Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need advice : asset production

low_seb
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
low_seb polycounter lvl 12
hello polycounters

After the bankrupt of my company, I try to reconvert myself
I make some realtime job before but its wasnt the same constraint than in the video game industry ( quality demand , delay ..)

So , I start to make demo asset to improve my workflow

the first one , 3h20 ( 1h20 High poly and sculpt, 1h00 low poly ,1h00 texture)
it is reasonable (delay ,quality) ?

5bxg.jpg
sculpt
7kt1.png
and texture
4dqj.jpg

thanks for reading

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    You might be able to squeeze this model's UVs into a 2x1 map (1024x512).

Assuming the blade has been sharpened down to a bare metal, the spec map should be much brighter along that area.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The normal looks good, but your specular is just a slightly brighter version of your diffuse, and thats not the way to go, also your blade edge looks not correct
    Did you look at a reference for it ? Id be really surprised seeing a soft gradient for this. There are many ways making a blade edge into eye candy, look up some references, pick one that makes sense and stick to that, its the most important part of the asset.
    Also use a bit of color, its just black and white. Colors are apparent even if you do not notice them. Also break up the edge wear a bunch on your diffuse, so the difference pops depending on the angle, not to forget extra detail in the specular.
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback , I rework the specular ,added some detail
    its much better now
    lpy5.jpg
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    looks good, you could mirror blade and handle to get better optimisation, when it comes to texturing, I would advice to remove that X shapes scratches and would add something photosourced instead
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    knifeedges.jpg
    The more curvy and the larger a shape is, the more polies it needs.

Also, while I like that you're going for a wrought iron style, that curvy ridge separating the hilt and the actual cutting area is a shape that you can't get really get through hammering. The 80 degree angle at the start of the cutting edge would not likely be there either, though it could be done by hammering the blade down into a narrow triangle there wouldd not be the thick square shape you show. Wrought iron shapes tend to be simple and flowing, with not much width variance.

100_6424.jpg
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all nices advices

try to follow them with a new asset, stay in same way
    3gkt.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Oh, really good improvement , the metal definition is really nice, enjoying the shape of the hilt, nice and sharp

The blade edge looks a little bland on the first sight but medieval Europe style blades actually have such a look, they do not really look sharp.
    Well theres what our stereotypes are and then theres real life. A little exaggeration doesn't hurt however, "Larger than life" is the slogan of the CG industry (aka making it more obviously sharp / lighter edge) Atleast thats what I would prefer, maybe im biased there ; )

The pinch on the tip is really obvious however, and since you're so super low on polycount, use it to give that leather grip a proper relief that is based on geometry, its really obvious and definitely the weakest part.
    Maybe turn up the contrast of the spec of the leather part a bit so the detail comes out more and reads less as glossy and flat, also desaturated the orange just a bit, and itll be a top portfolio piece

Edit: About your font choice for your presentation, Id avoid fonts that are based on serifs or slabs , they have too much character and do not fit well with many different themes. Use a clean and nice sans serif, like you do on your email per example (thats a pretty futuristic one tho, but alright). Now your 2 assets are kinda fitting in the theme, but will all your future ones be ?
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really helpful feedback shrike, thanks

added some dirt in leather, and ligth more the blade
    not aggree with added some geometry in the handle, i try and its really waste of poly if I want a nice shape

I start this only for fun and for improve/test my workflow, now I plan seriously to make a asset pack for the unity asset store so yes the future ones will be in the same veins
    f0iu.jpg
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High poly base for the next one, based a lot on the dagger
    My question here is about none square uvw, I know its possible in max but its a problem in Unity for exemple, and wat's the technique?

9aax.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From the Unity docs (http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Textures.html),
    Texture Sizes Ideally texture sizes should be powers of two on the sides. These sizes are as follows: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc. pixels. The textures do not have to be square, i.e. width can be different from height. Note that each platform may impose maximum texture sizes.
    It is possible to use other (non power of two - "NPOT") texture sizes with Unity. Non power of two texture sizes generally take slightly more memory and might be slower to read by the GPU, so for performance it's best to use power of two sizes whenever you can. If the platform or GPU does not support NPOT texture sizes, then Unity will scale and pad the texture up to next power of two size, which will use even more memory and make loading slower (in practice, this always happens on Flash and some older Android devices). In general you'd want to use non power of two sizes only for GUI purposes.
    Non power of two texture assets can be scaled up at import time using the Non Power of 2 option in the advanced texture type in the import settings.
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the heads up

done with the low poly and texture, 850 try
    maybe a little too much, its the strape on the handle
    6qmo.jpg
    close up
    d4h7.jpg
  • low_seb
    Options