Home Technical Talk

Tips for retopology? Best tools?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
So I'm going to attempt to create a low-poly model of a high-poly work I created a while ago, but I don't know where to begin. I've created low-poly works from high-poly before, just not with actual characters.

To add on, what are your tools for retopo? I've used zBrush in the past for this.

Replies

• Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I personally think Topogun is the best retopology software. Just like with all low poly meshes you want to make sure it has enough tris to produce a good enough silhouette. If you youtube Topogun you'll get some good videos on how to use it. It's very much similar to zbrush so you'll feel at home.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    If you already know 3dsmax, than you can just stick with the graphite modeling tools (the old polyboost plugin) and its capabilities for retopo.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just use Max. The extend tool is really nice once you get the hang of it.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Topogun is fantastic but Zremesher with guides is fantastic too, theres so many good options right now.
  • betapilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    betapilot polycounter lvl 12
    I also recommend Topogun but have also started using Zremesher alot recently.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah max is nice, with the grpahite retopo tools.
    I am still not convinced by the new wave of auto retopo stuff.
  • [Deleted User]
    Only thing i dont like about topogun is the lack of orthographic... unless someone can shed some light on this :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    personally I also stick to the graphite tools retopo features... I like to keep my retopo as vanilla as possible cos you dont know what software extras you will end up with studio to studio.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    seth. wrote: »
    personally I also stick to the graphite tools retopo features... I like to keep my retopo as vanilla as possible cos you dont know what software extras you will end up with studio to studio.

I think thats a even better reason to get more versatile with software, if you are able to use maya, max, mudbox and zbrush being rather capable any company is going to know they can put a piece of even in house software infront of you, or new software comes out, and you should get to grips with it sooner or later, because your fundamentals will be good and you can adapt.

and id argue it just a bit more that you can understand things better when you're going across software boundaries, adaptation is the key to evolution my friend.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    froRetopo ? :>

Okay I'm out...
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    I enjoy using 3d-coat a lot for it. I do always take a decimation of the highres and the new low poly I made into maya to do the last few tweaks :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Froyok wrote: »
    froRetopo ? :>

Okay I'm out...

I like that its integrated in maya but i found the projection a little off, snapping to surface with an edge loop (like you can in most others) can't be done... but i wish it could be! froretpo could easily be the most convenient one, but it's too much manual work..

Also the high poly mesh doesnt work on reference, so it slows down maya :(
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like 3D Coat retopo but don't really like their scene management or having to import and export more than I have to.

So I use 3Dsmax graphite tools but WITH the Wrapit Plugin. Without this plugin I would be using 3D coat.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I like using max a lot. The topo tools work well and if they don't work quite the way I want I can fix things on the fly with standard modeling tools. I find that versatility very useful compared to other programs.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    As mentioned above, zRemesher looks pretty fast and accurate compared to previous auto-retoping solutions.

Here's a quick tutorial you might be interested in:

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/topology/#zremesher
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Been getting big into zRemesher as of late! Good stuff. I strayed from 3Ds Max after a few peers pushed me into using Maya. I'll have to crack it back open to look at the graphite tools in greater depth.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I think that you misunderstand me, I can retopo in pretty much anything but I stick to the tools inside my primary software package (I'm fluent with maya and XSI also) as I know that whichever company I work for I can use the basic tools provided rather than need anything specific...ie topogun, 3dcoat etc...

does anyone here actually use zremesher in their professional work character wise?

I think thats a even better reason to get more versatile with software, if you are able to use maya, max, mudbox and zbrush being rather capable any company is going to know they can put a piece of even in house software infront of you, or new software comes out, and you should get to grips with it sooner or later, because your fundamentals will be good and you can adapt.

and id argue it just a bit more that you can understand things better when you're going across software boundaries, adaptation is the key to evolution my friend.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with Seth, which is one reason I like the Max tools ... the more I can do in the same application, the more efficient I am. Having to export/import into multiple apps just eats up time, generally speaking.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yuze wrote: »
    I like that its integrated in maya but i found the projection a little off, snapping to surface with an edge loop (like you can in most others) can't be done... but i wish it could be! froretpo could easily be the most convenient one, but it's too much manual work..

Also the high poly mesh doesnt work on reference, so it slows down maya :(

Thanks for the feedback ! Note that you can project the edge loop after creating it by using the "project geometry" button. I know, it's not automatic, but I didn't found a way yet to make it that way (properly I mean).

Anyway, I will see what I can do.
  • riowahab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riowahab polycounter lvl 11
    Hi, I use Zbrush most of the time.
    But I always find that after finishing the new retop model in Zbrush, the model become very small in Max. Because I want to baked it in Max, so I need to resize it all the time. Any ideas why this is happened?
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I use 3dcoat and think it is awesome, but it does seem very slow.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Using blender and 3d-coat, blender's retopo tools are surprisingly solid.
    Using 3d-coat when retoping over diffrent object so I don't need to combine the highpoly pieces in blender first.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I've been using Topogun for many years now. I just like how easily it handles highpoly meshes and the tools. As a side note, I think it has the best AO/directional bake results on the market. So SMOOTH :)

At the end of the day, the software doesn't really matter, what really does is making sure you build a mesh that retains all the details you want but is also as animation/rigging friendly as possible.
  • Norstu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norstu polycounter lvl 8
    My new favorite = RappaTools' (QuickTopo) + Graphite Modeling Tools in Max 2014.

I have done a lot of retopo work in 3D Coat & really enjoyed using it. Found it to be a very stable & reliable option.

Topogun is awesome but I found it to be unstable. It also doesn't have Applink which makes 3D Coat that much more attractive.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    ZBrush + ZRemesher + Correct in any app = profit
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I like 3dCoat a lot, pretty efficient and also intuitive to figure out (never went online for a tut or anything), but you can't go wrong just sticking to 3ds max, which is what I do at work because we don't have 3dcoat.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    graphite tools, wrap-it is pretty handy but less essential post 'conform' brush.

I've used zremesher for quick results, usually there a load of spirals to sort out though, but it's great for workflow if not final topology.

Never got on with 3dcoat, topogun or zbrush retopo tools.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Hi all,

I was wondering if the consensus has changed since 2013?

I'm currently using the retop tools in max and I was wondering how 3D Coat and topogun compare now? 
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    ModelingToolkit(aka Nex) in maya , along with Frotools for those hard to reach areas when i need precision.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    What's up with all of my dead threads being revived? Lovin' it.

Topogun is my go-to.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    does anyone know where i can get a crack version of topogun 2? 

http://topogun.com/store/buy-topogun.htm
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    The best tool is your brain...I just wanted to say something pretentious.
    My vote goes to 3dcoat, huzzah.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone know where i can get a crack version of topogun 2? 
    This is your 2nd warning for breaking our rule about pirated software. You are now banned permanently. We have zero tolerance for those who use or advocate cracked software.

Besides the immorality and illegality of piracy, as game developers we are software makers and thus we rely on purchasers for our salaries.
  • elpistolero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elpistolero polycounter lvl 6
    3D Coat hands down, use it with custom hotkeys and it's unbeatable. Topogun is too buggy for me.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    Using blender and 3d-coat, blender's retopo tools are surprisingly solid.
    Using 3d-coat when retoping over diffrent object so I don't need to combine the highpoly pieces in blender first.

no need to join meshes to retopo in blender.