Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

2013 resolution recap - 2D art Improvement

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
skylebones polycounter lvl 10
For 2013 I made a new years resolution to improve my 2D art. I've always felt like 2D art was a weakness and really worked hard to improve. Here is some of that progress. Keep in mind this is about 1/10th of the art I made, and some of it is really painful to post. But I'm happy with the improvement and feel more confident to keep on going.

Here are some pieces for 2012, to show where I started.

Painted as a concept piece in May of 2012 for a 3D character.

Pan_Concept_05_21_12.jpg

Painted in Nov of 2012 as a Birthday Card.
Baby_Monster_Card_11_29_12.jpg

And this was done just before Christmas of 2012.

Alien_Sketch_12_14_121.jpg

That's a good representation of where I was starting from. Super terrible looking back..... Ugh!!

The first thing I started working on was linework and drawing in general.

This was my first drawing of 2013. Not a whole lot better, maybe some slightly better lines.

Sketch_01_03_20131.jpg

I did dozens and dozens of these, here are a few more.

Sketch_01_07_20131.jpg

Sketch_01_25_20132.jpg

After many many many of these simple linework drawings I started working on my painting. These were very terrible (Bad enough I dare not post), but this is the first one where things felt like they started to click.

Rock_Creature_Sky.jpg

Here is one that I'm still working on, Based off the Fight King from adventure Time.

Fight_King_Sky.jpg

And the Final one of 2013. Uncle Grandpa.
UG_Sky.jpg

It was a super rough process, but I feel that I've improved quiet a bit over the year and will keep on practicing. And even though I've always been a 3D artist first and foremost, I already feel how improving my 2D skills has helped with my 3D art.

Replies

• thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty cool stuff, sky ^^ I can see how you've improved by looking at your works.

I was thinking to improve my 2D art too this year. Do you have any suggestions and/or tutorials to look at?

Keep up the good work !
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thread probably needs to be moved now that we have a 2d section.

Been working on mostly 3d stuff, but here something I worked on over the weekend so I don't forget what I've learned about 2d.

Gentleman_Owl.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple of new ones to add. I'm trying to get one done a week. I have a tendency to stop when things drag out too long, so I'm going to set deadlines.

Here is Dapper Frankenstein.

DapperStein_SkyFlygare.jpg

Gave an environment a try, felt good man! Though I feel that I should have added more color variation on the foreground vegetation, something to work on.

Forest_Path_SkyFlygare.jpg

And I want to mostly keep this thread finished paintings, but this is my first sketch with markers. I never took any art classes so my traditional art has been limited to pencils and crayons, haha. Always wanted to give these a try, and I love em! Done a sketch a night with these for the past week.

Dead_Head_SkyFlygare.jpg

I'd love to get some feedback on any common mistakes I'm making and areas where I can improve. Starting to feel like my progress is slowing a bit. Still working on one painting a week, so the next one is almost done.

Thanks all!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    skylebones wrote: »
    I'd love to get some feedback on any common mistakes I'm making and areas where I can improve. Starting to feel like my progress is slowing a bit. Still working on one painting a week, so the next one is almost done.

What exactly are you looking to achieve? At the moment your work is pretty consistent, though it all feels a bit flat and cartoony. I notice your profile says you work at Cartoon Network, so that may be what you're going for. The thing with that sort of work, for me, has always been that while it's entertaining as an idea ("Oh that's Uncle Grandpa!", "Cool, a dapper Frankenstein's monster!"), it's not usually very captivating on its own as an image and wouldn't hold my attention if not for the easily recognizable subject matter.

Are you looking to do more complex images? More realistic stuff? Render the crap out of things?

Without that knowledge, I think some extra work on light/shadow (and resulting volume) may be of some benefit. Color variation as you noted on at least one image may also help make things more appealing.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton for the feedback Two Listen! I completely agree that it is too flat. I struggle with perspective (Since I'm a 3d guy and that's taken care of) and so I have a tendency to draw things flat. I think for next weeks image I'll try and do something that has some more depth, or focus on perspective. For this weeks image (That I'm almost done with) I'm painting up the viking sketch above but really trying to focus on my lighting by doing something other than soft shadows. I should have that up soon.

I really enjoy doing cartoony work, but I know it can be better for sure. Thanks for the feedback! I think focusing on depth, lighting, and final rendering would be a good direction towards something to work on.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urglof_Viking_SkyFlygare.jpg

Painted up the viking sketch posted earlier.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had early Friday today and decided to paint up my dead head marker sketch up above.

Dead_Head_SkyFlygare1.jpg
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I like your line art and rendering, but can't help but notice every example is a right facing 3/4 portrait. Maybe try some pose variation?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap! Your absolutely right, even the tree! It's super obvious now that you've pointed it out. Thank you.
  • Priabudiman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Priabudiman polycounter lvl 8
    well executed rendering! love them!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Priabudiman!

Didn't have much time this week, I've been doing a lot more sketchbook drawing to get better at the fundamentals. But I still did a concept image for a 3d asset in a scene that I'm working on.

Hollow_Log_SkyFlygare.jpg
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Oh that is really pleasing for some reason. I can't wait to see it in 3D.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I was going to say try to work on the perspective,especially in the head areas... the face always seems to come at us at the same angle. try different poses.

that does not apply to that lastest piece tho, that is one badass tree trunk! everything super well done! keep going!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks! yeah, perspective is probably my #1 weakness right now. Been working on that, so I don't have a whole lot to post since I've been doing a ton of 'cube' sketches to figure out perspective.

I've also been working on a 3d scene I started last weekend.

tumblr_navqeuirqE1tirqzho1_1280.jpg