New job and old obligations?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
hmm_rock polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys I could really use some advice :)

I landed a new job, hooray! It's my entry-level dream job. It's an MMO studio that is on the larger side. They've been around the block a few times. (I mention this to give you a better understanding of the situation). I'll be coming on as a junior artist and they've let me know that for the first few weeks I'll just be doing minor things and helping out to get comfortable.

In the interview I was asked if I had any outstanding obligations or plans to attend conferences. Well, I do. GDC. It's really important to me to go, but I know (and I've made it clear to them) that the job would take priority. I have a couple of weeks before I can broach the situation, but I don't know what to do really.

Obviously, a new hire/junior artist at this size of company isn't going to be sorely missed for a week, but I don't want it to reflect poorly on me that after a month of working I'm taking off an entire week. However, they've *said* that they encourage employees to attend conferences.

It has little to do with money/conference ticket/plane fare/hotels and more to do with being professional and reliable. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Replies