Home General Discussion

Anything new from Wacom on the horizon?

Boozebeard
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
I'm about to pull the trigger on a cintiq 22HD and wanted to make sure there wasn't some imminent release on the horizon that might be worth waiting for.

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    GDC is in a few months, maybe they'll show something there? TBH unless you're getting a Touch, i doubt there is much that'd be a must-have - except for a 1080 resolution. Increased pressure levels would not be noticeable, extra buttons on the side are useless, pens increase and decrease in width.

Not even sure they'd show anything at GDC. CES just happened, and nothing came out of that other than Companion stuff. Don't want to say you'd be safe to buy one, I havent had good luck in the past :) As a tool, they're not going to be omg-significantly-better than anything you can get right now i wouldn't think - plus anything they do release new would be 1-3000 more :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe, but I doubt it. Just based on the timeframe between the 21ux and 22hd...I would hope they don't make the 22hd redundant this soon. Plus, they just played their cards with the companion tablets.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Boozebeard wrote: »
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a cintiq 22HD and wanted to make sure there wasn't some imminent release on the horizon that might be worth waiting for.

Even if there is, the resale value is still pretty high so you could technically sell the 22hd for whatever new version and not face much in the way of losses.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Or way for GDC, they release a new one and the price of the tablet you want is cheaper?
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    unlikely wacom works on a scale of years not every 9 months like apple or some other tech giants. that said check out frenden's reviews on graphics tablets maybe you can find something similar for cheaper? nothing wrong with wacom but they are expensive
    http://frenden.com/tagged/review
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't Wacom been threatening to release a tablet PC for a while now?
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they did - http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/

I don't think there would be a major cintiq line update after this, they're pretty much settled down for now.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wacom is pretty slow to release product revisions. They just revamped the Cintiq line 2 years ago and have slowly refined since. They don't really conform to announcing at a certain time (CES, GDC, or something). They just seem to randomly announce and release.

I think it'd be safe enough to buy a 22HD. Those were announced about 1.5 years ago. Seems soon for a refresh. That said they are totally random so who knows? Maybe they'll announce the 23HDD 'for a double dose of painting' model in 2 days.