things. Characters, certainly. Hard surface exploration, sure. My reservation is in using ZBrush entirely for hard surface which I just don't think is currently possible ... not efficiently anyway.

But then there will always be someone who does exactly that who pops up to tell me I'm wrong. Should be any moment now ... :P
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, everyone have own workflow. But i really want to know if its possible.
    If you don't mind, can you tell me the workflow for building characters or hard surface.
    I know this.
    1.Getting concept art.
    2.Start in Zbrush get the high poly model or start with base mesh in Maya or Max and do the rest in Zbrush.
    3.Separate whole body from the character, and have each part as a subtool. Use GoZ to import for example let's start the head, in Maya or topogun. Retopo, get nice retopology, edge flow etc.Do this for rest including accessories.
    4.What comes next, i am confused from this part.....
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Well, everyone have own workflow. But i really want to know if its possible.
    If you don't mind, can you tell me the workflow for building characters or hard surface.
    I know this.
    1.Getting concept art.
    2.Start in Zbrush get the high poly model or start with base mesh in Maya or Max and do the rest in Zbrush.
    3.Separate whole body from the character, and have each part as a subtool. Use GoZ to import for example let's start the head, in Maya or topogun. Retopo, get nice retopology, edge flow etc.Do this for rest including accessories.
    4.What comes next, i am confused from this part.....

Well you going to have to UV your new topology if you want to texture it and bake down some of the hi res details. Basicially:

4. UV your new topology
    5. Texture and bake your hi res details.
    6. Render in some 3d app like Maya or 3ds Max using mental ray or other render engines.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But i really want to know if its possible.

The process will work, it's nothing unexplored.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    You can do a lot in zbrush but some things can be done a lot faster in max or maya. The more tools you use the better your productivity will be
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr wrote: »
    You can do a lot in zbrush but some things can be done a lot faster in max or maya. The more tools you use the better your productivity will be

What things are better to be done in Max or Maya? Yes i know, i am not limiting only for Zbrush. But i love the program. Just i am curious about, does things like hard surface is better to be done in Zbrush or Max/Maya for production. Either way, i'll use for personal projects.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Introducing zbrush where it isn't explicitly needed adds time to the schedule. An experience hard surface modeler can pump out hard surface assets faster than it takes to sculpt a rough and retopo or noodle into shape in zbrush.

From what I've seen with stylized diffuse only work, it adds about an extra day of work but you do get the benefit of a more unified texture look
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I work with a few guys who are pretty much explicitly Zbrush only (with the exception of a few things in Max for exporting). The work they do is fantastic.

There's a LOT Of people in our industry who can do it, and do it very very well.

I personally don't like excluding any tool from a pipeline on principal, but I very much prefer to simply use Zbrush for organic detailing only.

But yes.. it CAN be done.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Okey here is the deal. Can Zbrush totally replace maya with modeling?

Yes it can.
    In some cases you can build a high and low assets entirely in Z, using maya/max only for setting up proper scale. It's not always the most productive way of building your model, but Zbrush been evolving rapidly over last few years, hell, even Zremesher was introduced not long ago.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's matter of personal preference or simple if you work in big studio, the pipeline is different? Or you can create hard surface where you want?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    There's been a lot of debate about the efficiency of ZB when it comes to hard surface, it really depends what you're trying to do - if you're just winging a design and trying out different ideas, it might be better to make a rough sculpt in ZB and retopologise it when you're happy with what you have.

If working from a set concept, some people prefer to jump straight into a 3D app and model it out, rather than sculpting as you can be a lot more precise.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    got a side question, do you guy sculpt on without having topology in mind (assuming the base mesh is a obj or starting from zsphere), so you sculpt freely until hit the retopo stage, then you do this piece by piece in some other program? and how does the new remesher perform in real case? how good is it anyway? do you regard that as a real deal or you think it's not there yet for final delivery?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Zbrush is like clay in digital form, and you can make almost anything from clay in real life. So I guess it's possible.

I would use both max and zbrush/sculptris when it makes sense though. I think creating texture would be a lot more faster in sculpting programs but if I want something simple as a soda can, creating a Cylinder in Max and making chamfers is better.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    An example of someone doing a lot in ZB: http://www.isaacoster.com/?page_id=1904 He's using mainly Zbrush, but there still are a few shapes that are just easier to do in Sub-d.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    @JacqueChoi: of the folks you know that can exclusively use ZBrush, are they character artists or any doing modular environments?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is a bit of an odd thread... Of course one could argue that everything *could* be done in Zbrush. Or in Mudbox. Or in Max. Or in Blender ! If that's your thing, just go for it ! There is no need for confirmation.

I think what it boils down to is the level of tolerance of different artists... For instance, I know I personally don't mind the Zbrush interface - I actually find it to be pretty cleverly thought out. Some hate it tho ...

However I cannot, and I mean, I really can not stand manipulating a 3D model in a viewport with inconsistent viewport performance, with a framerate dipping down under 10 fps the closer one gets to a model ; and furthermore, I find the input scheme requiring to click-drag outside of the silhouette of the model to rotate it to be completely counter productive. Does that mean that great things can't be done in Zbrush ? Absolutely not :)

I often sat in awe watching colegues showing the greatest amount of patience and care when dealing with completely convoluted input schemes for selecting/hiding/unhiding objects and layers. Personally ? I know how to do it just as well as they do, but it pisses me off every time, and it makes me dislike the program - regardless of how wonderfully powerful it is ... which is a bit of a shame really.

And then there is some production requirements that just cannot be ignored. If you work by yourself, doing only sculpts for illustrative purposes or for 3D prints, you might actually never run into these issues. But the lack of features like grids, units, grouping, snapping, or proper modeling and UV mapping tools will always require the game or VFX artist to couple Zbrush with another 3D app.

Anyways - with these few examples I just want to illustrate that at the end of the day, what only matters is that if you feel like you can use it for your needs, go ahead and use the tool the way you want it. *However* don't be reluctant to use a clearly faster or more efficient approach when instructed to do so by your boss/lead in a production environment.

Simple really !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that the example Kary posted is great actually. Check out this step :

final_retop.jpg

It's a clever technique, it sure works, and I actually used it a few times in production. *But* it is a nightmare to use and requires so much tweaking and fiddling that it makes it more of a chore than anything else. Some artists are okay with it ; some cannot stand it because they know that in any other program it could be done in a few clicks without any issues or unexpected results :)

Not to mention that the subtle yet noticeable pinching that can be seen in the final result might not bother some artists, while for some others it would be a total deal breaker. Again - it's a matter of level of tolerance.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there courses or something about Zbrush with tips/tricks?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. :) Seriously, the internet is drowning in ZBrush tutorials.

What specifically do you want to see?
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From start to finish how to make different things. Full character sculpt,from start to finish, with blocking, adding details. UV's texturing, baking and what not. Some tricks, new techniques etc. I am tired from 99999999999X speed videos and skipping parts between videos:)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try this:

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

Should get you going! No speed videos, all informative.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boban : now I think I understand your question a little better ! Since you mention UVs, texturing, and baking, I suppose you mean to ask if Zbrush can be used to do a full realtime game asset from start to finish - that is to say, from the full highpoly to the final low.

As far as I know I have only seen one video showing someone doing exactly this , and that is this one :

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?174353-NEW!-Character-Assets-Update-7-(12-12-12)-quot-Viper-quot-Ghillie-Suit-Creation-Videos

Near the end of the list there is a 3-part series called "Building Game Resolution Mesh" ; this is probably as close to what you ask as one can get.

Now I think this is worth taking with a grain of salt. In a way, the fact that this artist managed to do all that without leaving Zbrush is pretty impressive. But it comes with some big issues too : the automated UVs are extremely wasteful and would (probably) only work for a film project, but not for a game at all. And his retopology process, while producing a decent mesh, is very slow by industry standards. Last but not least, the normalmap being generated inside Zbrush in not synched to any engine out there, so that's not production-friendly either (I would have given it a pass had he generated an Object Space normalmap to be converted to TS later tho !)

So, while this video series claims to be covering ingame asset creation, I don't think that any studio anywhere would ever follow such a pipeline, as it is very, very slow and produces sub-standard results. While the retopo mesh is acceptable, everything after that would need to be re-done with a more proper, controlled approach.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to talk you out of trying to use a Zbrush-only workflow for game content creation ... you are more than welcome to try it ... I am just trying to save you from a lot of frustration :)

And I agree with you about the proliferation of very fast timelapse videos - I find them very annoying too :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Alternatively you could throw down a few dollars for an Eat3D tutorial or two.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Pior. I will say this in more easy way. I only want to use Zbrush for Modeling/Sculpting
    For example, if there is hard time for me to build something in applications like Maya or Max, i want to do in Zbrush, Might be easy or harder. I don't know.
    The rest of the pipeline. Like:Retopo, UV, baking,texturing. etc. i want to use proper programs for that.Like Topogun, Photoshop for paining, UVLayout.

I only want to use Zbrush for extreme details, shapes, complex mechanical shape and of course organic sculpting.

For example something like this: Viper Hood from http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?174353-NEW!-Character-Assets-Update-7-(12-12-12)-quot-Viper-quot-Ghillie-Suit-Creation-Videos

How can be done this in other way for game production
  • ArcanHell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArcanHell polycounter lvl 2
    Has the situation changed at this time?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Zmodeler was introduced to help with this, but it's still too slow relative to traditional tools I think, and gives almost universally blocky results. The areas in which you can actually make good use of it seem pretty limited.
    The retopology tools in other software have improved substantially though, which I think makes it a lot more reasonable to create a base in ZBrush, and GoZ into another software to lay on new, cleaner topology for hard surface, then back to ZBrush for detailing the highpoly.
    Unfortunately the retopology tools inside ZBrush itself have gone untouched for many years, and are pretty garbage at this point. Virtually the worst of any major software, along with the UV mapping and baking.

• weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    the main problem is retopo, zremesher is good until you get the spiral loop, there are many ways to get around but quite a chore, since retopo is critical to later animation, that's why to me you still need max or maya or whatever to kick in.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Boban said:
    Okey here is the deal. Can Zbrush totally replace maya with modeling? I have seen people do retarded stuff in Zbrush, that from their opinion, would pain in the ass to do it in Maya or Max.

What do you think
    At the moment for me a combination of ZBrush and a standard 3D application works the best. There are still parts of ZBrush that are only suited for it, like uvs and retopology. Plus animation seems very limited in ZBrush. Those areas are covered even by free to use software like Blender  3D so that it becomes a non issue.

With open source software in combination with ZBrush I cant really imagine the necessity of doing everything in one package.