Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skull Man Grog (Hand Painted Environment)

Meloncov
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Meloncov greentooth
Some work I'm doing for the tech demo of the game Skull Man Grog. I've been modeling in Maya and ZBrush, then relying pretty heavily on dDO to get the textures done quickly.

Here's the first batch of assets:

comp1.jpg?w=490

Any feedback is very much appreciated, but since it's paid work, it's ultimately up to my boss whether I get the time to go implement any changes in the finished assets.

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    thats some sweet looking props you got there, how does Ddo work with such stylized textures?
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    lotet wrote: »
    thats some sweet looking props you got there, how does Ddo work with such stylized textures?

Thanks! I mostly use the heavy edges and simple edges details in dDo; generally, if I start with a good AO map, those two will get me well on the way to a texture I'm happy with. I'll also often use the detail presets meant for photo-real textures, but set their opacity very low; it makes it feel like someone made a stylized sculpture, then left it out in the weather for a while, which I think gives a kinda charming effect.
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Another asset dump:

uvrx6GH.jpg
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Your tunnel is weird. Looks like a model with a bend modifier. Dont make it to round it looks unnatural. :\
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Cibo wrote: »
    Your tunnel is weird. Looks like a model with a bend modifier. Dont make it to round it looks unnatural. :\

It is just that. I'm not sure how else to turn the square modular asset into a tunnel; if I have the sections meet at a ninety degree angle it creates a lot of interpenetration.
  • Yuke
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    Some cool integration with dDo on the assets to give that stylised look.

I think the shape of the cave would depend on whether it was 'man-made' or natural.. a naturally formed cave entrance would have some more with different sections jutting in/out randomly and probably would form less of a circle and more of a squashed shape.

Cave A
    Cave B
    Cave C

However a 'man-made' tunnel or cave is more likely to be of a similar-ish look to the one your asset gives off, although it would likely be smoother, so it depends what look you're aiming for.