Home Technical Talk

Zbrush : Local symmetry on subtools ?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Noors greentooth
Hey
So i've been doing this shoulder armor for a dota2 champ.
spirit_breaker_spring_02.jpg
and i didn't find a way to sculpt it in local symmetry, so i've sculpted both sides.
Is there a way to do it ? Does Zbrush even retain local pivot ? I tried the local sym but its still a world symmetry.
Thanks !

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Local Symmetry is located under the Tansform menu, third section down, a button on the left labelled "L. Sym". It's also conveniently located on the right tool bar about in the middle.

Additionally, you can use Mirror and Weld under Tool > Geometry > Modify Topology to symmetrize your mesh. This works both globally and locally, so be sure to have the appropriate symmetry setting (and axis) toggled.

Keep in mind that mirror and weld only mirrors from positive to negative axes, so from X to -X for example. If it prompts you that the resulting mesh does not contain polygons, then you are trying to mirror an object located in a negative axis. To resolve this, use the Mirror option under Tool > Deformation to position your mesh on the other side, then use Mirror and Weld again.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yes but apparently with L.Sym, the center of symmetry is the center of the subtool instead of world origin, but the axes are still world axis. My subtool has rotation in 3 axes but its original pivot is "well oriented".Or i'm doing something wrong ?

Ok well from fellow zbrush artists, it's not possible. ZB doesn't store any local orientation axis. So i should have sculpted the object aligned to world axis, then place it. Game over.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Export the sculpt into a 3D app like Maya/Max/Modo and center it.
    If its too large decimate, you should be able to retain a lot of the sculpt.

Bring it back into ZB, Zremesh and re-project.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yep that's what i planned to do. Thanks !
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    You can use the transpose tools to line it back up to the axes and mirror and weld to get rid of any minor inconsistencies. From there you can use Transform > S. Pivot to reset it back to origin, then reposition it.
  • mafida
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mafida polycounter lvl 10
    Actually it is possible. You have to use posable symmetry in transform menu.First store posable symmetry,and then rotate/move sub tool.