Home Technical Talk

Using Reference Planes to Sculpt Likeness. Is it cheating?

Kyle_butler
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Kyle_butler polycounter lvl 11
Hi. I've recently was having a conversation with a friend who is a professional in the area and he hinted that reference planes are somehow a crutch when it comes to sculpting likeness. What do you think? Should we use reference planes until we get confortable enough to try to likeness just by looking at the model?

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    its fine. keep doing it. its not cheating.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    that reference planes are somehow a crutch
    IMO, use them if you have them but don't treat them like a requirement.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    No matter what it is, it's only cheating if you're stealing something and passing it off as your own.

In a production environment, you're going to use the tools you need to so you can get the job done. If you have to sculpt a likeness and you have good ortho views of a subject, you should use them to the fullest extent you feel you need to.

If you're more comfortable just looking at the reference and sculpting, that's just as valid a method.
  • MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    "Good artists borrow, great artists steal."

Use the reference images!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheating? No, that is ridiculous.

However, sticking to a reference photo for likeness may not be the best idea. Here is the thing: Reference photos of people always have some sort of perspective distortion in them, you can't model over them as if its an orthographic illustration. So you're going to have to look at perspective angles, and compare your work in perspective to nail a reference. It helps if you know how to spot how much perspective distortion is in a given photo.

493.jpg

This is the classic example, if you can get a reference photo taken with a 350mm lens, great, use that as a strict reference, its about as close to orthographic as you can get, if its shot with a more normal lens though (many photos will be) you're going to have to wing it.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    do it, but study facial anatomy as well.

Use every tool and technique that gets you the BEST result you can because ultimately that is what matters, I used to be heavily involved in martial arts when I was younger, everyone will teach you how to throw a punch differently, its down to you to adapt and apply your best technique to get the best result, exact same thing here.
  • Kyle_butler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the answers, guys. After that conversation, I was feeling really bad about using these reference planes to scuplt. I wasn't feeling like sculpting at all.
    It is a relief to know that it is okay to use them.

Oniram, MethodJ thanks for the honest, direct responses.

cryrid, I think the same way. For now I'll stick to it, but as I get more experienced, Ill try to move away from it.

Swizzle, reading your comment remind me of an article by Gary Marshall, talking about the impostor syndrome (a belief that everyone else is brilliant and that you're an arse, that any success you've had is entirely due to luck, not talent or hard work, and that it's just a matter of time before you're unmasked as the hopeless fraud you truly are.)
    Which in this particular case, suited me perfectly XD

EarthQuake, I am aware of the lenses/angle of view distortion, that is why, besides the reference planes, I use several reference images of different angles in my second monitor. But that example you posted is extraordinary. Thanks!

ExcessiveZero, That is an excelent analogy. Thank you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't read the other replies so its possible someone already covered this, but just in case they didn't...

It's not cheating but they can be a bit of a crutch that you learn to do without after a while, for most things anyway. There are still somethings you will probably want to use a reference plane for but their use will start to drop the more confident you get.

You will still use referance images to compare what you've made but it probably won't be in the same viewport as your model where you're snapping points to a plane praying that it looks right. You'll look, you'll learn and you'll compare and you'll get better at all three of those and the dependence on direct external precision forcefully guiding you will start to diminish.

Use it while you can, it can be great tool in helping you figure out what is off about your model. After a while you'll find its more of a safety blanket that doesn't get used and sometime in the future it will be more of a pain to set up and you'll just skip it. But don't be an idiot and abandon it without learning all that it has to teach you, there are some really valuable lessons and its a great tool, it just isn't great for everything and you'll learn when to use it the more you do this stuff.

Good luck! Have fun, find joy in learning new things, don't be scared of not knowing.

Try to ignore the purest who use "always statements". Try to learn the reason why those "rules" are written instead of just memorizing the rules and following them blindly. Do what works best for you and don't be afraid of learning a few different ways of doing something, it might not work out for that one project but you might use it on another.
  • Kyle_butler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark Dyger,

thank you very much for your words.
    The learning curve of this area is fun, but some challanges are difficult to overcome, and criticism and comparisons are very harsh, so you never really know if you are doing ok. Thanks everyone for helping me with this issue.