Home Technical Talk

Vertex color (per face) in 3ds max - exportation mystery

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Flohock polycounter lvl 4
Hi!

I'm working on a cartoon-ish game at the moment and we are using vertex color only to paint our objects.

Most of the time, I'm colouring per face in 3d studio, so I can get hard edges in the colouration. It works pretty fine in max, but when it comes to export it as a fbx (or any other format), the face color information are transformed into standard vertex color which breaks the sharp edges and gives a random smooth transition on each border face.

I can understand why it does that. However the strange thing is, the fbx exportation works perfectly fine in maya. A colleague is using maya to do the same thing and he can export to unity, perfectly fine hard-edged color information inside a fbx.

Also, if it works in unity, if I try to open the very same fbx in 3ds max, the hard edges are broken again and only pure vertex color information remains.

We are using max and maya 2012. So I tried doing the same in max 2013 and 2014. Maybe they would have improved the fbx exporter since then. Exactly the same problem occurs with 2013. But in 2014, something very strange happens... Colouring by face seems to have become impossible in 2014. I tried opening a max file I created in max 2013 into 2014. And The vertex color information were all messed up. But not completely converted in pure vertex color information neither.

Would there be any workaround to preserve the vertex color information at exportation? Should I switch to Maya and learn the software?

Example below, first a 3x3x3 cube I created in max 2013, secondly after exporting/importing in max 2013 and finally after opening the max file in max 2014 :
PosqNGZxvVCZzsgs

Replies