Home General Discussion

Ground Branch, will this game revive the tactical squad based genre?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
underfox polycounter lvl 7
I was playing the good old rainbow six and swat 4 lately and noted that this genre basicaly died. Rainbow six kinda dumbed down the " highly tactical and simulation " side to focus it self on storytelling and a more arcadish gameplay. Swat 4 unfortunatly died.

there was ghost recon, but ghost recon 2 unfortunatly followed another path, and since then well ghost recon isn't really the simultion game the 1st was.

The closest to a squad based game that existe today is arma 3 but it is closer to a military simulation than a tactical squade game.

Well lately I found this game named Ground Branch, made by an indie studio withe the lead designer of the first rainbow six and ghost recon at it's head, and I was quite pleased by what the little they were showing.
this video is from last year kickstart ( unfortunatly they failed to meet the necessary found raising )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ju66BqaUr4"]Ground Branch Kickstarter v2 - YouTube[/ame]

Lately they announced that they were switching to Unreal engine 4 for the engine of the game. they also released a teaser for the kickstarter coming january 2014

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DZqrIq2BI"]Ground Branch KS Teaser 1 - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know if there are any old school rainbow six, swat or ghost recon player here, but what do you think about it?

Replies

• NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks cool as I'm a fan of the genre, but I'm not sure if it'll be that successful. Games are getting dumbed down every year and I'm sure most people now don't want to spend the time to learn how to play this kind of game. I'd also imagine that the announcement of UE4 will help boost the kickstarter because everybody wants to try the new shiny engine on their PCs.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Negev - why would this game have a higher barrier to entry? A game doesn't have to be complex to be deep. The largest element of a tactical game is that you have to think more and be aware of your enemy. Three-quarters of the physical skills and such should carry over from bullet sprayers, and you should be able to start playing right away if you just keep in mind that there are much larger risks and you can't take much damage.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Negev - why would this game have a higher barrier to entry? A game doesn't have to be complex to be deep. The largest element of a tactical game is that you have to think more and be aware of your enemy. Three-quarters of the physical skills and such should carry over from bullet sprayers, and you should be able to start playing right away if you just keep in mind that there are much larger risks and you can't take much damage.

that's exactly it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe I'm not explaining very well, but i'm not feeling tip-top today. Anyway.

In a game like this, there are two main things to take in to account. There's the game, but more importantly there's the player. Any time you're talking tactics, you're talking thinking, and thus talking about the player. A fairly good example of that would be Quake3:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRMn1tj5-Nc"]Quake 3 Arena - Fatal1ty Vs Aim - YouTube[/ame]

Which is a very simple game, but because of the players learning the map, knowing the times, and even knowing the most common routes other players take, it becomes an immensely deep tactical game. Sure twitch skill is still a very large element, but it's nothing if you play just reactionary.

In short, my point is that you don't need a complex game to have a tactical game. What you need is a slow-ish game where you have a bit of time to think, and where mistakes are costly. This is what promotes well thought out approaches, not a large variety of guns and skills.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the fact that this kind of game is slowpaced and 2 to 3 shots are enough to kill ,that will make you think twice before blindly opening a door.

I really miss the days where you played thos games with a team " IN TEAM ". the experience was priceless. I'm hungry for a good tactical squad game.

This generation got none what a shame.

I miss this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foRXx7WlWWA"]Swat 4 Co-Op Gameplay HD "A-Bomb Nightclub" - YouTube[/ame]
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm just saying a tactical game is harder to play than a shooter that involves a lot less thinking.

CS is a tactical game, you use a ton of teamwork, you need map knowledge, you need weapon knowledge, you need to know how the physics of the game will affect factors such as your jumping and grenade tosses, the list goes on and on.

Compare that to a game like CoD, which only requires you to have map knowledge and knowledge of the equipment to be successful (in addition to game sense, but every competitive game requires that.)

Counter-Strike is one of the most popular tactical games out there right now, and even then it isn't very popular anymore, 1.6 and CSS both have communities that get smaller every year, CZ might as well not exist, and everybody is playing CSGO. Then go ahead and look at the CSGO community, Valve gave a statistic a while back, but something like 60-70% of the people playing CSGO are playing Casual mode exclusively, if you've played Casual you'll know that it's a strategy-less clusterfuck.

Then the player base gets split further with the other modes, and finally you're left with maybe 30% of the community playing competitive mode which actually requires all of those factors I listed before. In addition to that, very few people play on ESEA compared to the past (because of the introduction of MM), and altpug and leetway are almost nonexistent as well.

Generally speaking, most people nowadays just want a game they can pick up and automatically be good at. I know people that claim to love shooters, but then they don't play any FPS other than CoD for more than 5 minutes because they don't want to learn the new mechanics. Additionally, the devs of CoD intentionally don't make changes because they know most of their fanbase consists of people who hate gameplay change. I remember when that Activision spokesperson had to tell people to shut up because gamers were threatening Treyarch over a patch that slightly increased the draw time of one of the sniper rifles.

Personally I play an incredibly wide variety of games and I really miss the tactical genre because the only way for me to get a tactical fix now would be to either play quake live (which I've played to death) or to play CSGO (which is a hacker infested shit hole right now.)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    cs and quake might be games with shooting that have tactics, but usually when people describe this sub-genre they're talking about rainbow six, rogue spear, raven shield, ghost recon 1, swat 3, and swat 4. the unifying theme is a more simulationist approach to equipment, lethality, and movement. i miss games like those.

we've still got arma but it's a difference of scale, arma generally takes place on larger battlefields with larger groups of combatants and usually involves vehicles.

obviously these things have more of a niche appeal but it seems like these days it's much easier for independent companies to create lower-budget games that target a niche, so, i for one hope this game is successful.

there was a recent kickstarter game in this genre called takedown: red sabre which seemed promising but was a little rough around the edges on release.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I bought takedown too, unfortunatly it was a letdown due to some basic game design flaw and an AI extremely dumb. The maps are huge for just a 5 v 5, You end up just running around until you stumble on someone, and well you don't really have a lot of interaction with the evironment either.

What I liked with Ground branch is that they want it to have some nice little detail Like opening a door with the tip of the weapon for exemple.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbnsGJZQYks"]Ground Branch In-Game 2013-07-28 - YouTube[/ame]
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finaly some good news about the game:
    We are not doing a new Kickstarter.
    Now that the initial shock is over let’s talk about the good news.
    Instead of a second kickstarter we are going to do our own Early Access on this site until we have a build that can officially go up on Steam Early Access. Yep, we feel we pretty much have a solid enough build that we feel comfortable putting it out there. It will be rough, buggy and lack features/content but it will be Ground Branch and will give you a very good idea of what that actually means.
    We are finally there people!
    While getting the UE4 build far enough along to get decent KS material, we realized that we were actually pretty close to having something playable. I saw that we could spend a month building out the KS material then another month running the KS or we could spend that time finalizing the build, getting our licensing in order and the EA infrastructure in place to actually get GB out there in playable form. In the amount of time it would take to create the KS then run the campaign, you will be able to play and support GB! So in the not to distant future you will be able to financially support GB while playing it and while getting constant updates and giving us feedback.

There are a few very important things that are happening before we can actually launch this thing. We have a “punch list” of items that must be done before anything gets released. More importantly, we still need to get the final engine licensing paperwork(certain things need to be done before we can ship anything to the public) with Epic completed and all of their legal items in place. This may take a few more weeks, but the process has started. Don’t worry things aren’t going to drag out that long.

We will be handing out a build or two to a select small group of forum members before going public to make sure we have all the kinks worked out. Final licensing paperwork must be in place for that as well. We will soon expose a “store” page here that will list various support tiers just like a kickstarter, though you will get an actual download link once the transaction is complete. We plan to follow the lead of successful early access titles that paved their own way like Door Kickers and Overgrowth.

We feel this is a win win situation and one that allows us to grow Ground Branch development at a natural pace. It allows us to hold true to our mantra: ‘Do not build a community around a game….. Build a game around a community’
    Keep checking back for more information as everything is finalized over the next few weeks.
    - See more at: http://www.groundbranch.com/#sthash.WJhTHlKl.dpuf

me can't wait.