Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Katassassins Creed, animation demo thingy

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
G'day!

been working on a real time animation demo that I'd like to submit together with my reel (that still isn't finished, gonna ress that thread soon).

I started playing TERA maybe 2 months ago and loved the style of my characters run and land animations, so with that in mind I animated Katarina from League of Legends and did this navigation thingy with her.
I'm not a programmer or whatever it's called :poly136: so I've tried to keep the actual navigation simple and focus on animations. That's why you can only really run in 4 directions, like a mmo I guess..

http://thatanimator.com/dump/katassinsscreed/
^ unity web player, please you try who not! I lajk!

kata1.jpgkata2.jpgkata3.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_bq6yOPd3c"]katassassins creed wip..5? - YouTube[/ame]

I posted youtube links in the WAYWO thread a few times but didn't get any feedback so I've been going ahead hoping stuff doesn't look too shit..
been working on the attack combo for the last couple of days so that's what I decided to record here..

things to note: (I guess..dunno)

- you can double jump by pressing space again while in the middle of the jump
- different stop-run animations depending on how long you've been starting to run. so just tapping W/A/S/D will just step her around..until it bugs out because you tap too much! damn you!:poly127:
- boobie jiggle animations on stops...... :poly141:
- different land animations depending on if you continue to hold the direction you were holding when you started jumping or if you let go

thanks for listening! :poly136::thumbup:

Replies

• Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is freaking deep.

I'm loving the attention to detail and not only is she really animated but she feels it too locked solid and moves amazingly.

How long did she take to animate?

The attention to the details are great.

Deffo would love to see more plus a game or two maybe......okay go on why not a trilogy lol.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Ok, so I'm not an animator (I can just skin, rigg and then I stop there) but I think you did an incredibly good job! I can definitely see the TERA style in the animations.

The only thing that didn't convince me at 100% is the double jump.

I hope you'll keep posting more stuff on this thread =)
  • BubblegumTate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BubblegumTate polycounter lvl 5
    thatanimator, those animations are incredibly dynamic. I love them. There's a lot of fluidity and consistency, everything. It's really inspirational.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not an animator but, that looks really nice! Really great idea with the realtime demo thingie. Feels really great to walk around.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
  • Torch
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Fek me, amazing anims!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Awesome! The only thing that stands out is the blend from idle to running feels kinda weird. Other than that though this is really awesome!
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Really great work dude! As an animator myself, your interactive demo is great for showing off player character animations/blends/transitions, etc.

My only crit is that her run is perhaps a little TOO exaggerated, at least when viewed from such a low camera angle. I really love the double-jump landing though. Fantastic work!
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    sweet, I dig your choice of character :)
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VxGYNz5hf4"]polycount double jump, runs - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks a ton guys! your nice comments made my life! :poly102:
    glad to hear that I might be on to something here with this realtime reel crap :poly136:

Video above plays the animations at ½ the speed showing the doulbe jump, run start and run cycle.. aaaaand I'll use that to state my case against the feedback below! :poly142::poly122: hehe
    (I personally love how her lower half moves in the run cycle.. but that might just be me:poly136: )
    Popol wrote: »
    The only thing that didn't convince me at 100% is the double jump.
    How do you mean? :poly132:
    Do you not like the idea that she straightens out like that, would it make more sense if she rolled into a ball?
    I was thinking of doing a variation run-jump, where she rolls into a ball.. that triggers randomly, like the night elf's in WoW.. if you doulbe jump out of a roll maybe it'll feel better? :) it would be random but still..

stevston89 wrote: »
    The only thing that stands out is the blend from idle to running feels kinda weird.
    There are no blends anywhere, just transition animations all over the place. theres a 0.1 second blend when you tap W/A/S/D and let her go into the "short stop" animations..
    What don't you like about the start? how her feet move back maybe? like if it feels like she's about to tip over? :poly122:
    j4polaris wrote: »
    My only crit is that her run is perhaps a little TOO exaggerated, at least when viewed from such a low camera angle.
    What the hell is too exaggerated?! :poly142::poly124: hehe
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Ah I meant transition animation (not an animator sorry for the misused terminology). It is the feeling of her about to fall over that bugs me. Like she is recovering from a previous action, but it's starts from no action. It makes it feel like she isn't intending to start running.
    The fact that her feet slide past where she starts is a bit jarring as well.
    I do like the run animation though! Maybe just make the arms a bit more rigid and less wavy.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Looks nice except the unarmed running looks like 2 seconds later her hand become forelegs. The upper body bows to strong forwards i think.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    It's a very stylized animation and it fits the character that is this sleek almost ninja-like personality. I love the animation especially the side-ways spin, the way you land on one foot into a recovery is clean and crisp.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    It is the feeling of her about to fall over that bugs me.
    The fact that her feet slide past where she starts is a bit jarring as well.

Yeah I was worried somebody might react negativly to that... hmmmmm :poly134:
    Melonman wrote: »
    Deffo would love to see more plus a game or two maybe......okay go on why not a trilogy lol.

I know right! A Star Craft Ghost thing with Katarina <3
    wonder who would sue me first, Riot Games, Ubi Soft or Blizzard :poly142:

again thanks for all the feedback and kind words guys!!
    I'll take a look at the stuff that is bothering you guys, then I'll go back to fixing my reel and animating some CoD4 soldiers (sigh)
  • D63
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D63 polycounter lvl 18
    This stuff is fantastic mate, great animations and presenting it as an interactive demo is brilliant - exactly the kind of thing I would love to put together!

Tell me was it some kind of pre-made Unity level with controls set up already that you could plug your character and animations directly into or did you have learn to put the whole thing together from scratch?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Holy Smoke ! That looks pretty awesome right there.
    Would love to see 8 directions instead of just 4, with smooth blending/transition :)
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D63 wrote: »
    Tell me was it some kind of pre-made Unity level with controls set up already that you could plug your character and animations directly into or did you have learn to put the whole thing together from scratch?
    I scriptet everything myself. even the character movement, rather than using Unity's built in fps/tps-movers I just put a character controller on katarina and then scripted the movement myself. that's why it kinda sucks :D
    the level is mine as well, well, it's a plane :) that has triggers some meters to each side that moves the level in whatever direction ones you cross the trigger, to make the level loop infinitly.

unity has that mechanim thingy though..which I assume is just a plug and play kinda thing, should be easier to add anims that way I guess..

PyrZern wrote: »
    Would love to see 8 directions instead of just 4, with smooth blending/transition :)
    haha I know right!.. my scripting skillz are not up there though.. next time maybe! :D

while we're here again, here's the final presentation video I'll be submitting with my reel I think..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjVQ21_xfs&quot;]katassassinscreed animationDemo - YouTube[/ame]
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Great animations!

Beside I need to say, that the video itself is rather long, maybe you should shorten it a little.
    And I think it's rather disturbing that there are popping up more videos from time to time, since it's already hard to focus on both the videos running at the same time.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce wrote: »
    Great animations!

Beside I need to say, that the video itself is rather long, maybe you should shorten it a little.
    And I think it's rather disturbing that there are popping up more videos from time to time, since it's already hard to focus on both the videos running at the same time.

I made it for anim dirs who don't have time/care enough to play through the webplayer version. the anims at the bottom are not more anoying than any animation viewer I think hehe :)
    but yeah, I guess it's kinda ironic that it's kinda long, when it was made for people who might not have time to check out the proper app..... hmm
    thanks for the feedback!!

edit:
    I'm gonna supply it as a .mov so people can pause the video and frame step and whatever.. :)