Home General Discussion

An prompt for people who haven't backed up their files to do so... safely!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
So recently I was moving a lot of the models I created from the whole of last year and the year prior to a new drive. Mid-transfer, the drive disconnected and the bricked itself. Unfortunately (and stupidly), those files were the only ones I had available, aside from some character work I had begun on my Dropbox.

So a vast majority of work I created last year was gone. I think that if I didn't have dropbox or a google drive, this whole modeling thing would have stopped for a few years! Point being, while it's good to keep files in a more or less "physical" state, it's definitely a good idea to store your most important stuff online.

It's still demoralizing going through my blog, seeing a model that I made, thinking that I'd like to have a quick look at it in TB2 or something, only to find out that it no longer exists due to my own stupidity. Welp, at least I have some screenshots. So please don't succumb to the same pitfalls as I. Back up your stuff in multiple locations!

https://www.dropbox.com/home
https://drive.google.com

---
...a prompt*

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    always a handy tip, still gets me if I even crash after 5 minutes since my last save.

and while there is some of my work lost to time due to dead hard drives, there's is one thing you can always carry with you, what you have learned.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yup, it's always a good idea to have a extra copy on the cloud. After I finish a project or asset, I cleanup the files and folders, and copy it to a few places.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    A lot of the time when your drive 'bricks itself' what's happened is the controller chip on the drive has died. This is pretty easy to get recovered if you take it to a hard drive recovery place - as they can just install a new controller.

But backups are good. I have an external backup HD which I copy to.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also use a cloud storage service like Dropbox or Copy to automatically back local files and folders.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I've had bad experiences with Toshiba brand drives, whereas WD can take a beating and maintain its integrity. Love WD drives.

It didn't really brick, I dont think. The HDD malfunctioned, and all data on-board was lost, as well as becoming unusable. "Shit happens" as they say.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Google storage is cheap.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    sorry to hear dude, i had a HD failure many a year ago and lost literally everything. In hindsight, im glad since it made me start completely fresh and it actually did my art good.

also a small tip, dont move, but copy. once you have confirmed everything is safely copied over, then remove the source files manually. this way if there is a problem midway, you havent lost anything.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, lost all my work in 2012 in a harddrive crash.
    What I use now is crashplan it's cheap and works well, they can even send you a harddrive with you files on.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Good reminder... I have some old projects on a HDD at home that I dont think exist anywhere else. I need to move them!

Side note: I wouldn't trust a portable drive you regularly use to carry data around, between work and home, or school or whatever. The more you use a protable HDD, the more likely it is to get knocked or mess up or whatever!

Backups should be separate!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A simple solution is something like DropBox ... I do personal projects in that folder and it's automatically uploaded into the cloud and propagated to my other machines. It's NOT a backup solution, but it IS good for peace of mind. Files in DropBox aren't going anywhere. I can ALWAYS recover them if something crashes and burns.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    the cool thing with dropbox is that it has revisioning, so if you accidentally save over your file with a bad change or something similar, you can revert back to an older version p4 style! :)
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    All very good points. Most of my older works weren't the best anyway, so at least that's a plus!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I recently uploaded all of my precious, precious files onto Carbonite. It's honestly probably not the most cost effective option, but I was getting a bit worried about my old laptop surviving the Australian Summer.