Home General Discussion

Standing/Sitting combo desk - opinions, experiences etc.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
Hey friends,

I'm looking into getting a standing/sitting combo desk (one that can transition from sitting to standing very fast) and I was looking for some opinions, some experience from you guys. I've been sitting all my life but after doing some reading, the whole standing option seems very attractive health wise. I am kind of scared though of the investment (about 1000 Euros) since I really cant gauge how much I would realistically use the height adjustment so I was hoping some of you could shed some light on how/how much you use your desks.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Instead of buying a combo desk what about buying a stool? There are some nice height adjustable stools out there.

You can give it a test run as well pretty cheaply with this Ikea hack $22 Standing Desk
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, I check that out, but is it really practical? A lot of these seem to be very small and don't offer space for 2 monitors, mouse, keyboard and tablet. But that's the reason I wanted to ask if anybody has experience with that kind of thing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of people at my office are doing the Ikea setup, I just realized it's modified version of that ikea one though - they have two lacks bolted together with a shelf running the length. That gives enough room for two monitors and a tablet, depending on the size. I can ask on Monday if anyone has blueprints. I believe there's only one artist using a standup desk and she has a Cintiq on an Ergotron arm rather than a tablet
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Until I have enough spending cash to drop on a proper standing/sitting desk, I've MacGyvered a makeshift one. It takes about 1 to 3 days to get used to standing while working but after that its quite nice. I find that when I'm standing I feel more active and attentive.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude wrote: »
    Until I have enough spending cash to drop on a proper standing/sitting desk, I've MacGyvered a makeshift one. It takes about 1 to 3 days to get used to standing while working but after that its quite nice. I find that when I'm standing I feel more active and attentive.

That's exactly what I'm going for. What does your MacGyver'ed setup look like?