Home General Discussion

interview coming up...

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
rino polycounter lvl 11
i got a interview coming up (still shocked, because my art isn't as awesome as it should be), but there is an issue - i am still in high school.

the real problem isn't how am i going to do both (it's resolved already) but am i employable without education? so basically, can i get the job?

any tips or anything it would be helpful. i already did the art test, they liked it.

HALP!

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    your work is decent enough and even better than many professionals with 3-5 years experience.

usually studios tend to hire someone like you who has decent portfolio and shows enough potential to grow but is a student or a recent graduate TO SAVE MONEY.

they most likely think they can get a decent artist for cheap salary.

if you are not worried about that, go for it. just make sure they you know what your service is worth.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    If they've already offered you an interview I would assume they've seen your resume and seen no formal education on it and are perfectly fine with that.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Experience > Education.

If you don't have experience, you really won't buy much leeway into most companies. Unless you've got the most memorable "Where the fuck did that art come from" portfolio, where people want to both know and see more of you.

I'd take the job if one becomes offered (full-time) that is...

Education can and will, come and go. Life is about the experiences, and I heavily recommend you take them. Seeing you are aiming for characters. You shouldn't think and guess twice. It's rough competition.

I'll just be frank about the end if you choose education. "Keep dreaming".
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    thanks MM, means a lot coming from you. i guess that's good news. thanks for the advice!

JamesArk, that's kinda alright if you have no degree maybe, but no high school seems impossible to someone even to consider you (at least that's what i have been told).

yes, CrazyMatt of course i'd accept if they offered. i was just asking on the legal side of things. if legally i can get it, then that's all i need to know. thanks for the advice.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    As others wrote, the company most likely doesn't care, don't bring this subject up if they don't.
    I've had interviewers ask me about modding experience that I have listed in CV but nobody ever asked why my formal education stopped right after high school.

As for interview, one little tip - ask for water in case they don't offer it right away. Drink some before you start talking.
    I remember one time when my lips were so dry that I started to stutter, which made me feel super awkward. Also I would constantly lick lips which probably didn't look too good. So, a glass of water fixed all that.

Edit: If you're asking about legal side of things you should ask someone from your country but I'm pretty sure that companies aren't obliged to reject uneducated applicants.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    I'm from the UK so things are different here but If I were you I would finish high school if you can. How old are you and when would you be due to finish? Can you take the job and finish high school at night school? Not getting a degree often makes sense but if in a few years you regret not finishing school it's very hard to go back to school with teenagers when you are in your twenties. I know someone who did it and it was hard work and alienating. Even though this company might not mind you not having a high school diploma other may be wary of it, especially the big guys like EA and Ubisoft. Also they might not realise that you are still in school, I've been to interviews where they obviously haven't read my CV, hell I went to one where they hadn't even looked at my portfolio!
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for that water tip haha. but yes i'll try to stay away from that topic if they don't mention anything related. again, thanks for the advice, Blaisoid.

easterislandnick, i'm definitely going to finish school, it's very much doable for me to do both because i had it already planned in case i get the job. i'm 18 and almost done with school, around february probably.

i am not thinking about dropping out, i was just worried that i'll have no chance when it comes down to legal stuff, they'd just blow me off because i have no high school.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Good luck with the interview dude! That's awesome that you're starting out so young.
  • Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    good luck with the interview! what position is it for?
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    thanks a lot HitmonInfinity.

thanks, Sanro! creating assets and other stuff for characters.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    As someone who studied till his 28th, I agree with the "Experience > Education" .
    that pretty sheet of paper isn't going to beat a killer portfolio.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Good luck!
    Well my concern is if you live in Czech do you plan on ever leaving? if so, without a degree it would be tough to get a visa overseas. Just my opinion.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    thanks aajohnny!

of course i plan to leave. yes, i do know it's difficult to get a visa without a degree, that's the one and only reason why i ever plan going to university. thanks for the advice.

i probably won't get the job, they'll probably go with "you are too young" or "when you finish high school bla bla". tomorrow is the interview, so i'll let you guys know how it went.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i am not thinking about dropping out, i was just worried that i'll have no chance when it comes down to legal stuff, they'd just blow me off because i have no high school.

I suppose that by high school you mean education in university, college etc?
    As far as I know, in english speaking countries 'high school' is the last school before university, meaning your current school.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    I suppose that by high school you mean education in university, college etc?
    As far as I know, in english speaking countries 'high school' is the last school before university, meaning your current school.

yeah, high school THEN university/college.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    interview is done. it went awesomely well. this is possibly the first time i'll be able to comfortably sleep without thinking that i said something stupid.

lasted around 25 minutes.

it basically went like, he gave me an introduction to the company, what they are working on, what they are looking from me. most of it was him speaking. also commented on my art test, said it was well done but said texture should've been made from references.

questions were easy, what software i used, how did i taught myself, was it through school or by myself, what visa do i have.. it was super easy and awesome.

worst moment was anxiety before the interview, but as soon as i sat down it was all gone.

once again thank you all. if i do get the job, whole polycount gets beers.