Home General Discussion

No Man's Sky

Replies

• Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    It looks like a stop and smell the roses game with interspersed action.  Similar to Elite: Dangerous but far more accessible.  Some of those games have insanely devoted followings.

I'm not a huge fan of the over saturated look, but bringing it down a notch (could just be video quality) hits a really good sweet spot in my opinion.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'm still very excited to play the game and can't wait to dive in.

However, I am a little worried that the guy who paid lots of money to get an early build got to the "end game" (center of the universe) in about 30hrs. He even said he didn't rush there and took time to explore. I only briefly read the story but it was something to do being able to farm resources and buying upgrades very easily. I realise 30 hrs is a good chunk of gameplay for a lot of people but I prefer the long haul. I'll be in no rush to get to the center I just hope there is enough to keep me interested other than doing that.

I'm still very disappointed there is no multiplayer as such and that I can't hook up with friends and explore. Just seems like a no brainer and the only reason they didn't do it was for technical reason and not because they wanted to keep it a single player experience as the creator keeps suggesting.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Stinger88 said:

I'm still very disappointed there is no multiplayer as such and that I can't hook up with friends and explore. Just seems like a no brainer and the only reason they didn't do it was for technical reason and not because they wanted to keep it a single player experience as the creator keeps suggesting.
    Wait I thought you could bump in to other people? and see planets and animals that they have named?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Ged said:
    Stinger88 said:

Wait I thought you could bump in to other people? and see planets and animals that they have named?
    Same here, I thought that was the main selling point, what's the meaning with an endless universe in single player?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ged said:
    Stinger88 said:

Yes. you can. But someone worked out the math and the odds of meeting people is extremely unlikely, and even if you arrange to meet friends near the center of the universe the odds of actually meeting them is still highly unlikely. It just baffles me that they won't implement a way to easily meet your friends and explore together when everyone is playing in the same universe.

having just tried to find more info I'm not even sure you will be able to meet anyone as they won't show up in your game. So it'll be more like Dark souls where you'll just see evidence of where people have been.
    http://gamerant.com/no-mans-sky-no-multiplayer/

again, the dev's answer smells of "we couldn't technically do it, so lets just say we want it to be a single player experience"

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Yeah if other people will never see what you have named/created etc then the game would be a bit pointless in that respect. Perhaps random people will see what you've done but then again perhaps they wont - maybe you will never even know if anyone has ever seen any trace of your existence in this universe? that sounds rather sad.

I still want to get the game but not for £50, I cant spend that much on a game that's a bit of a gamble, I will wait till its a more reasonable price. I just got uncharted 4 for £32 and that was definitely worth the money to me.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    I like the whole 'its singleplayer but not really' tho I was hoping for the chance to meet someone and see them, not just the stuff they named.

And as exited as I am for this game I'm going to agree with the people concerned about this procedural generated content becoming repetitive, over the course I'v been watching this game I'v seen people mention that 'procedural generated content is the way to go' for larger games but I don't believe so. Noting beats a well polished hand crafted level. You can shove elements of stories in a math algorithm, it won't be the same as when a skilled artist makes it. 
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    MrHobo said:
    notman said:
    "Their attempt to squash anyone displaying game footage, because they don't want anything 'spoiled'. It feels like more like a company that doesn't have confidence in their game. All I've seen are clips of ships landing/launching, scanning planets, and showing some of the wildlife. Nothing explaining where the 'fun' is."
    Well to be fair... I dont think its that odd to suppress leaked prelease footage, especially a copy breaking street date that early.
    I dont think I've met too many devs in general that like leaks.
    Fair enough, but it comes up as a red flag to me. It's more understandable, when it's a shorter game, and they want to hide major plot points, but I don't feel like that's what this game is. I watched a bit of the footage, and it was just the guy investigating a planet. It just felt more like an attempt to protect sales, and not to prevent spoilers... again, I could be wrong (and hope I am)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I think the main issue is that the very little we've seen from the game so far doesn't justify the $60 pricepoint (even on PC!). It looks like a survival/exploration game like any other, and it seems to me that the main appeal of these survival games are encounters with other players and high challenge, and this game seems to lack both.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I watched some of the streams today and my hype for it is rising but it's mostly the same gameplay they've been showing all along.  I'm not sure what you guys are looking for, when I saw the new COD trailer I didn't hold hopes for the ability to go off path and explore the moons of Saturn.  Saying a game doesn't justify it's price is a knife in my heart as a game dev; the quality of games we're making now, prices should be going UP.  You can pick up Subnautica for $20, where you explore and survive in portion of an alien planet ( I think 4km x 4km) compared to 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets in No Mans Sky.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I guess this is a subjective arguement we are making, personally I don't think the amount of area you can explore necessarily means its a game that's worth more money. Look at spore, it was massive but there just wasn't much point to it all. Survival games tend to be fairly cheap and early access at the moment ARK : £23, Rust: £15, DayZ £23, we happy few: £23, subnautica: £15. ...No Mans Sky £40 

Theres got to be something about this game that makes it worth pretty much double every other survival game out there for the player.
    Im all for a game getting the respect and cash that it deserves for the devs but I dont know how to quantify that, when its released maybe we will know if its worth the cash. Maybe this is the first proper big AAA release (non early access) survival game that makes it on to everyones wishlist!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Arkaria said:
    I'll play it and let everyone know how it is hehe :mrgreen:
    Ditto :)
    My copy is confirmed for Tues delivery (No late delivery this time Amazon!)
    Im probably going to take a chunk of the day off to explore it. Last time I did that was the inital release of GTAV, haha.
    Im cautiously optimistic so far I have not seen anything that brings out the warning bells.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, it's rough being a No Man's Sky fan, if I ever say anything negative about Pokemon Go I'm a monster who doesn't want people to enjoy things! lol
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well if it's good I'm sure everyone will be quiet hehe, I'm sure most of us want it to be good.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    compared to 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets in No Mans Sky.
    I'm really excited for the game but I always get suspicious when I see this claim because all I can assume from this number is that the universe is most likely going to be filled with planets that are close copies of each other with minor differences. I've yet to play a game heavy on procedural content that didn't get stale quickly because the nature of procedural content in games is that all of the same content gets recycled in different configurations and the longer you play the more everything "new" looks like something you've already seen but with slight variation.

If I can get 30+ hours out of the game without feeling like I've seen/done everything I wanted to then I will consider this game a success. But I'm not holding out hopes that this is going to be a near infinite universe that anyone will want to fully explore.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the meantime I'm Streaming Subnautica tonight.  I forgot what I was doing last time I played it so I'm setting out to more dangerous areas and building a base: link
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the patch notes for the day 0 update have been officially released. There are some pretty interesting things in there gameplay wise and some hints for future updates.
    If anyone is interested in reading them they are here: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/
    Im boarding my hype train. 
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice update list, sounds like they know whats important to making this game succeed :)
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters."
    "Hello Games will continually update No Man’s Sky this way. This is the first of many." 

Aaaaaaaaaaand I accidentally a pre-order .... 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    accidentally pre-order in my pants..... can't wait to try this game out.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their founder is trying to set the stage, so expectations don't get out of control (if that's possible now)
    http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-maybe-isnt-the-game-you-imagined-says-hello-games-founder/

Sounds like it may be a bit 'chill' for me. Not to criticize the game, I just know what I'm into
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    The crazy thing is, the fans of NMS actually made up their own expectations for the game, despite what the developers described they would do. So, it's really understandable that they are trying to damage-control before launch. Anyway, it looks great and i am looking forward to it!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I still don't know about this game.

I just don't get the point of it and the trailers have done a poor job of making me want to buy it. If its just exploration for the sake of exploration then I'm not interested. The experience just doesn't look that engaging from the streams and it looks like it would grow old quick.

I originally thought it was going to have some pretty heavy survival elements and you would have to worry about food, water, etc. but then they released the survival trailer and it was just different gameplay segments showing the players suit status to be at different levels.

I've read a few articles by different journalists who shared similar concerns after playing the game. It seems like a crazy feat of engineering but with not much of a game underneath all that.

I'll probably jump into it on PC eventually, so hopefully there's more to it than what's been shown so far.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you really are still on the fence after the various info/trailers that have come out then it really sounds like the game (at least in its current form) just isn't for you.
    And that's fine :)  It sounds like it may be better to wait until you see something in the game that really piques your interest or wait until its cheap enough for an impulse buy.
    Sidenote- If anybody has been forming impressions off of the streams from leaked early copies it might be best to take those with a grain of salt. There are a lot of changes/updates that come with the day 1 patch that alter a lot of mechanics.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx said:
    The crazy thing is, the fans of NMS actually made up their own expectations for the game, despite what the developers described they would do. So, it's really understandable that they are trying to damage-control before launch. Anyway, it looks great and i am looking forward to it!
    This is why I hate hype for any game, people just end up making unrealistic expectations to the point where the game they expect to get is a complete fantasy. 
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    MrHobo said:
    If you really are still on the fence after the various info/trailers that have come out then it really sounds like the game (at least in its current form) just isn't for you.
    And that's fine :)  It sounds like it may be better to wait until you see something in the game that really piques your interest or wait until its cheap enough for an impulse buy.
    Sidenote- If anybody has been forming impressions off of the streams from leaked early copies it might be best to take those with a grain of salt. There are a lot of changes/updates that come with the day 1 patch that alter a lot of mechanics.
    Yeah, I'm super interested to see where it goes.

I read the Progress in Review thing IGN posted today and it honestly sounds exactly how I feared it would be. The reviewer doesn't sound too impressed by it either. Not sure if they're playing with that Day 1 update though. I read the info on that and it sounds like it adds a ton.

I'll probably wait and get it on PC when its a bit cheaper.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    I got this game just to play it for a few hours. 

Anyway, this game is garbage. Its sort of like Promethus(the game not film), but with annoying micromanagment. 

Did the devs even play this game. Its not fun to micromanage different elements that are hard to tell what is the difference. The procedural generation is also very bland. Tarn Adam (Dwarf Fortess) created interesting procedural generation and he is one person. The dev team of DCSS(Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup) created interesting procedural generation. 

You go to a planet and its not interesting at all to get resources to fly to another not interesting planet. Its all a bit disappointing. 

The animal life is also very disappointing. If you study any palaeontology, then grass has only recently been around yet most of the planet with animals I been too have grass on. All the animals seem to be based on reptiles or dinosaurs, which would not be that common. I would have hoped to run into a planet with molluscs as the primary species on land. Notable good authors(Lovecraft) do not make this mistake of thinking alien life would be like life on land. The events that led to tetrapods taking over the land is more luck than anything.

To sum it up disappointing. I would give it a 7.5, I suppose at least they tried something new. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    pangaea said:
    this game is garbage

I would give it a 7.5

Garbage sure comes highly rated these days
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    pangaea said:
    this game is garbage

I would give it a 7.5

Garbage sure comes highly rated these days
    It's all about perspective and personal preferances ;)

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx said:
    The crazy thing is, the fans of NMS actually made up their own expectations for the game, despite what the developers described they would do. So, it's really understandable that they are trying to damage-control before launch.
    I definitely suspect a lot of this. Every game, that people were excited about, since the XBOne/PS4 came out, has suffered from over expectations. People keep creating a game, in their minds, based on a trailer, and then get disappointed, on the actual release.... leading to overreactions and trashing the devs online. 
    It doesn't help to block reviews though. You have to be careful, when trying to control the flow of information. Some preemptive damage control makes sense, but when you start blocking reviews, then red flags start to pop up. I'm interested in hearing what people say, because at this point, I've downgraded opinion from a 'maybe', to 'not buying'.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Seems to get somewhat trashed on metacritic (i know not to trust it but still). I'v always had doubts about it since proceduralism is still in such early stages making a game almost entirely based on it could flop big time. While i doubt it's a bad game most complaints seem to be centered around it getting stale quickly which is exactly what i was afraid of. I would rather have them generate 184467440737095516  less planets and have more detail/stuff to but i guess one has to make sacrifices to progress the tech.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't played yet but have been following some streams, I think if it had more of an online mode, discover with your friends etc it would balance out well, but as it's focused on single player and exploration and you focus only on that things seems to just look very familiar very fast, if that wasn't it's focus it would probably be a nice world to play in.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I think the community is at fault for the unrealistic expectations but the developers/Sony are part of the problem too. Every time I heard or saw any commercial or trailer of the game, I always thought "I still don't know what this game is about or how it works". The hype has been building up for a year but there was no effort to contain or dampen it.
    But why would they, NMS has been the top selling game on Steam for the past 2 months, with a very high price point and low development cost, the game was already a tremendous success weeks before its release, nobody wants to slow that kind of sales by asking potential customers to lower their expectations.
    Only when the game was out there and some players realized that it wasn't what they expected, they had to finally come out to the press and warn people that the game was different than what some players perceived through the marketing campaign.

That being said, angry players got what they deserved for pre-ordering a game they didn't know much about.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Did the devs even play this game"

Yup
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_0ZjEBGxo

So, I've watched 3-4 hours of twitch streaming so far, and It's pretty much what I expected since day 1.  What kind of game are the people with unrealistic expectations... expecting?
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Did the devs even play this game"

Yup
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_0ZjEBGxo

So, I've watched 3-4 hours of twitch streaming so far, and It's pretty much what I expected since day 1.  What kind of game are the people with unrealistic expectations... expecting?
    The devs have been vague as hell for the last three years. For three years they been saying this is a multiplayer game and now suddenly they are telling the truth.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4wyui4/a_compilation_of_clips_of_sean_murray_stating/

They also was very vague on how they are procedurally generating stuff. Essentially what they are doing is they made a bunch of 3d models and colour swapping them. 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4wy84k/an_honest_post_on_nms_and_why_im_cancelling_my_pc/
    You would think they had some crazy mathematics to procedurally generate stuff like they said. Maybe they are using mathematics to procedurally stuff, but all I have seen is lazy colour swapped animals and same environment over and over again..
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea said:
    The devs have been vague as hell for the last three years. For three years they been saying this is a multiplayer game and now suddenly they are telling the truth.
    What? They have been saying for 3 years (and they added extra emphasis before launch) that this is not really a multiplayer game. 
    As for procedural generation, that sort of the way it works. Were you expecting it to just make stuff out of thin air with no input? They havent really been all that vague, there's got to be a couple of hours of video out there from over the years. The problem is people cant accept that that IS the game. Its like playing the survival (which I guess no one does anymore) part of minecraft almost. 

Played a bunch last night and personally couldn't be happier. I actually ended up trashing my first save and starting again because I regretted not following Atlas. I lucked up and started on a really beautiful planet. Super grassy, trees and hills, and the temperature/atmosphere wasn't trying to kill me.
    Stopped last night on a planet that honest to god oceans... That were super radioactive.

Also in regards to metacritic, if you're talking about users, 4chan put together a campaign to bomb the score as much as possible. As for professional reviews... Yeah this game was going to be divisive no matter what. If you went by only what was in the trailers you probably wont be disappointed but people who let there imaginations run wild are going to be in regret city.

It will be extremely interesting to see how future updates shape the game and experience.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I cant believe that reddit review, I thought hello games put some clever algorithms in there to weed out any boring or repetitive planets? surely they shouldn't feel very similar to each other. Obviously there's only so many assets to randomise from so there is going to be some repeated stuff and some similarities but I wouldn't expect a whole planet of flora and fuana to feel very similar to any other whole planet.

Glad to hear that MrHobo, anyone know if the pc version might be worth waiting for? perhaps it would be easier to navigate menus on pc.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    After reading the review with the guy saying he's seeing the same creatures and what not, I dug up this old video I remember seeing a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kifCYToAU&feature=youtu.be&t=1306

I don't know, but reading that makes me think that either he "feels" like they all look the same, but in reality there are sublte variations on everything. Or they simply scrapped that system showed in the video? I don't know. 
    I think NMS is a game I'd like, but the price point tbh is kind of crazy.

I think, sadly enough, price points and what feels OK mostly has to do with the budget of the game. And not with quality or content or game length. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I think, sadly enough, price points and what feels OK mostly has to do with the budget of the game. And not with quality or content or game length. 
    Maybe I'm naive but seems to me price should be based on saleability, at $40 your expectations would be grounded and more people would probably give it a go. At $60 you're risking contempt from gamers not getting what they expected, and the some-what interested passing on it. But this game has done a hell of a marketing job, so maybe they were right.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I'm just hoping that the game will have good mod affinity and it will evolve like minecraft did.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    pangaea,
    With all due respect, that is just simply not true.
    I haven't been following this game THAT closely, but did read and watch some vids, and devs were VERY clear on what kind of multiplayer it's been; they specifically said many, many times that possibility of actually meeting any player at all is so crazily slim, that as far as it goes for people, it's as if it doesn't exist.

In other words, they were very clear from beginning that this is NOT a multiplayer game, they were very clear on that. They said so many times in many different videos i watched. I don't want to point fingers, but whoever thought this game is multiplayer game, has probably mostly himself to blame.

Now, to not have multiplayer, is a seriously bad decision if you ask me, it's like a perfect game for that, but i do know not having one (well, the proper MP anyway), was one of the choices why my expectations dropped a lot.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky said:
    pangaea,
    With all due respect, that is just simply not true.
    I haven't been following this game THAT closely, but did read and watch some vids, and devs were VERY clear on what kind of multiplayer it's been; they specifically said many, many times that possibility of actually meeting any player at all is so crazily slim, that as far as it goes for people, it's as if it doesn't exist.

In other words, they were very clear from beginning that this is NOT a multiplayer game, they were very clear on that. They said so many times in many different videos i watched. I don't want to point fingers, but whoever thought this game is multiplayer game, has probably mostly himself to blame.

Now, to not have multiplayer, is a seriously bad decision if you ask me, it's like a perfect game for that, but i do know not having one (well, the proper MP anyway), was one of the choices why my expectations dropped a lot.

The problem is that is a lie.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4x0y04/sean_murray_comments_on_two_players_meeting_each/

Two players on the same planet on the same spot, but cannot see each other. Even his tweet is not being truthful.

They have also not be honest about multiplayer from the start.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

MrHobo said:
    pangaea said:
    What? They have been saying for 3 years (and they added extra emphasis before launch) that this is not really a multiplayer game. 
    As for procedural generation, that sort of the way it works. Were you expecting it to just make stuff out of thin air with no input? They havent really been all that vague, there's got to be a couple of hours of video out there from over the years. The problem is people cant accept that that IS the game. Its like playing the survival (which I guess no one does anymore) part of minecraft almost. 

No I was expecting something interesting not 30 bland planets that all look the same. You can do interesting procedural generation. 
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, there, he says it even in this same vid, that chances of ever seeing anyone else in game, is like tiny. I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't sound like multiplayer game to me? How can you from that line understand, that this is a full on mutliplayer game, honestly?
    It's like when asked, if COD will have multiplayer component, devs reply "well, sort of, but there's big chance players will never be able to see and fight eachother", and you go like "oh great, cod has proper MP".
    It is true that one could say that lines like "Will you be able to play with other friends? -> YES" kinda may give you wrong impression, BUT, it is clearly stated that to actually meet with anyone in game, is pretty much close to impossible. Even on redit, he was mind blown that two players were managed to able to see eachother the first time in first day, which kinda farther backs his claims. Dunno, maybe it's just me, and as i said, i am kinda on your side here regarding MP component, but how can anyone get from all this "aha, this game will have a proper multiplayer" is beyond me.....

But, i do kinda get ya i guess that he did kinda hint that if such incredibly rare moment DOES happen, you should be able to see him. That doesn't seems to be the case, and that's the only thing you can blame them i think. But again, when you most players probably will never be at the same time in same place with another player....or so it was hinted, i don't really see that being all that relevant, it's hardly MP game either way.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I love the game.  Exactly what I was led to believe it would be.

I spent the first 5 hours on my starter planet, puttering around, discovering and learning stuff.  Finally decided to reach out to the surrounding planets, but have really just dipped my toes into space travel, haven't seen outside my solar system.  Taking my time, enjoying myself.  I'm really excited to explore more of the universe.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I'm enjoying the game.  It's not the usual thing I would play, but was really curious and decided to check it out.  I enjoy discovering things, the lore, and space exploration.  I've met aliens and am learning their language, am trying to game trading systems, and get a better ship.  The overall mission points and places of interest seem instanced on random planets, you can see patterns forming, but it's no more than a common language to use in design and more attainable thing to do with a small team.

The only gripes I have is that the inventory fights against wanting to explore and collect, it takes forever to walk anywhere, and once I leave a planet it's like I'm saying goodbye to it forever because getting back to it seems more difficult than just finding something new.

Frankly, I think a true multiplayer system would ruin the idea of isolation and the vast world put in front of you - it would go from a personal story and being in "no man's land", to something like EVE.  I would fucking hate having my zen moment ruined by getting ganked by bumrush420.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The issue is that they have been very vague about multiplayer and giving conflicting answers depending on the interview, saying explicitly on national television in the late night show with Steven Colbert for example that you could meet other people and there was a multiplayer component.
    Even today on Twitter after the developers tweeted about the 2 players "meeting" on the first day after the release, they refused to give a definitive answer to the multiple questions about the ability to actually meet and see other players.

If they had been straightforward from the beginning, none of this controversy would exist, but now even after the release, they are still avoiding answering this simple question and I don't understand why.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I never expected proper multiplayer like Rust or Dayz or whatever. I think I was hoping it would be a bit like Journey where meeting another player would happen occasionally and be a really nice little surprise or even something which you actively work towards and hope will happen on your journey through space and add a little human element to the game. It sounds like even that little bit of multiplayer is now not even possible and there's no way of even experiencing seeing another player. Kinda takes away one of the nice little thrills of playing the game.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I was "this" close to cancelling my pre-order today having watched a few trusted reviewers, but have decided to stick with it.

Reasons for wanting to cancel:

There is no multiplayer, when it was first announced they definitely said there would be. I even recall them saying you'd spawn randomly in the universe but you'd be able to warp to your friends to join them and explore in some way. 

Another reason is the procedural planets that look so alike. Having 18 tillquillbazzillion planets is all well and good. But if they are near identical then whats the point? 

The price.

Reasons I didnt cancel:

I enjoyed Minecraft a lot and there where moments in that game that were well worth the many hundreds of hours of digging endlessly for a simple resource. Simple moments like digging and finding a vast cave and the music would change. The feels! I'm told NMS is full of the feels like this.

I'm gonna hope that multiplayer does come eventually. Either from the dev's or mod's

The price, to support the industry... and hopefully future updates.

anyhoo. I just wish they hadn't been so vague in the run up about certain things. The game is a money spinner and I wish they'd hired more people and created a more diverse universe. What I mean here is that the universe is vast yet these robot drones are constant through out. There should be many more different civilizations at different levels of technological history. Some advanced races, some primitive and your presents could alter their history. Maybe returning to a planet you would see some evidence of how your visit altered their timeline (you become a deity and they have constructed statues od you ;P ). I expect even these civilizations could have been procedural in some way.

I'm gonna just tune out from it now and hope the game surprises me tomorrow on the PC release.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    If they had been straightforward from the beginning, none of this controversy would exist, but now even after the release, they are still avoiding answering this simple question and I don't understand why.
    Because hype! I saw a headline earlier stating that they were removing the "multiplayer" line from the box/marketing in some (european?) country, but I didn't read it. So they might be under some legal pressure.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got it today and played for 9 hours!  I was worried I spoiled myself by watching streamers but I still get surprised by stuff, I stumbled upon a weird plant/fungus thing that send up a stalk with a little Gravitino ball on top.  I also somehow got on very good terms with the Vy'keen; there's some funny dialogue options when you're high standing with them.

To sum up, I'm having a lot of fun, it's not perfect but it's has fulfilled my expectations. I would give it a 7.5