Home General Discussion

Is it possible to learn Max in a month?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
octokitty polycounter lvl 14
So, I'm fluent in modeling and texturing in Maya and know how to do some simple rigging. I now have a job opportunity that would require me to learn Max by the beginning of the year (and be comfortable doing a live test covering basic modeling, texturing, and rigging). I want to know if it's worth it to buckle down and try to seriously learn this program in a month? Is it possible? So far, the program seems so different from Maya. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should focus all my extra time on this. I have a full time job so I don't have a lot of extra time anyway. Also, with the holidays it makes things more difficult. Please give me some advice so I don't go crazy! Thanks!

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Yes it is.

Just search for 3d motive or eat3d videos covering max on their websites and you should be ready to go.
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I'm coming from the opposite side, I need to learn Maya coming from Max.
    The biggest problem I find is the naming convention of tools.
    for example in Max you have a turbosmooth modifier, in Maya you simply hit 1,2 or 3 for different subdivision levels.

Holla via PM if you need help but can't be arsed making a thread to figure something out, i'll be happy to help.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    yeah id agree with pedro. 3dmotive has a great intro to max video. all you'll need to really get a handle on is where everything is. even after that month itll be slow but over time muscle memory will kick in.
  • dmj
    I'd say it is very doable, especially if you already have knowledge of general modeling and texturing principals.

Digital Tutors has a solid "Introduction to 3DS Max" course, and also ones specifically for modeling, texturing, etc. that should familiarize you with the software.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    1 week to be able to work in max, about 2 or 3 to be able to work at a decent speed in max, if you already know your modeling skills.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Well, everything is possible. learn it in a month? Sure. To master it tho, you'll need way more time than that.
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone! I'm gonna get on it then. I'll check out those websites and hopefully I'll be in a better place with this next month. :)
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    If you have previous experience with another package, couple of weeks watching Max modelling videos by intermediate users could work. I was in a similar situation but the reverse, from Max to Maya and I was also transitioning (in a rush!) from an animator to hard surface modeler.

You don't have to master every corner of Max, just figure out where to find and how to use the basic tools you need to get your job done.

I was "Maya functional" when I started my new role and good thing there was a helpful Maya dude who filled in my knowledge gaps.

You probably want to check out actual modelling projects as opposed to another boring video showing you what is what in the u.i. (but maybe you have the patience for it). Check out the freebie tutorials of this site http://cg.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/

Bring a Max hotkey or u.i. reference sheet print out to your new job if you have to. If your co-workers to be know you're not a real Max user anyway there shouldn't be a problem if you bring whatever ref you need to ramp your skills up to their production speed.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    You mentioned you have to learn rigging in Max as well. Did they specify a bones rig or Character Studio/CAT?

Learning to create a human rig with bones would take longer. With that along with modelling/UVing, and as you mention the holidays getting in the way, you would really have to bust ass and hardly get any sleep.
  • BradleyWascher
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    Hey ocotkitty Im actually in the process of releasing a tutorial series to cover this exact topic (Learning Max after knowing Maya) if will be out next Friday 20th Dec on Udemy. An as a max user that had to learn Maya and now use's Maya everyday if you have any questions about jumping to max just message me :).

Also its totally possible to learn max in under a month, in a week you should be back up to 90% efficiency then over the next 2 weeks you'll know almost everything you will need. Good Luck!
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I didn't see the last few replies earlier! So I get at least until the end of January now to continue learning Max, and that is great because I wasn't able to put in a whole lot of time in December. I did however make some progress, so I'm getting there! I've got most of modeling and materials down, but haven't touched UVing and rigging. I'm gonna be pulling some late nights this month, but I have more time now!

@MagicSugar - That is a great idea! I hadn't thought about bringing in a hotkey ref sheet. Thanks!

@Fomori - They want me to do a simple bones rig, so I should be pretty familiar with that.

@BradleyWasher - Perfect timing with the tutorial, I will check it out. Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice!
  • ATaylor
    You might have already overcome this but a massive ordeal I found whilst learning max was that if you can never select or deselect or edit a mesh, you may have hit spacebar by accident which locks a model.

And if you find yourself with odd deformities (for lack of a better word) with a model, and you can't quite solve the issues, select the mesh, then press the hammer tab and select reset xform and reset selected.

Good luck with your learning!
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    cg academy had a great tutorial from Paul Neale on rigging and his personal site has some good stuff also.

http://paulneale.com/tutorials.htm

I havent been through them in years but the tutorials that ship with max used to have some great intro rigging and uv stuff.
  • BradleyWascher
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    Hey ocotokitty the tutorial I created is up on the polycount news feed page for going from maya to 3ds max. If you needed any extra help Im always in the classes answering any questions any one has, hope this helps! Cheers!

https://www.udemy.com/learning-3ds-max-after-knowing-maya-modeling/
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are all so freakin helpful and supportive, I love Polycount!

@ATaylor - Yes! I do have those issues sometimes and I've gotten a bit used to them, but still have trouble here and there... so thanks for the tips :)

@Popeye - More free tutorials :D Awesome, thank you!

@BradleyWascher - That is definitely very helpful, I'll check out your tutorial this weekend and let you know if I have any questions! Thanks so much :)
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget a few useful shortcuts that you will use daily.

F9 ---> render.

F10 ---> render setup.

H ---> will show every objects in a scene.

(ctrl) + x ---> Expert mode, don't be afraid.

(ctrl) + w ---> will open a full sized viewport (cursor must hover in viewport).

(ctrl) + q ---> isolation mode.

(ctrl) + b ---> will let go of any stack you select or editpoly.

(alt) + x ---> see through.

(alt) + c ---> cut in edit poly.

(ctrl) + w ---> will target weld UVs in Unwarp (UV editor).

Good luck.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Entirely, I went from Max to Maya in about 3 days with a guys udemy course who posts on here, a week I entirely hit my stride, now its hard to switch my brain into max mode after a month takes me a few minutes, have to really keep my thumb off the alt key.

But I feel very comfortable with maya now something id tried a few times over several years and it just never stuck.
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the shortcuts @Peanut, I didn't know most of those! I'm gonna have a lot of time to learn more today and tomorrow, so I I'll be able to make some really good progress.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    oh, something I always do is change the "H" shortcut from "select from scene" to the "selection floater"

I don't know why the two exist and select from scene is the default because it's just a shittier version of the selection floater. The selection floater has the same features but it takes up less screenspace, uses text instead of icons AND you can keep it open while you work. If you try to click on something outside of the select from scene window it will just give you the annoying error ding.

3dsmax_select.png

I'm also fairly sure it isn't hotkeyed by default - I bind Select Sub-object Loop & Ring to Alt+L and Alt+R

Lastly, I use bridge a lot and you can't bind it without a script called urg_bridge.mcr which is part of Urgaffels script pack 01
  • Toasty3D
    It would certainly be nice if basic controls were the same in every program. That's what gets to me going from Blender to MotionBuilder and vice versa.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes Justin Meisse, there's a controversy surrounding the "h" key but while we are at it, do you know of anyone writing a script or even uncover the mystery with bidding "redo last command" in 3dsmax (namely "g" in Maya) ?

This would be a dream come true in itself.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    repeat last (edit poly) is bound to ";" by default, I don't find myself using it that much though
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    repeat last (edit poly) is bound to ";" by default, I don't find myself using it that much though

Oh nice, but it doesn't work everywhere i presume. Even after +12 years under max there's some hidden places i haven't looked into.

thanks
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ For that H key, I recommend PJanssen's Outliner :)
  • WarrenM
    No, it's fairly useless. Works on a very limited subset of things and never quite does what you expect it to. I never use it.

The "Repeat Last Command" in Modo, however, is excellent...
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    cptSwing wrote: »
    ^ For that H key, I recommend PJanssen's Outliner :)
    haha was about to post the same. Never looked back to those poorly designed selection windows.
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    when I want to repeat an action I use the quad menu and click the header of the quad containing the last command ie; the stitch command in the uv editor

I can configure the quad menu to fit my needs.