Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Character Development (Help?)

Fenyce
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
Hello everybody!

I'm in my final year now and I'll be writing some theoretical texts about character development (for Games) as a base for some concept art I'll be doing later on!

So, can anyone suggest some good tutorial/websites regarding character Development and Style Development? As well as popular techniques? (Like that silhouette technique)

I already have:
  • Vertex Magazine
  • Fheng Zhu Design
  • A bunch of digital painting magazines (from 3D Total and so on)
  • Some books and texts regarding archetypes

Thanks you!

PS: I'll guess I'll also show off my progress on the character concepts here, as soon as I get there!

Replies

• Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    You have Feng Zhu Design? :poly101: Where did you get it? :D

I have a few books here but none are really what you want I guess..
    Some are the "Digital Art Masters" from 3DTotal. I guess you could flip through them on the site.. If you like a particular artist you can probably do some style exploration there.

It might just be nice to go on DeviantArt and look up a bunch of inspiring artists for you. That's how I'm trying to develop my style anyway :D (I think it's also hard to write a book about a personal journey you have to go through yourself)
    I take a bit from their work and blend it into my own. It's really fun to do ^^

Buying concept art books from games helps too to understand the way the artists worked on their characters and made design choices. I'd suggest an artbook with at least some text to it.

Some of my collection: (not sure if all are text heavy)
    Assassins Creed Revelation
    Alice Madness Returns
    Borderlands 2
    The Last of Us

Good luck (sorry couldn't be of more help)