Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: tda

tda
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
tda polycounter lvl 16
So it's been ages since i've been an active poster on PC. Getting a job in industry (while awesome) has seriously destroyed my drive to do personal stuff in a big way.

It's been 3 years though and i'm tired of not doing things for myself. I want to get back into drawing so i'm actually trying to take it seriously for once. I left thread creation and general sharing of the crap i'm making until i had some wind in my sails from doing it for a while. I'm about a month in now and the urge is only getting stronger, so i think im in a good spot to start a sketchthread. So here we go, huge dump of all the shit i've been drawing since the start of Dec.

Crits are absolutely welcome, of course!

5sqx.jpg
1qul.jpg
tuq8.jpg
9ppz.jpg
0pqh.jpg
0i71.jpg
1c8b.jpg
9vpr.jpg
gcoj.jpg
hmyh.jpg
x5kl.jpg

fjt3.jpg
q4em.jpg
7vk1.jpg
7t0l.jpg

Replies

• tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    ...and the 2nd half

6f7y.jpg
    wadh.jpg
    0wek.jpg
    3fab.jpg
    vomf.jpg

This one is an idea i had for a 2d comicon entry but i dunno how evangelion fits into the challenge rules. It was an anime before it was a manga, so it might not be allowed. I'd need to ask but i can't really be bothered.
    r72b.jpg

...and finally, the last 2 days work. photo value studies
    q5x0.jpg
    edit : updated this guy, added his friend in back this afternoon.
    j4fo.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    the likeness is off in this but whatever, it was mainly trying to figure out a good method + value study
    xz38.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    today's daily. happy to call these lines done i think. i had fun on this, will likely colour her tomorrow night

s0ty.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    just scribbles today, but they were fun scribbles. i think i might change to a more bulk dump update pattern, every couple of days or a week or so. posting every day feels somewhat spammish, that and i kinda can't be bothered haha.

j3xo.jpg
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Good stuff man
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks a lot shotgun :)

So wednesday was a bust. Off work with a migraine, i tried to colour something but i failed miserably so it got binned. Thursday's is here, and today's i accidentally forgot to send to myself from work, yay. The weekend is clear though, and i've borrowed the cintiq from work. Time to art!

m6re.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Working on this which is evolving into something very different to how it started. It's giving me a really ghost in the shell vibe so i might have to make this into a fanart. It's funny, i haven't watched that movie or read the manga in 4-5 years but it obviously still influences my art a super huge amount.

xai8.jpg

I also did a few hours of value study but i'm not very happy with the end result.

4bz3.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    New dumpage. Small update, but i spent the entire weekend and tonight working on the robot chick. Probably the best picture i've ever pulled from my imagination.

67pz.jpg

And a quick 1hr study of this little dude i have at work. I painted him terribly, and it comes across in the study (lol). The perspective is knackered as well. Oh well.

tdpz.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    couple more pieces from the last few days -

86qy.jpg
    0kq8.jpg
    wyvu.jpg
    wp72.jpg
    study from ref: http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdby0nENyf1qlksl5o1_1280.jpg
    hqa7.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Just a couple of pieces this week, time has been severely lacking

warhammer times
    mqgv.jpg

one for sketchdailies on twitter
    pgai.jpg

And I've been working on a longer one but it's not done yet, here's a sneaky preview
    qbgo.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Finally, took about a week but i'm done with this one. Learned a bunch just from experimentation and highlighted a few areas to myself where i'd like to spend some time studying. Hopefully next time i do a full paint like this it'll be faster haha.

pe8c.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    That last one turned out pretty nice man. Were there any references or mood images used to refer to when painting it?

I wouldn't worry about spending a week on a painting like that. Especially while you're in the first while (potentially first few years) of learning. One of my favorite artists, ruanjia, I know has spent up to or longer than a month chipping away at a painting - there's a reason people see his stuff and shit bricks.

Getting faster and more efficient is a matter of taking what you know, and improving it. Taking something you've done, and optimizing the process. But if you've never pushed something to the point you're shooting for, then you haven't seen the entire process, and optimizing the workflow is only partially possible.

...fuck, if I could whip out a "finished" painting to my liking in a week, I'd be thrilled.
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    thanks for the reply twolisten

I didn't really use any ref or mood imagery, no. I probably should've but i knew kinda what i wanted it to turn out like, so i just kept hammering away at it till it looked right. I did look at the art of Castlevania SOTN for inspiration for the outfit but this kind of thing is totally my comfort zone anyway so i didn't take much from it.

You're right about the speed thing too. My problem is that i get really impatient super fast when a drawing isnt working out how i want, or progressing fast enough. I know i could've done so much more to that last one, maybe spent an entire week more on it and really pushed the entire thing all the way, but i just got sick of looking at it.

I need to cut that shit out because it invariably just leads me to mistakes... lots and lots of mistakes. These next 2, for example. Both rushed and both shite haha. Oh well.

ojik.jpg
    9cpx.jpg

I think i need to hop back into studies for a while. My imagination is running away with itself and away from the fundamentals.
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    jet study from ref. about 4 hours on this give or take

vm41.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    another photo study. this one took a few days, about 10 hours all together

ysd2.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I did a little experimenting with a heavily disney inspired style with these heads, just trying out different things.

e7zt.jpg
    nllq.jpg
  • Frawmus
    Really love your character work!
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Hey thanks man, i appreciate the kind words :)

It's been a while since my last update, been super busy at work lately. I don't really like posting WIP's but here's a couple of things i've been noodling on.

Only about an hour on this. Still lots of issues to iron out.
    hmin.jpg

and this one is a gift art for my lil cousin who rides horses.
    t4hm.jpg
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    ack i havent updated this thread in forever. here's a dump of the best stuff from lately

tumblr_n5l73fmIOu1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n5oh1lIfks1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n61w4v8b041qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n7uo6tGNFm1qlj2p6o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n7uo6tGNFm1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n8m6scwBg31qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n8vn49npMk1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n96v60yKzJ1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9e7mbF7FO1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9n5xsClxe1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na20ic3AKa1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na9k1hG1tT1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nakoh8pNKU1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_naqdf0hJpZ1qlj2p6o1_1280.jpg
  • War.ren
    Wow your work is amazing, such variety in your styles.