Home General Discussion

Most hated hotkey

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DEElekgolo interpolator
You know the one, the key you accidentally hit in that software you use all the time that messes everything up.
The space bar in 3ds max or accidentally switching the top "top" viewport because you accidentally hit a key. Using E and R in max and having to remind yourself that softimage uses X and C. Pressing Q to switch to the selection tool in max only to realize that your selection tool switch to the lasso selection rather than the rectangle selection.
That first time you pressed ctrl+X in max and didn't know how to switch back.
That first time you pressed f in photoshop and didn't know how to switch back.
That first time you pressed q in photoshop and didn't know why everything you drew was red.

You know the one.

What are some of yours?

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    DISABLE VIEWPORT
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    < and > in Photoshop. They select the next/previous brush from the brush presets list, meaning that if you hit either one of them by accident (while trying to hit m for instance) you end up losing all the work done on a custom brush that is not saved yet.

I don't think they can be remapped, which leads me to remove the physical keys altogether...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    < and > in PS because they fuck shit up good when i hit it by accident tryign to get my selection tools.

and i really hate how UDK dosnt use Q W E and R for is transform tools, and often end up doing crap like turning mesh view off(W) or bsp(Q)

also i noticed some packages got E and R swapped, some got E scale R rotate, and some are swapped.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    That first time you pressed ctrl+X in max and didn't know how to switch back.

I love that - people learning the software for the first time and switching to Expert mode accidentally :D
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    windows key in anything.. (especially windows 8)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    ctrl shift
    alt shift
    keeps fucking up my keyboard settings
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13

I pried the left Windows key off my keyboard.

There is a dead, empty space there now. Like the dead, empty space created in my soul by bumping it all the time and screwing up Max.

I am healing... but it's slow.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the first time you press "x" in 3dsmax, and spend a week smashing your face against your keyboard.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever fucking key it is that pulls up the Metro tiles in Windows 8. Happens randomly when typing.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Pressing x in max was a long time ago noobie mistake, god i was flipping out over that and made a post waayyy back in the day for just that, silly shit..

In ZBrush when asked that this is not an undo-able operation and you accidentally delete a mesh/tool you didn't mean too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FFFFFFFFFF...

Hitting god damn bridge in photoshop when you wanted to open a document...!!!

That is all i have right now but there is a growing list :) nice post to let off some application steam. ;)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Ctrl+Y in Photoshop I think. Where it switches the colour mode when I wanted Ctrl+T to rotate the image >_>
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Whatever fucking key it is that pulls up the Metro tiles in Windows 8. Happens randomly when typing.
    Fuck that key with a metal baseball bat. I could be typing something then BAM windows finance app pops up.

Why is that even a thing?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    :P I use lock selection (spacebar) and turn off transform gizmo (x) hotkeys on a daily basis
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :P I use lock selection (spacebar) and turn off transform gizmo (x) hotkeys on a daily basis

3IcZfe2.gif
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I hate in max when you hit W for move more than once by accident and it changes the selection mode.
    Shits me to this day when all of a sudden BAM circular selection.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    pior wrote: »
    < and > in Photoshop. They select the next/previous brush from the brush presets list, meaning that if you hit either one of them by accident (while trying to hit m for instance) you end up losing all the work done on a custom brush that is not saved yet.

I don't think they can be remapped, which leads me to remove the physical keys altogether...

on the german layout these are , and . and can be remapped, in earlier versions they have been scale up and down brushsize and this is what i have them mapped on.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    ctrl+q in almost any program that also allows ctrl+a
    ( i use an azerty keyboard, so q is right below a )
  • EricHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    Hitting god damn bridge in photoshop when you wanted to open a document...!!!

omg, this. I fucking HATE bridge!! X and spacebar in max was always horrible too, but I think Bridge takes the cake for me.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3IcZfe2.gif
    Have to agree ... who the hell locks selections? Just save a set if it's so important to you. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Have to agree ... who the hell locks selections? Just save a set if it's so important to you. :)

I use it to manipulate a mesh based on a locked vert, edge, or face. I'll record a video when I'm back in Texas.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17

:) ha .. I work the same way
  • makinmagic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    I would probably say X and spacebar.

However I quickly use X (hide gizmo) if i'm quickly selecting verts or the gizmo is in the way. Another one is with X in Max 2014 where it shows the quick search list. Haven't checked the settings to disable it.

Also when pressing Q several times it changes the selection (box, spray can, circle...etc)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can fix Q for you at least .. bind it to "Select Object" instead of "Smart Select". Problem gone!
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember making tiling textures in Zbrush using the pan canvas thingy you americans have bound to §. Easy and close....well after that not working for like 3 hours i scouerd the internet and found out that my Zbrush is using German serrings...so i had to press Ö to make the same thing happen....Ö is located next to enter...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Habboi wrote: »
    Ctrl+Y in Photoshop I think. Where it switches the colour mode when I wanted Ctrl+T to rotate the image >_>

^^This, I delete this hotkey whenever I install a fresh PS. Took me ages to figure out what I needed to change though.

windows key, definitely

game related: pressing shift 5 times during an intense fire fight is always fun if you haven't disabled it.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Photoshop: Pressing p by accident when trying to hit { to decrease my brush size.
    Maya: Whatever the damn hotkey is that turns on snapping!
    Blender: Pressing Shift + Z instead of ctrl + shift + z
    Zbrush: Whatever that key is that pulls up the projection master...
    Games: Windows Key (Esp if in Windows 8)
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    caps lock

Changes all hotkeys in Maya, and hides my damn painter ring in ps

Since I've gone back to Logitech for my keyboard now I get a huge on screen notification I've just turned it on, and can avoid the headache most of the time.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    ctrl+s; nothing good ever comes of it. :poly124:
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    caps lock

Changes all hotkeys in Maya, and hides my damn painter ring in ps

Since I've gone back to Logitech for my keyboard now I get a huge on screen notification I've just turned it on, and can avoid the headache most of the time.

ya maya is weird like that instead of shift being a modifer, maya is just case senstitive for keys, so caps lock fucks it all up
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Forgetting to press edit (or T) in Zbrush after drawing a new tool.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    definitely alt+shift to change the damn language settings on my keyboard.

That, or shift... holding it too long, then you get that pop up about whatever it is. annoying
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, hello 8 key in Maya, you open up paint effects and can go die in a shit fire.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Fwap wrote: »
    I hate in max when you hit W for move more than once by accident and it changes the selection mode.
    Shits me to this day when all of a sudden BAM circular selection.

this
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely F1.
    I just hate how it slowly starts to open help browser, when I accidentally hit it instead of esc. Who the hell decided to have hotkey to open help? Does anybody really constantly use hotkey to open help while working on something?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Save for Web in Photoshop: CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + S leaves your left hand a disfigured claw.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    pior wrote: »

I only ran into this last week, not sure how I avoided it that long. I was trying to use the marquee tool to select something, then when I went to paint again all my shit was messed up. goddamit PS.

Also, F and Tab photoshop, if you had never used or experienced either before they can be very confusing.
    Higuy wrote: »
    Forgetting to press edit (or T) in Zbrush after drawing a new tool.

and oh god this, the bane of me learning ZB
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    Yes, hello 8 key in Maya, you open up paint effects and can go die in a shit fire.

8 key in Maya is the worst. I think my most hated hotkey is Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C in Blender to move the origin. I don't know whose idea it was to make that a shortcut, but they were wrong.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Alismuffin wrote: »
    Photoshop: Pressing p by accident when trying to hit { to decrease my brush size.

You can use ALT+RMB+Drag to change brush size, so that you don't have to constantly move your hand too much, you'll have all the basic shortcut here, Spacebar to move around, CTRL+Spacebar+Drag to zoom and the other to change brush size. you can also call the Colour Picker with ALT+SHIFT+RMB, then don't let RMB go to change colour, and hold Spacebar to lock the colour and move to the HUE bar and vice versa, this last is almost impossible to use :)

I don't like the R shortcut in XSI, which resets the camera view, and W, the Paint Tool, that pops and changes your viewport to Constant Shading, not that I use it too much, but it gets pretty annoying when you trigger them.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    The "F" key to freeze object in Cryengine. I hit this all the time on accident
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    ctrl + space

plays the animation in motion builder
    in maya, fucks your shit up
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    Cant remember what key it is, but whatever toggles edit off in zbrush, always screws me up.
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    Man, I hate that windows key. I always end up hitting it instead of alt or control :P
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Not sure if it is still default, but F12 in Photoshop used to be bound to Revert, which would revert your document back to the last save. this bit me more times than I could count for some reason... unbound that stupid hotkey.

ctrl-p would also make my photoshop crash w/o warning.

not a huge fan of the color HUD in photoshop either, but ended up binding those modifiers to a pen button and dont think about it anymore. shift space rclick?

K in photoshop selects the slice tool and will draw a large slice around your image by default. If you haven't turned slice #s off, you'll also have a # in the upper left corner of your image making you need to Ctrl-H to hide, because they never go away after you select the tool.

i hate T in zbrush. always accidentally hit it and have to reset doc.

lol, yes.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    You can use ALT+RMB+Drag to change brush size, so that you don't have to constantly move your hand too much, you'll have all the basic shortcut here, Spacebar to move around, CTRL+Spacebar+Drag to zoom and the other to change brush size. you can also call the Colour Picker with ALT+SHIFT+RMB, then don't let RMB go to change colour, and hold Spacebar to lock the colour and move to the HUE bar and vice versa, this last is almost impossible to use :)

Wow! Pro tips right there! Thanks man
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    should note alt+rmb+drag respects X and Y movement in CS5+. X = size, Y = hardness (while on round brush).

Didn't know about the hue locking with the color hud! wish that was configurable :(
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Autarkis wrote: »
    Man, I hate that windows key. I always end up hitting it instead of alt or control :P

I hated this key as well, enough to find out how to disable it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216893
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    I hated this key as well, enough to find out how to disable it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216893

You are the new love of my life!:poly136:
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Do you windows key haters not use these useful ones?

Win + D - show desktop
    Win + E - windows explorer
    Win + L - Lock (at work)

Most hated is H in 3dsmax which brings up that laggy garbage object selection thing.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    In UDK pressing CTRL + S to save work, only to discover/remember that hotkey doesn't save but create BSP blocks... Really shit when the program crashes and you think, "ah whatever, I saved just a moment before... MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRR!"

And yeah to the selection tool changing when pressing W more then once, damn that pisses me off everytime.
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    Ctrl+W in photoshop to exit instead of Ctrl+S to save
    it does ask me if im sure i want to exit : but i have this bad habbit sometimes when something pops up while im really focusing on the thing im painting i dont take the time to read it xD and just hit anything and BAM .... i closed instead of saving ... ffffffffffffff