Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Charr Mecha

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Uberren polycounter lvl 11
Hi all, I haven't posted in a while but I want to get some feedback as I work on this new little side project alongside my uni work. I've always been a fan of Guild Wars so I wanted to make something that I thought would fit in with the Charr culture of Guild Wars 2.

This is mainly for practice/fun and potentially something I can add to my portfolio if I really like how it turns out.

Here are some references I gathered to help guide me along:
MyPmHqm.png

All I have done so far is a bare-bones block out. The legs still need work as they are completely wrong, but I am quite happy with everything else, proportions-wise.
Most of my effort has gone into the arm so far.

sdq5Vdu.png
7KCngsy.png
6TnKrn4.png

As for that flat area on its back, I am planning on creating a cannon of some sorts to be mounted there, eventually.

I would very much appreciate some comments/crits :)

Replies

• Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a couple of changes to the armour on the arm, making it looks a bit more smooth, also added two springs :)
    tVktusK.png
    w3FXndL.png

Might move on to the legs now, but I would appreciate some critique on the arms so far.
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool concept man! There are a few issues I'm seeing though. The gear elbow you have doesn't make much sense for articulation purposes, the elbow has to move in all directions, not just one plane. Also, the base of the thumb should protrude slightly from the hand, don't just have it sticking straight out the side.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks rather like one of the older iterations of the Warhound Titans from Epic 40,000/Titan Legions. That could make for a useful design reference.

At this stage, I'd suggest the way his legs and hips are designed feels a bit awkward. Extending his metatarsals so that he's got more digitigrade legs would probably help a lot.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RIU4gSI.png

@CSOConnor
    Thanks! :) I have changed the elbow to a ball+socket. I liked how the gear looked, but as you said, that did not make much sense for an elbow. I've also tried to smooth out the transition from hand to thumb as well.

@Jackablade
    The Warhound Titans suggestion was really useful, I didn't realise what I was making was so similar to it. Saved some to my references. :thumbup:
    And yes, I am planning on reworking the legs and feet, as they do not match the Charr legs depicted in my references. I will keep in mind what you said. :)
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the leg:
    dOoeGOe.png
    rLbaUrG.png

I think it looks much better than what I originally had there.
    Also made the hand a bit smaller.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the body and waist. I would really appreciate some comments on the waist/hips specifically. :)

QiD52x9.png
    p9Rj0IQ.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added more details to the chassis and created a furnace/engine type machine since the back was sparse.

5TPzXTE.png
    mBz2LFD.png
    FQWsm1t.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That gun is in the way of the hand closing and grabbing, so you've essentially got no use for the hand. I suggest either shortening the barrel, or maybe putting it in place of one or two of the fingers. Two fingers and a thumb are enough to grab something, plus it has the funny side effect of the gun looking like a middle finger.

You've got a lot of sprockets that aren't connected to anything else and thus won't move.