Home General Discussion

Work on bad game?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
A vehicle I built a year ago was used for an IOS title at a company I am no longer with. The environment and game play are terrible and not something I would showcase as I did not work on that. Would you put this on your resume as a game you worked on or do you leave it off?

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im kinda in the same spot honestly, the one studio i did my internship on turned out horrible. Havent even concidered having anything from there on my portfolio. However i have it listed in my resume.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Bad games can have good art, so if what you made looks nice and shows off your skills than put it in portfolio. Someone looking at your portfolio isn't going to be like that is some nice art for that game, but the metacritic score is a 30 so we are not going to hire him.

You should absolutely have it in your resume because studio experience of any kind no matter how bad of a game you made is worthwhile.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Everybody has worked on a not so stellar game in the past - it's a games industry rite of passage!

If the game is really that bad, instead of using screenshots from the game in your portfolio, make a really nice screengrab of it in Max/ Maya or Marmoset, with all the bells and whistles on. At least you get something great out of a not so great experience that way.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I've worked on good games, that have all been financial flops. Does that count? :p
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    If you're proud of the art you did, then I say yes.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the replies. I will add the title to my resume I just wont be showing in game screenshots. Its a little disapointing :(
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Popeye9 wrote: »
    A vehicle I built a year ago was used for an IOS title at a company I am no longer with. The environment and game play are terrible and not something I would showcase as I did not work on that. Would you put this on your resume as a game you worked on or do you leave it off?

The knowledge that you have worked on a game and work well with others in a pressured environment far outweighs the final product (a largely unpredictable multifaceted luck-based venture).

Infact hiding something is what would cause alarm. I can quickly assume the worst if you hide something you recently did... Honestly if it is years behind you and you have newer better stuff then by all means get rid of it. But if it seems like it should be there but I don't know the reason it is not it could cause alarm (I guess).
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I'd say that if your work is good, then show it, it's not your fault if the game sucks. Making a game is a team work.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I worked on NRA Gun Club. I've worked on lots of shitty things that I still claim. There's also "a lot" (like...12?) mobile projects that i just don't claim because my contributions were so small at the time.

Regardless of how good the game is, or how well it did, it's time and experience. You did the job, you did what you could, you contributed to a project that eventually got released and is floating out there in the world. whether you're proud of it or not, or if it conflicts with your artistic ego, you still were part of the project and it's experience that can lead to bigger things. If the art sucks, don't show it, but I would still claim it.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I worked on tons really terrible games, where I'm proud of the art.

Even when the art is terrible, I'm often proud of what I did with the time and resources given.

Showcasing titles show you've worked on, showcase your experience through pre-productions, crunches, E3-builds, and shipping. It shows that you've been a part of a very integral part of the production process, and can be depended upon in various situations.
  • cindylennor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have the option not to place it in your resume especially if you are not confident about that work. :)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    Everybody has worked on a not so stellar game in the past - it's a games industry rite of passage!

Fuck you. All my games are awesome.

;)
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    Fuck you. All my games are awesome.

;)

Haha - Don't make me stalk you on LinkedIn and post up your dirty little secrets ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you were the lead game designer and it sucked, probably no, don't put that on your resume. If you were the art director and it looked terrible, if you were the XX artist and the XX art sucked, etc, no.

If you're an artist who did some decent art for a game with bad gameplay, yes of course put that on your portfolio/resume etc. Professional work experience is a good thing and I'm not sure if you'll ever get into an interview where someone will say "Oh I see you worked on barbie yacht club 7, that game looks great but has a metacritic score of 37, I'm sorry we can't hire you.".
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Just popping in here to give an alternative. Which might be frowned upon, I don't know. And it's not very useful for starting artists.

But you could choose to only list the top 5 or so games you're most happy to have worked on. Additionally you could(should?) put your complete list of games and/or companies somewhere else but slightly less prominent. By listing a selection of games you can show a bit of yourself, give a bit more direction to your profile. Not all games/jobs are free choices, sometimes you just gotta earn some money. But you can say "this is what I'd like to do more of".
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I would think putting bad titles you worked on could actually benefit your resume as you can possibly show off how you went from working on titles that were put into the bargain bin on day 1 to much larger titles. I've seen this in some polycounters' portfolios before, they'll have worked on BS titles that give you a laugh when you see them, but then as you continue looking at their resumes, you'll see they eventually started working on some of the biggest AAA games out there like Crysis, CoD, etc.

Also, there's the whole experience thing. Regardless of if a game was received well or not, it is still work experience and that can always give you the edge over another person.