Home General Discussion

Studio Interview Tomorrow...

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
I've accepted their counter offer.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone whoms helped me here; Its been extremely appreciated and I couldn't of asked for more advice; to the people that pmed me - Thank you; it meant alot!

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Might be something you already did... but do look up the studio you are interviewing... look at what is current there, what they are working on and what the studio goal and profile is. Nothing worse than interviewing people that are not familiar with a studio they are interviewing for.

Apart from that... take a look at peoples attitude and how it looks all over. Ask lots of questions and get a feel for what it would be to work there.

amm... be yourself, and think before you answer a question haha

Best of luck tho! and i hope everything goes well for ya.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Might be something you already did... but do look up the studio you are interviewing... look at what is current there, what they are working on and what the studio goal and profile is. Nothing worse than interviewing people that are not familiar with a studio they are interviewing for.

Apart from that... take a look at peoples attitude and how it looks all over. Ask lots of questions and get a feel for what it would be to work there.

amm... be yourself, and think before you answer a question haha

Best of luck tho! and i hope everything goes well for ya.

Cheers guys,

I've already had a phone interview from them; which I felt went extremely well; I'm super nervous!
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    One thing that people seem to forget (especially when nervous) is it's ok to pause for just a sec once you are asked a question and then answer, instead of just running with something with out a thought in your head.

Also, since you already had a good phone interview, it generally means that they've already been impressed with your work and what they know so far, and are now just looking to see what kind of person you are. So relax, be yourself, do your research if you haven't already, and you'll be fine.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Relax and be cool :) The main purpose of a studio interview is to see if you fit well in the company culture, so if you're a cool and likable person there isn't much to worry about. Good luck!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always be the person you are with family and friends, just yourself. Know you are there for a job, and not there to impress them, because they already are.

Though what ^glottis8 said above..
    Pay lots of attention to the studio's atmosphere and personalities and not your own. Because the last thing you will want to find yourself in, is a company that "needs" you, rather than "wants" you. While that may sound pessimistic, believe me. It can destroy your inner ambitions if you end up with a company that has poor moral, and vicious tendencies + mind games that employs the best of those and you want none of that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck!

Remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. The more questions you ask the less you have to answer and the less nervous you'll feel. So spend some time thinking up some questions to ask.

Don't forget to bring a brick. If things go really bad it could come in handy. WHAT!? it's a distraction not a weapon, you throw it at a window and run the other way if things aren't going well. Interviews rarely get bloody, but just in case you might want to team up with a wheelman or leave your car running in the parking lot for a quick get away.

You'll do fine, you already did the hard work of impressing them =)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    Cheers guys,

I've already had a phone interview from them; which I felt went extremely well; I'm super nervous!

Just imagine everyone in their underpants!

But honestly, you've already gotten through the portfolio review and then the phone interview. The in person interview is a personality check. Just keep swearing to a minimum, and don't bad mouth former co-workers / peers and you'll do great!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    monster wrote: »
    Just imagine everyone in their underpants!

But honestly, you've already gotten through the portfolio review and then the phone interview. The in person interview is a personality check. Just keep swearing to a minimum, and don't bad mouth former co-workers / peers and you'll do great!

every time i've conducted a phone interview i've been in my underpants lol :/
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Just go with the flow, at the end of the day you can only be yourself. If you don't get the job by simply being yourself then it probably wouldn't have been a good fit anyway. You have learned everything you can up to this point and the time leading up to your interview isn't going to change that. You are who you are and reminding yourself that might help you relax. Best of luck!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Dude good luck!
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the advice here; I felt the studio interview went really well and I got on with everyone; it seems such an awesome place to work!

Hopefully will hear something by the end of next week so ill keep this thread updated then!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Good luck hoe.<3
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recieved an email today; I will be expecting a phonecall this lunch time to discuss an offer :D:D:D:D:D any advice here would be amazing!
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    don't be the first one to suggest a number ;) semi example: if they ask how much you're looking to make, ask how much they typically give to this position? Then you can at least bargain upwards instead of offering too low by accident.

If there are parts of the contract you don't agree with (usually with regards to rights to your work outside of the office) make sure to request those be adjusted. There's no shame in it. The excuse that "oh everyone else signed this" is often used, and BS. Others may have signed it but you aren't comfortable with that.

And don't feel like you have to accept right away, you always have at least 24 hours at which point you could come back and ask for adjustments too if need be. Make sure to take some of that time anyways.

and CONGRATS!
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 million dollars. Cash.

;)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    wooots! happy to hear things are moving along.

No comments on this side. I guess you can do some research and go in knowing how much a salary employee shoudl expect to get paid around that area.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    I just had a telephone interview less than an hour ago after passing the art test. So nervous myself, still a few hurdles to go through, its the anxiety of waiting I find so hard :/
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once I had a phone interview where I got a seriously long and hard questions like. Damn, you need to be prepared for usual questions. It's hard to collect all the knowledge to show own ideas, questions needs a bit of time for thinking about the answer... I think so, don't you?

Here are some usual questions you need to be prepared:
    - What are your pluses and minuses?
    - Why our company?
    - Have you played our games? What would you change, what did you liked?
    - Are you a gamer? What games you've enjoyed lately?
    - Case questions based on position you're applying to
    - What are your career plans?
    - Tell me about yourself, your background
    - What you're most proud of in your career?
    - Why are you leaving your current job?
    - Pluses and minuses of your job

Good luck!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    The game question throws me off. "Have you played our games."

"I have not."

"What games do you play?"

I never know what to say. "Actually I don't really play games. I turn on some games, but lacking for origionality or story, I turn them off after about twenty minutes."

"What would you change about them?"

"Well, I would not hire a horny 12 year old to write the female characters. I wouldn't hire Michael bay's demolition team to script the action. I wouldn't go into the concept phase using "mix of these two games I love" to describe my vision for how it will look."

"Well how often do you play a game you enjoy?"

"Once every three years or so."

I've only done a handful of interviews, only one tried to go into the "must live games to want to do art for them" area. It was fine but not outstanding I just tried to say only positive things and ignore my brain. Beyond that one, nobody ever brought it up really.
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Ysalex, I just feel the exact same way and would answer the exact same things at those questions. I never had any interview but I would really hesitate between being honest or "say what I should say" (or maybe this means the same answers in the end ...)

What should I say when the only game I still enjoy is making them ? :\

Anyway Good Luck Dave :)
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe wrote: »
    Ysalex, I just feel the exact same way and would answer the exact same things at those questions. I never had any interview but I would really hesitate between being honest or "say what I should say" (or maybe this means the same answers in the end ...)

What should I say when the only game I still enjoy is making them ? :\

Anyway Good Luck Dave :)

I accepted their counter offer; I GOT DA JOB!!!!

I'm now gonna be in games industry w0000000t!!!!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Congrats dude!
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Congratulations !
  • Bruno Afonseca
    AAAAW YEAH! congrats!