Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Simple low poly forest.

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pixelpatron polycounter
Just something I'm working on atm. Anyone care to confirm this link works? If you have any feedback I'd be very grateful.

Simple low poly forest.

11432522645_3dd2551ee3_c.jpg

Thanks gang.

Replies

• SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    The link works for me. But if it is not working for someone, you should remove the "s" from https. Unity's webplayer link doesn't need to be secure, and works best without it I think.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Thanks Sander. :-)
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    The grass looks cool. But it looks weird in when its placed above the gravel ground texture.

The tree shaders require some kind of translucency. currently they are pitch black in shadowed areas. And some wind movement like on the grass would be also nice on the trees :).

Your stones pop out a bit too much at the moment, their shaders are looking a bit like plastic :(
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Gave it a once over, any better?

Simple low poly forest.

Not sure how to make the trees move, Unity still pretty new for me.....anyone got any ideas? I hate how some stuff isn't offered unless you upgrade to Pro. :(
  • Xazas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    On the other hand, a lot of stuff is for free ;-). But on your scene, what is limiting you with Unity free?

What immediately pops into my eye is that the texture resolution on your rocks are a lot lower then on the ground. That way the rocks looks like they are upscaled. Give them a higher resolution.

Also at some point I noticed grass placed inside the rocks.
  • matsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in unity foliage is handled inside the terrain shader... grass and trees and other foliage are both added to the terrain shader and can be moved by the terrain shader.

The way you control this is by modifying the alpha channel of your vertex colors. More white is more influenced by wind... quite a bit fiddly to get right... because you can't really see the effect in your 3d program.

If you use Unity trees... I have no idea if this works... also trees in the background don't sway because of the imposter system.

I actually quite like what you have there... not really a forest more a few trees along a path... but eh!
    And try tiling textures for the big rocks... that'll make it easier to keep the correct texture resolution for the different models.

I'll give you some advice I really need to follow myself as soon as I have the time.. which is to look closely to one small bit of a photo of the type of landscape you want to make. Then try to dissect it and make as much variation of the things as you see on that photo... that'll give you a nice library of stuff to make a forest out of.