Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remington 870 material practice

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hello guys, its me once again trying to become better at texturing, i have been working on this shotgun slowlly, and i have came to the point that i dont know what else i can do to improove it, so i said, hey! lets post it in polycoutn so i can get feedback and improove
I was going for some kind of clean look, not totally clean, but i didnt want ti to be all torn appart either.
Anyways, here is what i have so far, i would like to get all the critics i can so i can improove my textures. They are the classic spec,diffuse,gloss,normal rendered in marmoset 2.
5FwOp.png
5G7jU.png
5G7mw.png

Replies

• DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    It looks really good, but I would only say that it could use a bit more wear on the handle and the stock.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The triangular cutouts in the butt plate are too stark. This is the closest example I could find to yours:
    DSC03607.jpg
    Take careful note of the edges of the insets; this can probably be handled in the normal map. Also not that the rubber has a distinctly grayish cast.

I haven't seen many examples with a brass support for the ammunition tube, and the only examples I've seen with such a wide support had an extended magazine.
    157ead3c.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks for the tips! I added the brass support just to add some color to it and another interesting material, do you suggest removing it?
    I will edit the rubber and edit the normal maps.
    Any suggestions about the metal? i want it to be more interesting whithout too much wear. I would also want to know if the metal in the shell ejection hole looks good. Thanks so far for the critics!
    I like the thing to store shells in this screenshot: DSC03607.jpg
    I am thinking in adding it and add some shells to it as well
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    So i added the mentioned attachment, i havent defined in the materials, but i want to know what you guys think about it, does it fit in the gun?
    5GNzw.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    I would like to know if you dig the attachment, i feel like its missing something, it may be the materials, anyways! please continue criticing this pice :)
    5Hwek.jpg
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    You have some weird shading going on, on the brass parts of the shells.
    Also, the ammo holder is lacking an AO bake, and the textures are only slapped on it, the pattern has also big size differences, which is distracting.
    It needs more grunge and maybe seams.
    But you are heading in the right direction, keep pushing it further!