Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent074 polycounter lvl 7
    the subtleties of the effects make it look quite good :)
  • Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey does anyone know if it's possible to have 2 outputs merge on export in substance designer?

I want the roughness automatically added to the alpha of the metallic so I don't have to come in and edit in photoshop :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    You can create a custom output node and use the "merge" node from the library to do that. :)
  • Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks that's exactly what I needed :)
  • Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey so I'm tying to use the
    'Visible If' condition to turn a input on and off depending of a switch is set to true or false

I was able to get it to work before when I was working with an integer instead of boolean with
    input["Layers"]>=1

now I exposed the switch and gave it the identifier name of  switch_paintmask

in the input visible if box I now put

input["switch_paintmask"]=True

but I get a exclamation mark next to it and it doesn't work, I'm  improvising because I don't know how to code ^^

can anyone help me? :)

edit:

oke I did it like this.. feels like a bit of a workaround, but it works 

• made an empty function out of the switch
    • created a separate integer drop-down list where the users can pick on or off.
    • the empty switch function now references that integer and switches the boolean on and off depending if it's 1 or 0

I wish I could properly code ^^

edit:

hmm.. I was to quick, doesn't look like that works -_-

last edit:

oke so adding an extra 'if else' with a 0 condition for the integer and setting it to false then seems to work

• bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d polycounter lvl 8
    I just finished up December's Substance of the Month: Normal Flakes. This generator can help with all your metallic flake, snow, sand, rock, and ornament needs! :smiley: 
    The showcase renders were done in Marmoset Toolbag 2. You can download the .SBSAR from the link below as well! 

http://goo.gl/Tmx4yI

• K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    That looks great Brad! Now I want to ride some bumpercars :D
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Woops, double reply.
  • bobmartien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11
    Cool stuff guys.
    Here is my first test in substance on a Metal shader. It's quite basic but I want to build a library with all "Basic materials".
    I still need to work the roughness, it's not super-customizable right now.
    (Render: Marmoset)

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Is there a way to change the position of the second point light? Cant remember if you ever could...
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Very cool @k ! I like the rebar showing through on the concrete :)
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Luthyn! It was alot of fun to make as well. And its very flexible too, you can adjust the slab number, shape, wear and tear, age, algae amount, colour etc.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I have some issue here, please help, Substance designer crash at startup

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There is an issue with the IRay license system: Renaming the .\bin64\iray folder will fix the crash.
    Another workaround: right-click-->use the "run compatibility test" and then "test program"
    We are working with NVidia to solve the issue asap!
  • tinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tinn polycounter lvl 8
    Here's a quick grab of my first substance. This is just the color so far, next I want to start adding some dirt and damage.

• cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    xvampire said:
    I have some issue here, please help, Substance designer crash at startup

Hey, this is fixed with version 5.3.4
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    tinn said:
    Here's a quick grab of my first substance. This is just the color so far, next I want to start adding some dirt and damage.

Hi Tinn,
    Nice first draft. You can adjust some little things though

-Your lines between your planks looks dark and a little bit too weavy.
    -Your wooden pattern cannot be continuous between two planks which are in contact, you need to offset it.
    -It's good to have luminosity variation but for an Albedo maybe your range of value is a little bit too big and from afar your gradient around every plank give the feeling of a rounded wooden trunk wall. 

Keep it up

• synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6

I notice this forum gets a lot of activity. I was wondering if I could get some feedback/critique on my substance texture?

It would be much appreciated.

http://polycount.com/discussion/163693/looking-for-critique-rock-texture-substance-designer#latest

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Hey all! I've just released a free 3D wood generator for Substance Designer in my thread.

It includes the corbel models, generator, and a sample wood grain. I'm currently finishing up a getting started/future plans video to accompany the release. Check it out below:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/151154/da-dawg-bowl-new-free-3d-wood-generator-substance/p1

Thank you for looking!

Edit:
    Video's up!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EMBrW-jQI
  • Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff :) good that you're sharing it
    ill check out the video later as well, always interested to see how other people 'solve their problems'  
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I need Designer to name all output maps and baked maps with _d instead of _diffuse (for example). Is there any way to do this?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Change the identifier to d for example. Only downside is you might have to link manually for viewport (not too sure). Unfortunately the user data isnt available. For baking you might have to create a custom macro in prefs - projects and edit the default resource name
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Textures are sampled in the viewport by the "Usage" settings.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Designer is so convenient  on so many levels for naming /saving/ tweaking  and so on and on  but at the same time so inconvenient for normal image editing /composing from  fragments rendered in Zbrush/3d max  or just photographs / photogrammetry outputs.     Lacks so many of pretty basic tools/options.

I personally find it insane  to spend hours for procedural materials  while they would never be a rival to  anything  a camera could catch.   Once  you see  it next to each other,  procedural stuff would never win  actually.     Quixel materials is a  good proof  for that.  

Would it be cool if Allegorithmic just do a kind of  "deep pixel" composer  for non-square images  with regular layers ,  Photoshop styled transform and adjusting tools  and a few node based procedural filters and  in-between layers links ?
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Like all software Designer have a side effect that make your stuff look procedural if you don't spend enough time tweaking you colors or breaking your noises. Even ZBrush stuff feel like a ZBrush stuff if you don't spend enough time breaking that muddy round shapes feeling. But the fact that no one is able to be as powerful as a camera for now doesn't mean that we need to give up and just use photogrametry and all that automatic stuff.

However I really prefer losing my time on Designer , ends up with something not that perfect but keep thinking "that's my work, I have learn a lot" instead of taking a photo and cleaning it with any software. I don't really see where is my contribution then.

However everyone is free to chose, here is my last procedural not possible to win against quixel kind of floor stuff : 

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    gnoop said:
    Designer is so convenient  on so many levels for naming /saving/ tweaking  and so on and on  but at the same time so inconvenient for normal image editing /composing from  fragments rendered in Zbrush/3d max  or just photographs / photogrammetry outputs.     Lacks so many of pretty basic tools/options.

I personally find it insane  to spend hours for procedural materials  while they would never be a rival to  anything  a camera could catch.   Once  you see  it next to each other,  procedural stuff would never win  actually.     Quixel materials is a  good proof  for that.  

Would it be cool if Allegorithmic just do a kind of  "deep pixel" composer  for non-square images  with regular layers ,  Photoshop styled transform and adjusting tools  and a few node based procedural filters and  in-between layers links ?
    You can use Painter in tandem with Designer to do pretty much everything you're bringing up. Textures should be powers of two and if you don't want that then just use a portion of that space and crop it in Photoshop. I can not understand how you're considering pow^2 textures a con in a texturing application. If you need Photoshop tools, use Photoshop. Nothing is stopping you from using more tools to get the job done. I haven't seen much of a need for it though when using a full Designer/Painter pipeline.

Also it's both kind of naive and arrogant to say that procedural design can't do a good job replicating reality. Reality IS procedural. It's up to a good artist to find out how to break that down into a process. Quixel is a tool like anything else, just because it offers a library of presets that approximately capture the original subject's material feel doesn't mean you're making better art. But what about non realistic art? Quixel's image based presets that you praise so much won't help you there.

Finally consider for a moment that Quixel or Substance, or any software for making cg art, can't match reality until volume rendering is a solved problem. For example even a simple material like plastic is currently not going to match reference 100% due to lacking more complex transmission and multiple scattering. Shading models aren't there, even for films. There is so much ad-hoc shading models out there and energy conservation is just barely beginning to come together in the research field. We are making approximations of reality no matter what. It's important to keep this context because your "proof" of superiority doesn't hold up when Quixel can't answer these complex, interrelated problems any better. Basically, a tool should not define your art. It's just a means to an end.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    In  my experience the procedural stuff looks  more or less ok  after tremendous amount of time spent on tweaking  and in fact it's not so easy to make new variations since they often  need  same amount of tweaking again  or you just get something  pretty same  .  It's not that you could  get an easy source of nice textures  popping out like a crazy .     More I work with Designer more I think I do a kind of freaky sport ,  burger eating competition  rather than  rational work .

I agree those kinds of  stone tiles is what it does pretty cool  and I  use it mostly for such subjects too.   Still ones you need to put some organic stuff over tiles;  moss,  grass, leaves , twigs,  roots, ivy coverage,  it would be looking  so much better rendered from  Zbrush or  just any 3d soft .       "Sampler" in Designer is so so to be honest .    New Filter forge "bomber"  is so much more convenient for  similar tasks.   And I need to see realistically looking cracks yet , not just cells variations.    

As of power of 2    I need it of course but working with 1x4 , even 1x2 , not pure square textures  is really a pain in Substance Designer. Last time I tried it in Painter  it didn't work with non-square at all .    So Painter is collecting dust on my side mostly  since we don't use square shaped textures at all  for environment subjects.    

I don't say procedural approach is bad in general.  I  would just prefer to  compose the textures from pre-rendered/ captured  stuff  mixed with procedural one    and Designer is so inconvenient for such workflow  because  " everything procedural" is a religion there.  

Photoshop really  is not an option too.   Before  PBR , when I  could spend just 5 sec to tweak material highlight intensity and size  by hand  and speclevel was just a simple cavity mask mostly  it was ok.     Now  with that damn PBR  I can't work without real time preview to tweak all those indistinguishable and interrelated  grayscale values .     

I Just want Allegorithmic   do one more Painter variant  for tileable textures , with  floating scalable smart objects  , "deep" pixel combining   ,instances , nozzles from Corel Painter,    etc.   

ps.  When I say procedurals look less realistic I don't mean  materials optical features .  I mean  rather  character of cracks for example ,  some specific structure of a surface ,  organic coverage and dirt distribution, even stones shape.   Something is always off .    
     Plastic  and scratched metal are  perfectly ok in substance designer,   any artificial material actually .

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Painter will keep evolving and most of what you are asking for (especially for tileable and non-square textures) is coming.
    In the meantime, Designer with a mix of sculpts and procedurals should take care of all your needs if used right.
    There will be some talks at GDC in March that should shed a light on that type of workflow with Substance, keep you eyes peeled! ;)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I am looking forward  for this .     

Still Designer  imo lacks some very basic , simple things that hampers  the workflow I described.     For example  scaling in Photoshop (or Fusion or   Photoline)    could be done very precisely from a center of transform / pivot  placed in specific position .     A mask blur works  within  set distance  defined in pixels and stays the same while you scale things.    

To be honest even layers / smart objects approach  has its own advantages.    I basically would like to have something in between Photoshop and Designer.

I spent a lot of time last year trying to recreate "layers" in Designer .   A kind of floating objects having all the channels and blending nodes incorporated + vector mask + edge feathering + "deep pixel" composing idea Fusion and Nuke have.     It never turned into something usable  on my end.  

• Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

Crossposting this. Testing tessellation on WIP rock wall.
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funkbro polycounter lvl 8
    Hey,
    I'm modelling a pennyboard and am having trouble with a small detail...
    I have a separate scene where I am generating diamond shapes on top of the board. I have this then being applied to a masked out area on the mesh texture.
    On the actual penny board this diamond texture Skews in size from end to end of the board.

I've tried using the Skew node but this can only be used in one direction and can't scale outward.
    To counter this I tried halving the board and using mirrored UV's with a slight skew, but the effect wasn't as desired.
    Ideally i'd like to use something akin to Skewing in Photoshop but it doesn't look possible :/

Any help would be cool, cheers.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Created a leaf generator today... This thing took me way more time than I'd have liked but it's fully adjustable. I started off following a tutorial to see how he got the basic shapes, and then branched off created different damage states and color options(with more color variations to come for dead leaf options)

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I've been tinkering with FX maps recently and I notice that each extra quadrant node you add to a chain dims the previous quadrant. I have messed around with the blending modes but that doesn't affect the gradual dimming effect. I can counteract this by defining a luminosity multiplier and using that in the further chains, but it seems like a ghetto way to alleviate this issue. I also see this same effect on youtube tutorials, so I can rule out some weird driver issue. Am I missing something?
  • nekema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nekema polycounter lvl 8
    Been learning Substance lately and wanted to put up what I've been working on, it's my first fully procedural texture! CC is very much appreciated.

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Has anybody made a curve node? Or anything on the road map for a curve adjustment node being added?

Thanks!
  • ProAssets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here's my input. I've recorded a tutorial on noise masking of UV seams. Hopefully you can find it useful. I've put link to the actual preset .sbs in the video's description.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEo510MOFEU
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9

Working on a rotten wood floor material for Substance Share.

Crosspost from here.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    First time using designer :)

• K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    First time using designer :)

That looks great! Is that entirely procedural? Or did you use zbrush bakes?

Cheers!
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    It's submitted to Substance Share, ill post a link once its approved. Cheers!

Crosspost from here.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Anyone know why my Curvature_Smooth node is giving me that really harsh gradient? The normal map doesn't contain any information like that. Everything is set to OpenGL, and it works the way it should on the regular Curvature node.
     Following a tutorial, I'm a noob :sweat:

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Solved, found the solution from a Twitter post of all things.
    Previous node to curvature smooth must be tiling, absolute. I don't understand why, but it does.

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for posting this here Ben, now that I know google will pick up twitter, I'll make sure to tweet fix too.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    No problem Nick :)

I have a general question regarding FX maps.
    I created my own brick layout with quadrants and I'm sampling 18 brick shapes for it and I get some repeated bricks a lot, sometimes right next to each other. How can I tell the FX map to randomly rotate in only 180 degree steps rather than a random float range? I've been scratching my head over this and I just can't figure out the math.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Makkon said:
    No problem Nick :)

I have a general question regarding FX maps.
    I created my own brick layout with quadrants and I'm sampling 18 brick shapes for it and I get some repeated bricks a lot, sometimes right next to each other. How can I tell the FX map to randomly rotate in only 180 degree steps rather than a random float range? I've been scratching my head over this and I just can't figure out the math.
    Try inside pattern rotation to do a random from 2, then floor, then multiply that by the angle? Don't have SD right now but should work?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I stole someone else's math, they just transformed it by -1 with some <> if else stuff, I don't freaking know. But it works perfectly.