Home Contests & Challenges Archives

GOLF - Floating Islands

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
After much thought, I've finally decided on doing a floating islands in the sky theme.

Here's my mood board. http://www.pinterest.com/tobbo/polycount-mini-golf/

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Awesome choice. Nice selection of reference images.

All the best!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks LANKUS MAXIMUS. I look forward to seeing your Zen Garden. That's a great idea too.

Hopefully later today I'll be able to sketch some thumbnail ideas for an even more concrete direction. :)
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Awesome, I look forward to seeing it dude!

Thanks for checking mine out. I'm working on my concept too :)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Time for an update!

Let me start by explaining a little bit more about the idea:

You start off by launching the ball off of a floating island on to another floating island below. You can overshoot or undershoot the island if you are not careful. I found this mechanic to be pretty fun, so I might alter the course to add another launch point.

The rocks can be used as obstacles (I'll probably add different collision on the rocks to avoid some weird bounces). The hole is located directly under the giant floating crystal. And I also decided to change the ball to a Greentooth ball! :D

More updates to come!

Here's the basic blockout in engine so far.

yc4VLO2.png
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    It's time for another update! I have finally found a layout that I believe works well and isn't too long or complex. The hole is a par 6, but I can make it in 4 without much trouble.

I am also very happy to say that I'm calling the block out phase finished. Tomorrow I'll start on the actual art and textures.

Here's the finished Blockout of Floating Islands in video form! Art updates to come!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBiP2Sj9o48[/ame]

And here's what happens if you overshoot the first island!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97K_1gxNccc"]Floating Islands (Alternative) - Polycount Mini Golf Contest - YouTube[/ame]
  • dustykhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dustykhan polycounter lvl 5
    Loving the not so secret area :P Im looking forward to seeing this textured!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    That is seriously cool, looking forward to the build :D
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Tobbo,
    Looks great also seems to play really well! Congrats on getting a solid, working blockout! its all art polish from here!
  • Nhoefer146
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really liking the idea, and even more, the process that you've chosen with the mood board. My question is, what methods did you use to locate all the images used in the board? It appears like you were able to find concepts for every aspect of your environment, and I would like to learn to do that myself.

Great work!
  • bcarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcarter polycounter lvl 5
    The play-through looks great, everything seems to line up nicely, especially having the different heights. Excited to see your textures!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Dustykhan Thank you! I was originally thinking I would be able to hide that "secret area" with a height fog. But it looks like it's only available via Deferred rendering :( Oh well.

Shiv Thank you! I'm loving the direction you are taking with yours. Way to think outside the box. :P

Mangled Poly Thank you! I'm really enjoying working with vForge. I especially like how it updates the assets without having to re-import them or manually refresh them.

Nhoefer146 Thank you! I started out with a very basic Google images search for 'Floating Islands'. As I was browsing the pictures from that search, I must have seen something or got an idea in my head about something more specific and I did another search for that. From there, I literally designed the map around the reference that I had gathered. So, instead of trying to come up with specific ideas and then find reference specifically for them, it was more like I was guided and inspired by the reference that I had gathered, and I really just designed the map around that. So instead of having reference for every aspect of my environment. My environment contains every aspect from my reference. (Well, just about) :)

bcarter Thank You!
  • Nhoefer146
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the time you took to answer my question Tobbo. On my next project, that method is what I'll do. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your course!
  • qtbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the concept, and they play through looks like it's coming together extremely well! Can't wait to see what it all look like in the final version, especially the teleport doors.
  • Amipor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome, you played it like a pro :) I cant wait to see some textures.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Beautyshot 1:

CB3p1ka.png

Beautyshot 2:

f8ci54U.png

Techshot:

uDTQUxV.png

Textureshot:

FDPaLhF.png

Video:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=whTnAagCuM4[/ame]

WiP Thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130357
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Talk about a close call... So glad I got finished! Thank you everyone for your support and kind words. I'm sorry that I have not updated this thread as often as I should have. I have learned so MUCH during this contest.