Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Character Challenge Discussion

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
So, let's give it a try guys. As it was suggested by almighty_gir 3 different subjects will be submitted and the community will choose their favorite.

As soon as there's is enough votes to decide which subject is the most popular the WIP thread will be created and the art dump will start!

For the fist time, I will pick the themes but later on, if you have an idea or a specific concept that you would like to to see next month in the challenge, submit it here!

Also, for simplicity, I think that it would be easier for everyone if the challenge started at the beginning of the month. So for the first one we have the choice; we either wait until January the first and start with the new year's good resolutions, or we can start it right now as soon as there is enough votes and end it at the end of December.

What do you think: simple characters for the end of December or a full month of awesomeness starting in January?
Personally I think that we already can run a mini noob challenge until the end of the year and then start the real thing. It would be a sort of beta test challenge in order to check if things work in the way we are doing it.

Replies

• stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I would totally be down for this, but it should start in January. The month is already half over it would be pretty difficult to pull out a full character in that time. Unless you were planning on some simple characters.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Super stoked for this. My vote has been cast.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    I agree it should end in January, but we could also start now and just let it run to the end of Jan (bonus time!). Then just have it a solid month for each month following the Dec/Jan challenge.

Also, are we going to be working off of the same concept picture like the environment noob challenges or are we going to just have the subject to base our concept and model on? My apologies if I just missed something
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    I would totally be down for this, but it should start in January. The month is already half over it would be pretty difficult to pull out a full character in that time. Unless you were planning on some simple characters.
    Yeah you are right about that, that's why I was wondering if it is worth it to start now. But on the other hand it could be a good test run to ensure that everything is working just fine. That way the people that can/want to already start something now have the opportunity to do so and everybody else is welcome to join the ride later on.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mini challenge would be cool and I think it will be good to help test out the process, but the holiday season might exclude a lot of people. I won't be at a computer for the last 10 days of December haha. But like you were saying, it will give those who are able the chance to get started!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, are we going to be working off of the same concept picture like the environment noob challenges or are we going to just have the subject to base our concept and model on? My apologies if I just missed something

At first I thought that starting with a concept would be it, but now it seams way more complicated (we need a concept and the consentment of the author to use it) And a concept would restrain the creativity you can put into your work, which isn't always good imo. But it also a good way to just dive right in and start modeling the character while having a good idea where to go.

So both are kind of great and I imagine that we could do both. Submitting a general idea of the theme at first and then adding an optional concept reference if there is one. Or if there is a badass concept we could find a corresponding general theme for those who want to start from scratch.

Hell we can even start a special 2D thread for the concepts in the same way we do it here. That way we fuel in an idea the 2D artist in the other thread deliver a bunch of awesome art and then we select the most popular one and start a modeling it in here.
    The possibilities are endless!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVY1-v97Mic"]Evil Laugh - YouTube[/ame]
  • Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    Awesome idea - voted and looking forward to participate in these :)
  • Narh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Narh polycounter lvl 5
    I vote for the hunter option. Cant actually vote because My account is still (4 days) pending mod approval or something =\
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea of having a concept that we everyone can agree on so we wont have to each go draw up or find a concept based on a particular theme.
    Heck maybe we could have multiple concepts like the top 3 most voted for or something.

Anyway still stoked that this is happening :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    zicoV wrote: »
    I like the idea of having a concept that we everyone can agree on so we wont have to each go draw up or find a concept based on a particular theme.
    Heck maybe we could have multiple concepts like the top 3 most voted for or something.

agreed, that's how it works for the environment challenge. Character design & character modeling are two separate skills.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zicoV wrote: »

I agree. I think one of the things that make the enviro thread so great is that the concept is provided. Sure, not everyone will be as excited about the chosen concept, but I think the benefits will outweigh this negative.

For starters, I don't think its common to work from your own concepts in a professional studio environment. Using concept art specified for the challenge will help some (such as myself) to get used to this arrangement.

Secondly, not many people are both great concept artists and 3D artists, especially if you are a beginner. I think we will see much more quality work come out of these challenges if we agree to use high-quality concept art.

And finally, having several artists working from the same concept, will encourage a lot more collaboration and sharing of technique. The potential for learning from others here will be much greater.

Just thought I'd voice my support for specified concept art. I'd like to hear what others think about this. Happy to participate either way.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, let me elaborate:
    if you're a noob, designing your own character from scratch is just throwing another variable into the mix. A bad character designed that is modeled well is just as bad as a great design modeled poorly.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you have a good point here. But still I believe that those who want to do their own version or modify the concept should be able to. But yeah point taken.
    So if any of you guys have any piece of art related to the themes up there, be my guest, drop it in here people! :D
    After all, that's why this thread is for.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I like the make your own design and if you want create the concept or tweak It, this will at least shuffle things up a bit instead of one constant design everyone is doing.
    I mean for learning sure It is great if you don't plan to stick this in your portfolio or you do and so do a lot of other people participating then It is like oh another one of these.

Also what if I wanted to make a robotic Buddhist hunter? That seems interesting to me, also while I was reading this thread I thought why not have this month to come up with a concept design while everyone is waiting to get started in January and grow artistically instead of losing steam while waiting.

My .02 Cents, this is still interesting either way you swing it.

(Updated:)
    To add why not also critique each others concepts and explain why this is bad and that is bad, or what makes this good and what doesn't or what can make it better so you also again grow by looking for the signs of a bad design and also gain in understanding what makes a good design better.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I'm with Justin, I think you guys should follow the well established environment noob challenges. People can still interpret a concept differently, use different specs, tweak the style, etc.

It's already asking a lot for people to finish a project in the month, throwing variables in there is going to create some chaos.

Whatever, just my 2 cents. :)
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
    The comicon challenge will start on January..I'll be participating in that and I think a lot of artists will too. That would take some time and everyone might prolly focus on that so I'm not sure what would be a good time to start this challenge. This is an awesome idea nevertheless. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say just do what the environment challenge has been doing, just swap out character concepts instead of environmnets, it's currently on challenge 14 so something must be working right!

To quote Alex from the Challenge 14 concept thread
    "Post what you'd like to do next month, remember to vote by re-posting the picture of the concept you vote for. Anyone can vote even if you are not in the challenge. Add concepts you like too! "

I started looking for monks then just sorta veered down a concept hole.
    pathfindermonk01.jpg
    Nolan_comp.jpg
    darksiders2_skele.jpg
    alexpascenko01.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with Justin, I think you guys should follow the well established environment noob challenges. People can still interpret a concept differently, use different specs, tweak the style, etc.

It's already asking a lot for people to finish a project in the month, throwing variables in there is going to create some chaos.

and
    I say just do what the environment challenge has been doing, just swap out character concepts instead of environmnets, it's currently on challenge 14 so something must be working right!

Pretty much sums it up for me! Everyone doesn't need to make the exact concept and I'm sure a lot of people will make their own unique design decisions. Excited to see how this turns out!
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    I've been in the mood for some character lately and this comes in at the right time i guess :D.

On the topic of the concept, having taken part in some of the Environment challenges, I'd say do as they do it.
    At the end of the month there's still quite a lot of difference in the execution of the piece even if they're all based on the same concept. Everyone still interprets the concept as they see it, so they do look similar overall but there's a good variety amongst them.

This makes the challenge even more fun imho, you can learn a lot from seeing how others are tackling problems and some of the thing you might find problematic won't be for someone else.
    This and since none is forcing any particular specs on the challenge you could do it in 1000 polies with handpainted textures or go 80k with three 2k maps.

Also it's to be considered the time frame allowed. Probably not everyone taking part in the challenge will be able to complete a full character in a month. So having one concept is going to help on the critics/paintovers and less experienced people might get along the tasks faster by looking at other's work.

TLDR; In the end it'll be fine and more useful on the learning side, imho, if everyone is following the same concept.

EDIT: Also i'm quite liking the last concept Justin posted :D
  • Fatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also for following the environment thread's example, there's a lot of ways to interpret a single concept. And if you end up doing it that way, my vote goes to Mr. Skeleton Warrior...

darksiders2_skele.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I'd say, we should all do character from the same concept art. Great learning experience and it's still up to each of us to decide the style of it.

GameArtisan will have Comic Challenge something on the 1st of Jan anyway. So, let's keep noob learning something for us and different from challenge. ;P
  • Jenoku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenoku polycounter lvl 8
    Sounds like a brilliant idea! I agree keeping the structure of the challenge similar to the environment one, since why change something that's working so well?

Been wondering when a character version of the environment challenge was going to pop up!
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I started looking for monks then just sorta veered down a concept hole.
    pathfindermonk01.jpg

I like this one.It would be hard to me get chest done :D.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    pathfindermonk01.jpg

good start justin!
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Nolan_comp.jpg

alexpascenko01.jpg

Those are my 2 faves. Ans also, you are probably right about the whole concept thingy. I'm gonna try to find something about a hunter since it's the one that gets the biggest part of the love you give to all this guys!

But it's great that you guys are starting dropping pics and debating all this! I'm so happy this is going to be a real thing!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    here is another great concept by Hethe Srodawa
    it has a wide variety of surfaces and should be a good exercise.
    make sure to ask for permission though!

http://cghub.com/images/view/718683/

samurai_wasteland_outfits.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we start now, we will have 2 weeks to finish this :P
  • RobSamuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm absolutely in.

Everyone creating from a single reference is definitely the best way to go as it lets us see how others approach the same problems.

However, It would be nice to have the freedom to design to a theme if we wanted?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    If we start now, we will have 2 weeks to finish this :P

yeah, this for January.

I'm going to participate as well, I've never done a current gen character and pretty much open zbrush once every few years to see what's new.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    some characters ive wanted to do for a while.
    xfq1.jpg
    vynd.jpg
    hjf0.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Cool concepts. I especially like the skeleton guy and the cat eared warrior girl. This is one of those things that kills me because I want to start focusing on FX work...but this could be so much fun. As for the time frame, if you decided on something soon, you could always make the first contest just run longer. Start it in the next few days but allow it to run until the end of January, just to get the kinks out. Being as it's the first contest, it may not be a bad idea for people who haven't done much character work to have a little extra time to get caught up on proper workflow.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I agree with praetus. If possible it would be cool to start this now and run it until the end of January. Also it would be nice to hammer out exact rules for this like they have on the environment challenge.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Also it would be nice to hammer out exact rules for this like they have on the environment challenge.

Taken directly from the Environment challenge. I think it actually works well for the most part as it doesn't limit polycount or texture sizes. More about just making good art that is challenging for you to create within the time frame.
    Try to do one crit for every post you make, this will make for a better learning environment and help us grow as artists.

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used, but feel free to use any.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.
    Things to add, in my opinion:
    • Make sure your work is rigged and posed, maybe? Final pieces shouldn't be in stock t-poses as it's pretty boring.
    • Final product needs to be in a game ready mesh. Show off your Zbrush sculpts if you have them, but they're not a final piece.
    • I think the other rule they have is "Don't use dDo."
    I feel like the rules need to be fairly open ended for this challenge. I mean, what would we limit especially with PS4 and XB1 spec into account? The cool thing is, someone could take the concepts and run with a super low 2k tri limit for a handheld game, or 50k+ for PS4. Textures could be diffuse hand painted on a single 512 or multiple 4096 with a full shader network in marmoset 2 or UDK. I do feel that people should say up front what their goal is within their posts so they can get a proper critique. There is so much range, I think the "challenge" is more about learning new workflows and honing your craft.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think rigging should be mandatory.
    Most people will probably resolve to automagic rigging anyway if they can find one.

I personally will rig my characters. For the sake of using various physical attachments on them (rigid bodies, Cloth).
    I think the other rule they have is "Don't use dDo."
    I'm going to use Substance Designer anyway ;p. I must get finally hand on it and learn it, I have a feeling it's going to be big thing after Substance Painter will be released.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, this would be so much fun to work on!

hjf0.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I dunno if I can vote on my own suggestion, but I think this one is really cool, whatever =P
    vynd.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We should have maybe 2-3 poly budget for each piece, and everyone can pick any style.
    Like, maybe; NUMBERS are examples !!! I just pulled em out of ma arse !
    Option 1: Mobile Game Budget: 1000 Poly, 512 Diffuse.
    Option 2: Mid Res: 8k Poly, 1024 Diff, Normal, Alpha.
    Option 3: Next Gen: 30k Poly, 2048 all maps.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    oohhh, that is a good idea.
  • AzureXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzureXIII polycounter lvl 12
    @ PyrZern thats a great idea, but I think it's 1500 to 2k for mobile now days. I wonder if there someone from gameloft or something that could tell us their mobile budget.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where this is going. I've consolidated all of the suggested rules into a more easily digestible format for further discussion. Paraphrased for the sake of clarity. I also took some liberties with the proposed poly budgets because I'm slightly OCD:
    1. Leave at least one critique per post.

2. Create your own textures.

3. Final product should be posed and rendered in real-time.

4. Try your best to finish on time.

5. Post your work-in-progress in the designated Monthly Character Challenge thread.

6. Don't use dDo. (discuss?)

7. Select your budget and stick to it:
    Mobile: 2k Triangles, 512 Diffuse Only
    Mid Res: 8k Triangles, 1024 Diffuse, Normal, Spec, Alpha
    High Res: 32k Triangles, Multiple 2048 Any Maps your Engine Supports

My votes for the concept art:

vynd.jpg

xfq1.jpg

Edit: Rule 7, changed "polys" to "triangles" for clarity.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is 8k poly good for mid res ? I just picked random number.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm far from an authority on the topic, but it seems reasonable to me. I'll cite ArenaNet's character art tests which budget 7500 tris with 1024 normal, diffuse, specular, and alpha.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God this is getting serious!

The rules are a really great idea and I belive that for a certain type of concept we should pick and adviseble polycount. I mean by that if we choose a cartoony little creature it would be less likely to see it in a next-gen (current-gen?) format than a mid/low one, isn't it? But in the end if one wants to push the limit further it should be ok, especialy with the PS4/XBoxOne being powerful enough to handle all kind of madness.

PS: Brandon.LaFrance, thanks for the recap dude, I think this goind to set thing straight pretty well.

PPS: For the dDo thingy, I belive that's it's ok to use such things as far as they don't become the center of your workflow. and by that I mean that you could enhance some textures by plugging all in dDo but in the end it should remain a bonus and not a whole workflow. Especially with characters.

PPPS: I see your
    xfq1.jpg

and raise with

dude_8_by_fightpunch-d6akda6.jpg
    tumblr_mr0o0t6WLl1rfyiu4o1_1280.jpg
    Ice%20elite%201%20copy.jpg
    Kalibos-stages.jpg
  • maatin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maatin polycounter lvl 7
    This is great!! I just hope I have the time to participate!

However, I feel that some of the suggested concepts might be a bit too advanced for a "noob" challange...or maybe i´m thinking about it the wrong way.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can agree with that. But that is part of a challenge. If the concept seems to hard for you to make it, try to simplify it to get at least basic representation, and then build up on it.

And hopefully other people will tell you what to do, and how to best approach it.
  • maatin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maatin polycounter lvl 7
    @iniside - Yeah, that is true!
    I´m looking forward to see how this turns out!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    So do we have a deadline for deciding on a concept?
    also this one is kinda cool:
    dude_8_by_fightpunch-d6akda6.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I think the best idea; would be to pick 3 concepts from those posted, and allow us to vote; that way we can get this thing underway and organised :D
  • [Deleted User]
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Yuze: You are right at some point, but even is if the concept deviates from the natural humanoid or just lack the canonical proportion of a human, it is still a pretty good thing to experience I think. Every character artist should learn the human body and master the basic proportions and muscular groups (still not my case by the way...) But this kind of stuff by studiyng the body in a very different way (usually working on complicated poses or doing sketches and paint overs) Exactly the kind of stuff you can do on your own with good reference.

This on the other hand if more of the "dive right in" brute force stuff where you can try lots of new stuff and get a lot of feedback and advise from people who know what they are talking about. At least that's why I am here for (this and the fun of working on this kind of stuff) , but maybe I got it wrong.