Home Technical Talk

UV map boarder spacing?

bpears
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
bpears polycounter lvl 4
I was under the impression that when UV mapping things, we're supposed to have spacing between pieces and around the border, but looking at some textures by others, seems you can go all the way to the edge? Or could this cause issues in some way?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will still cause bleeding issues, although at texture border edges you can set the texture wrap to clamp rather than repeat, which will stop left-right and/or top-bottom bleeding happening. It's not often practical though (you can't have tiling textures or offset UVs and you'd have to set the wrap mode flag for each texture).

You can get away with it, though - especially if the colours that'd bleed in with mipping are similar to the colours there already.

But in general, yes, you want to have padding between the 0-1 UV bounds and the UV islands, in the same way you want padding between the UV islands themselves (although it only needs to be half the UV island distance, because you've got that same distance at each border of the texture).
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    I only place coordinates directly on the bounds if I'm making a repeating texture, otherwise I use half the distance I use between shells.
  • bpears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    Ok, thanks guys! I was about to be so irritated if having to scale up all my UVs. Man there are a lot a bad textures floating around. :)