Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior Pirate class

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys! sooo long since I've posted a final piece, but I had some free time over the holiday break and decided to come up with some presentation shots for my folio.
Shots were taken with Marmoset 2 and Brandon Phoenix aka. dim did the gun (thanks bud!)
http://www.brandonphoenixart.com/

Crits and thoughts appreciated!
665_max.jpg

108_max.jpg

559_max.jpg

845_max.jpg

864_max.jpg

914_max.jpg

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Hey Man, looks pretty cool. Is that from the game or fan-art? The one thing that immediately stands out to me is the sash under his belt with the gun very obviously just poking through it. Either the gun should be tucked into the belt and not the sash or the sash should at the very least have some kind of hole cut into it. The high-poly suggests completely different geometry than whats been baked into the low. It looks like there's something going on there with the normal map so maybe at least offset the texture pattern so that the stripes below the belt don't line up with the stripes above it. That way it won't look like one continuous piece.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Why are his eyes radioactive green?
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Scudz: Thanks mate, this was for the game. I definitely see what your saying about the sash. could probably make a better attempt to hide that its not actually hollow.

Snader: Because I was tweaking the spec on the eyes late last night and went overboard. Hehe thanks ill tone that down.
  • ShockInfinite
  • DWalker
    His grip on the pistol is very awkward, especially his trigger & pinky fingers. Also, since the gun has just been fired (or he's going off half-cocked...), I'd expect a much tighter grip and probably more than a little effect from the recoil (.75 cal pistols tended to have quite a kick).
    original.jpg
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice. The floral pattern being in the spec is a neat trick.
  • Pegbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice stuff. The coat and boots are catching my eye in particular and I like the way he he has been posed. I'm no character artist but here are some crits:

-The radioactive green eyes (as pointed out by Snader)

-There is a lot of grey/desaturated diffuse information on the model. Pretty much the entire model except the purple coat and his skin is some sort of grey/murky colour. For example the bandana is screaming out for some kind of design/colour to make it contribute to his personality in some way, at the moment it is just some grey cloth.

-The hair appears to have some kind of purple colour to it, possibly some sort of shader reflection of the coat?

-The facial hair reads like molten plastic rather than hair, particularly the way in which the goatee connects to the face.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    When you guys sculpt clothing that does have hanging out elements, is it a mesh with thickness or without?

And how to heck do your retopo it?
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    This was the character Johnny Depp was portraying...Keith Richards! Actually he has a little Barbosa (Geoffrey Rush) in him too.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Shockinfinite: thanks!
    DWalker: nice reff, yeah your spot on. I thought his character might hold his pistol with a bit of a flourish but that's not coming through ATM.
    LRoy: thanks homie!
    Pegbird: right on, not sure why the hair looks that way I'll check it out. Deffinately agree on your other points.
    Jade eye panda: from my experience animators prefer everything to be one hull. So usually I just model the front and shell the Poly's. Maybe tie them off with the main body.
    Dimfist: lol busted! Richards was an inspiration for sure