Home Technical Talk

XNormal Cage issues

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rv_el polycounter lvl 18
Hey. I've been having a hard time with XNormal lately. One problem i'm having is I have some FBX files for a Low Poly and a Cage but it seems like Xnormal is not using the cage.

I added it the way I have in the past. I made sure the box is checked for Use Cage.

The final result is nothing like in 3dsmax. The normal map not only looks different than its non-cage XN version but the actual ray distance looks incredibly long. Like 10.0. As if the cage was inflated greatly.

Anybody run into this or know how to fix it?

Thanks

Replies

• beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    Can't say I have. I just finished a bake from a cage and it did exactly what it should be doing...granted, it's not displaying right in toolbag 2...but that's another matter.

Could you post a pic by chance of the error?
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Hey rv_el.

I haven't had any problems like you're mentioning in the past so I'm curious what you might be running into.

In my workflow I export both the low poly and the cage as separate triangulated obj's, so it may be a fbx issue... even though it should work the exact same way.
    The only problem I've run into in the past is when the cage model and the low poly end up having a different vert count due to some verts collapsing.

I'll do some tests when I get home and see if I can recreate the problem.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I might have to try doing the triangulated OBJs.

It is funny. When I use a cage either in XNormal or in Max the normal map comes out really heavy. Like jacked up exaggerated. But when I don't use a Cage it comes out looking more normal.

It has been one of those days....

I probably can't post my stuff. It is for work :/.