Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Davis Ohm Meter - Marm2

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
fnul.jpg

I developed this primarily after looking at an old fashioned Ohm meter that had all this wear and tear on it, I gave myself the challenge of finishing the model and texture within one day and surprisingly did it.

Here’s a video turn table of the Ohm meter, just to show it’s all real time.

http://youtu.be/tWNHz9H0o10

Replies

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't know it was that bad, page 5 and no reply's for 2 days...
    I would of thought at least one comment about how bad the normals were would be sufficient lol.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Seems pretty common in this forum to get buried quickly. I'm not so sure people venture past the first few pages :/

As for your Ohm meter, it looks pretty good. Did you model it from a reference?

As with any piece of artwork, there is always room for improvement! The dingy paint job and chips indicate it has seen quite a bit of use, however your placard and gauge cover are immaculate. I feel like there should be some sort of dirt buildup around these areas to match the apparent age of the rest of the unit.

The dent in the front where the screw appears to be too tight is a nice touch. Aside from the scrapes on the leather handle at the rivet, it too is immaculate. There should be more scrapes and wear where it is held most often, and the weight of the unit may actually cause the leather to stretch slightly around the rivet if picked up by the strap excessively.

Watching your turntable, your textures seem to generally lack any sort of fine surface detail such as flaws in the paint, scratches exposing bare metal, or dust buildup. That top metallic placard shows some sort of issue with your normal map as well.

I assume the back panels would be removable for performing maintenance on the unit itself. If that's the case, there are no pieces which suggest the panel is removable, such as screws or a latch or something. You could also fill some of the empty space on the back with a sticker of some sort.

I know I mentioned a lot but it definitely seems to have a solid foundation so any changes you decide to implement should be relatively easy.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    If you don't get any reply it doesn't mean that your work is bad, don't worry. It means that it's average, not awesome enough for people to comment. There is not much to say on a single, already finished object.

And I agree with Bartalon said ^^.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd expect a bit of verdigris on the brass bits.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon wrote: »
    Seems pretty common in this forum to get buried quickly. I'm not so sure people venture past the first few pages :/

As for your Ohm meter, it looks pretty good. Did you model it from a reference?

As with any piece of artwork, there is always room for improvement! The dingy paint job and chips indicate it has seen quite a bit of use, however your placard and gauge cover are immaculate. I feel like there should be some sort of dirt buildup around these areas to match the apparent age of the rest of the unit.

The dent in the front where the screw appears to be too tight is a nice touch. Aside from the scrapes on the leather handle at the rivet, it too is immaculate. There should be more scrapes and wear where it is held most often, and the weight of the unit may actually cause the leather to stretch slightly around the rivet if picked up by the strap excessively.

Watching your turntable, your textures seem to generally lack any sort of fine surface detail such as flaws in the paint, scratches exposing bare metal, or dust buildup. That top metallic placard shows some sort of issue with your normal map as well.

I assume the back panels would be removable for performing maintenance on the unit itself. If that's the case, there are no pieces which suggest the panel is removable, such as screws or a latch or something. You could also fill some of the empty space on the back with a sticker of some sort.

I know I mentioned a lot but it definitely seems to have a solid foundation so any changes you decide to implement should be relatively easy.

Thanks for the feedback, Yea I worked from reference but unfortunately there really aren't very many pictures of the Davis OHM meter as it's quite a rarity.

The top placard produced that normal error, but I have no idea where it stemmed from. Probably a cage problem as I was baking curved detail onto a flat plane.

All the wear feedback is more than true, I really forgot about profiling the item while I was making it and ended up falling short and just accepting how personalized it was (which is a bad trait lol)

The back section really does need something, I will be sure to add something to break up the blankness of it and also adding paint detail like flakes and such would be more than a good idea.

Thanks for all the feedback, also I always go through at least the past 8 pages and bump up everyone's posts that have 0 replies, It really bugs me that people take the time and effort to show their stuff but it gets buried.