Home Technical Talk

Vertex paint issue in UDK

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys. So I am trying to set up vertex painting in UDK for my wall texture. I made a simple planar mesh in Maya and subdivided it few times but for some reason when I import it in UDK vertex paint doesnt work. I dont think there is a problem in material setup because when I apply the texture on the meshes that come along with UDK vertex painting works just fine. I exported my mesh as a standard FBX file and basically didnt change any export options. Here is also my material setup just in case:

7vhMUi2.png

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I haven't exported to UDK from Maya so I don't know how well it works but are you sure the vertex colors get imported with your model? If you haven't already you should try UDK vertex paint editor and see if it works with that instead.

The material looks like it should work fine. The blending could be made nicer with a blendmask and a powernode and such but it should work.
  • /anty/
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    In some cases you need to make new import and set - replace vertex colors, to replace vertex colors assigned in UDK on yours. Some data not transfered during regular reimporting. You might have similar problem with reimporting meshes with locked normals for instance.
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It somehow works now. I went outside and came back home, imported my mesh again into UDK and it worked. I really dont know what to say. Maybe the problem was in the UDK and when I launched it again it worked. Anyways thank you for help guys, much appreciated.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    glad you got it working, as you add to this shader, you might also want to mask the way vertex colour interpolates between materials so you dont get gradients between material transitions.

I could show you a sample of how later if wanted.
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello passerby. I am still new to UDK so I have no idea how to make that color interpolation. I followed a tutorial on Eat3D and finished my material setup. Here it is how it looks now:

6kmbMnF.png

I also added specular map and some glossines.

Here is a screenshot of material applied onto a mesh:
    mmbKWra.png

Basically I wanted to create some paint peeling near the ceiling.

And also you can show me an example of that when you get some time.

EDIT: I also increased sharpness a bit and it looks alot better now.