Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

fire hydrant 0.o

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
oxblood polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, I have been working on some portfolio pieces and I thought I should have at least one classic asset in there as the other ones are a bit different, but any feedback would be great.

kfpi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    Nice hydrant, nice modeling and good texture from what we can see. Maybe you could show your different texture sheets and the mesh topology.

I'm not a professional but I think it's probably a good thing to show one classic asset to easily position yourself among different artists that crafted the same asset. However, you should always ask yourself: "what's new with my asset? do I bring something more than what has been done previously?"

The problem I could see here is your hydrant type which is what you can see in most of the portfolio that present an hydrant. You could probably add some interesting features to your hydrant to make it more interesting.

Your shape and silhouette is pretty common okay, so add realistic snow on top of your common hydrant. Or maybe frost and stalactite? And try to work on your shader to make it look good. I don't think you should rework the mesh in itself as it seems pretty good. But just the texture to detach yourself from the crowd. :)

Other than that, remove your poly count and keep only the tris count which should be the smallest element treated by the graphic card that impact the performance (with the vertex count/texture size).

If you kept everything "quadded" you should have exactly two tris per quad so I suppose your polycount also includes some tris.

So to summarize my personal opinion, well realized but too common. :) Keep on refining that and you should have something really cool!
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    thaanks zarakun its much appreciated. Hers some changes
    pxwo.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us