Home General Discussion

Portfolio question. To put texture flats, or not to put texture flats.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
Just wondering how you guys feel about putting texture flats in your portfolio. It seems to be a mixed bag of artists that do, and artists that don't put them along with their work.

Also how do you feel about tileable textures? I am making a couple textures for my portfolio and was wondering if I should put the texture flats for those in my portfolio as well.

Thanks PC!

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I would say what you have in your folio now with the taxi looks great, texture flats on one side, wires of the model on the other. You probably don't have to do it with every model you have, but a few construction shots here and there will be fine :)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I agree with Torch; you don't have to do it for every model certainly.. but why not include technical details? I think including as much relevant technical detail (textures, tri/real vert counts, wireframes) can only help—provided your under the hood stuff is up to par of course. Consistent texturing and efficient UV usage are important aspects; might as well prove you're good at them. If you're worried they look distracting on your site you could always just have them linked at the bottom of the page or something. Just keep that sort of thing consistent between pages for easy navigation.

I like seeing tileable textures; but they might be something with a shorter portfolio lifespan than other pieces, meaning you might have to swap them out often. Which shouldn't be a problem if you're going to be updating your site regularly anyway. Just a thought; it's your website so you can do what you want really.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    no harm in doing it if you're confident in them