Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
    Froyok said:
    If you update your ID in the additional map slot of you texture set, it will update all the layer using it. Otherwise you will have to replace it by hand.
    Thanks!
    Also have a suggestion:
    Will be very helpful to be able to change value of slider/parameter by Ctrl+Mouse Scroll up/down when you aiming it by cursor. Especially its very important for blending mode to quickly view and select different options for blending.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up or mentioned before, but would it be possible to use filters as an equivalent of photoshop adjustment layers, so that they can affect everything underneath? 
    Example, say I have a texture set up but I want to bring up the values of everything together in my base color. What i'd want is the ability to throw in a Levels that just affects everything underneath it, as opposed to just the layer that it is on. This same thing with other filters like hue shift, sharpen, etc. 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Oniram said:
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up or mentioned before, but would it be possible to use filters as an equivalent of photoshop adjustment layers, so that they can affect everything underneath? 
    Example, say I have a texture set up but I want to bring up the values of everything together in my base color. What i'd want is the ability to throw in a Levels that just affects everything underneath it, as opposed to just the layer that it is on. This same thing with other filters like hue shift, sharpen, etc. 
    Yes, just add an empty layer at the top of your stack and set its blending modes to PassThru.
    Drag and dropping an effect from the shelf to the stack will automatically do that for you.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    oh perfect! thanks!
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Froyok said:
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    Hey, is it possible to invert alphas/stencils inside of painter?
    We don't have any setting to do that, but that's a good question. I will create a request in our database.
    Hello, was this ever implemented? My searches are proving a little difficult with the terms used. Thank you.
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there, I am using 2.4.1 when I import a normal map into my project and tag it as a texture I am unable to find it in the shelf afterwards even when I search for it's name directly. Is there something I am missing?
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    My bad, was a network drive error  o:)
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    I made a text in photoshop written "Patent #" to use within Substance Painter with the projection tool and it consistently crashes the software. Maybe something to do with "weird" characters?
    https://gyazo.com/4c051023cbe2ec2da515525b9998171c
  • 62_5MHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    62_5MHz polycounter lvl 6
    Hi.
    I have a newbie question here.
    I've just started to learn Substance Painter and for my first project/study I am trying to texture a Sega Genesis cartridge I modeled. I would like to know how to get this plastic graininess from the pic(actual cartridge):

I tried to change the roughness values, but I couldn't get the desired results (like the pic). 
    What would be the best approach in this case?

Thanks
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You'll need to add some subtle noise to the roughness and maybe the normal/height map with a fill layer of fill effect.
  • donofdon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    What happened to the weld tool that was in the shelf from v2.1.1 then was quietly disappeared from v2.3 onwards? 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It is available on Substance Share, not sure why it was removed from the shelf at some point.
    https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/579
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Looks like an error, we will had it back. :)
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Holy cow SP is growing so much so fast, I need to dig into those videos of new tools and shelf UI...

Is there any levels/curve filter adjustment equivalent that can create contrast for a stack of layers in SP? Tried looking for it in Share and couldn't find anything...I need to create several versions of the same map in increasingly contrasty looks, and right now I'm doing this in Photoshop using a Levels adjustment layer.  
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    @Justo You can add a levels adjustment to individual layers (Right click, add Levels) but I don't know if you can have a single levels adjustment that affects multiple separate layers. You might be able to do what you want though by using one layer, with fill layers added to its stack, and with a levels adjustment at the top of that stack.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thanks for answering Bek, but I'm using various fill layers with generators and smart masks. The Allego doc page says I should literally apply the Levels filter to each individual layer, so unfortunately I don't think this is possible in SP.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Have you got Designer? It'd be pretty simple to construct a graph to take the input image, put that through several separate Levels nodes, expose the parameters of each Levels node, and plug each one into a separate output, and save that out as a sbsar for use in Painter. If you don't have it and haven't used the 30 day trial, you could use that. Or subscribe to Live. Depends how much time you'd save by doing it that way vs continuing to do it in photoshop I guess.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Hey Bek, that's actually a great idea! I do have a licence, though it's been a while since I've used Designer for anything that isn't baking haha. I remember having tinkered with exposing Levels parameters and how it got super confusing given that you'd be saying byebye to the traditional graph with the slider keys, but that's a minor tradeoff. 

Would that sbsar alter multiple layers though? Well, I'll experiment tomorrow and reply back, doubtless with more questions for this method. Thanks again Ben! Have a good night (or afternoon I guess, Australians...)!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    @Justo check this: https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Generic+filter

In your case you'd have multiple levels, stemming from the same input, and then you'd have multiple outputs. If I'm understanding what you want to do anyway. There's also a video showing making a filter here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=9964.0

But the documentation should make it pretty clear. And like the video shows, when you're first creating the SD graph, there's a preset for a Painter Filter, which just creates the input/output nodes.

EDIT: Ah, I think I've misunderstood what you wanted to do - if it's that multiple layers in SP need to be affected by the same Levels edit, you can use the Passthrough blending mode on a layer, and add the levels to that, which will adjust the layers below it. Then you could duplicate that layer or add more levels adjustments to it to stack the effect, and those additional levels can be toggled on/off. But if you need access to all the variants at the once, I don't think that's doable. If not though, that might do what you need, but I'm unsure what you need the varying degrees of contrast for. Anyway, if that doesn't do it, designer might be able to help. Even if it's just to automate what you're doing in photoshop.

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Bek Sos un titán Ben! Thanks, that layer set to Passthrough did it. So glad it was that simple. Didn't know Allego now made regular twitch streams though, I'm watching this instant some of those. Again, thanks a bunch Bek, you did it. 
  • donofdon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    Froyok said:
    Looks like an error, we will had it back. :)
    The weld tool? That would be great yeah  :D
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    I've been using SP1 for ages, just started using the SP2 trial and I keep running into problems exporting the maps:

In the viewer the baked AO and Normal maps look fine. But when I export out maps (using the Unreal 4 Packed setting, and some other ones I tried), I get this weird result:

http://imgur.com/a/8hlGs

It looks like it's saving out the AO and Normal information from the fabric materials (and other height information I added), but it's not combining it with the baked AO and Normal for the model. I am using the SP2 trial, and working at 4k--is this some kind of limitation of the demo? Or is something else wrong here?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If you use the Additional Maps export preset, does it export them correctly?
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    That does work! I suppose I can combine the two normal and AO maps by hand, but that seems like a weird workaround. :S
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Update: my trial's expired. Any further thoughts on this? I was hoping to get it resolved before splurging on Painter 2 :(
  • Bumblebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
    why does everything in substance painter look blurry? Like procedurals etc?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you elaborate?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Can anyone figure a way around this?  Its not only items at edges, it can be uv islands in the middle.  The main thing is that they are thin.  I thought it might be model size, but increasing and reimporting does nothing.  The only thing that worked seemed to be enlarging the actual islands.. Which isn't really an option when you are trying to keep the same texel density (and not have to rebake everything).

In short those  islands/polygons cannot be masked.  They sometimes get partially masked when using polygon tool (such as above).  Or if I Overpaint a mask to the point its touching the next model.

I'm working in 4k in some situations for texture size, so its not that.

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It's most probably related to the fact that UV island is too small and ou brush collision system is unable to paint it.
    I'm curious, in what case would having such a small UV island be helpful ?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Its actually not that small, it's squished (4k*2k).   I mean, yes, it is thin, but not to that degree.  Different smoothing group=different UV island.  I could understand if I was working with sub pixel islands, but I'm not.

That's another bit that bugs me.  The UV preview still shows a square output even if you are working on a non square texture. While using a blur filter stretches.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 2
    I'm sorry if this problem was solved somewhere else, I searched the forums and quickly read over the pages in this thread, I think I didn't find it, but maybe I missed it. Please tell me if I missed something.

Anyway, I did a project in Substance Painter 2.4.1, finished it, and started the IRay option. Took a few shots, then the software crashed (no big deal, was on my end, not the software's fault). The problem is, since then, that specific project does not have the IRay option visible anymore. My other projects do. It's usually next to the Photoshop sign.

Does anyone have a solution on how I can get it back..? Or any alternative way to open it? I need some additional shots.. :/
    I tried opening Substance Painter on its own and then importing the project, I tried immediately opening it, I opened it as Administrator.. it stays the same. F10 doesn't work, and clicking on Mode does nothing. My other projects all have the IRay option whenever I open them.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Did you try a reset of the UI in the View menu?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    When i want to UV Scale something, Painter not only scales the Texture / Fill but also the outlines of my UV Map, so i see dozens of repeats of my UV not just the texture used. I guess it multiplies the Tiling yet also multiplies the input Maps (AO and Curvature).
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    What are you trying to scale exactly? a fill layer?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Tried to change the UV Multiply on a wood material.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Hey guys, I tried to render ( tests ) with iray on 2 cards, one gtx 770 oc and one gtx 960, and when i uncheck the CPU in the settings the graphic card becomes greyd out, it means that is not supported? 
    The CPU usage is 100 % no matter if i have it enabled or disabled in the painter settings. Thanks.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    No, it just means you can't deactivate the CPU and the GPU at the same time because you would have nothing to render with :smiley:
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Thanks Jerc, but the idea here is to render only with the GPU and not CPU, if i uncheck CPU and let GPU activated and start iray the processes show me that CPU is working 100 % usage and not the GPU.
    I want to buy a gtx 1080 and i want that GPU to render everything and not CPU.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The only time where the CPU takes over the GPU is if Iray needs more memory than the GPU can allocate. You should get a warning in the log and you should notice the extra slow rendering and viewport interaction when this happens.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi guys, what does the [Dilation + Transparent] use for actually? What I understand is that it padding the texture to the maximum texture edge and include the alpha channel contain uv shell info (like how it looks like when we press F3). But seems like the current build didn't do anything regardless the setting.

Yeah even when I set to No Padding (Passthrough), it still come out with padding.
    Is this a known bug?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There is padding and dilation, these are different processes, what does your output look like?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi @Jerc padding and dilation is the same thing right? extending your uv pixel edges on the texture to avoid nasty mips? Well the output that I got with even No Padding option selected is still have full padding as if I select Dilation Infinite option. What I'm trying to export is a texture with padding and uv mask (like when render a solid uv shells in 3ds max, uv shell full white and background black) in the alpha channel. Is that possible?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Whoops, posted in the wrong thread.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    what's the process for baking AO from just the normal map? I finished my textures, exported, then reimported the new normal, put it in the slot, removed the HD mesh and hit bake, but all I'm getting is broken artifacts.

edit: results seem better after upgrading to new version, but still is overall inconsistent with patches/waves of areas that receive less AO than others. Not sure if user error or the software, but I get the same result on 2 different meshes.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Well, something weird just happen to my SPainter..so I was checking my phone for a while when my SP project opened on my PC, PC turned off display after 15 mins (not even enter sleep mode), move my mouse to turn display back on and now my mesh gone! I was like WTH just happened?! I thought it's just a display crashed or something, so I save my file, restart SP and my mesh still missing..The textures still there and export fine, but just the 3d viewport is empty.

Does something like this happen to anyone before?

And the worst part is I just realize there is no auto backup for SP....

EDIT:
    So, I managed to recover the file..well, not really recover but export the material as a custom smart-material and create a new project > load back the LP mesh > rebake the input texture > assign the smart-material back into the mesh..and so glad that it works! :neutral:

I'm surprised that my custom paint layer actually still intact like the original file.
  • BeachBum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeachBum polycounter lvl 4
    Im having trouble with my model in Unity to look the way it did in Substance Painter.  It seems as if the roughness values are not 1:1.  Is there something I need to do to the  Roughness texture to get the 1:1 results I am looking for?  Anyone have this problem ever?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    What version of Unity are you using, with which shader, and what channels and export presets are you using in Painter?
  • BeachBum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeachBum polycounter lvl 4
    Unity Version 5.5 
    Using the Standard shader
    Base, Metalic with roughness in alpha channel, and a normal
    I use the Unity 5 Metallic, Roughness  export

Sorry I would post a comparison but its IP
  • wesmcdermott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeachBum said:
    Unity Version 5.5 
    Using the Standard shader
    Base, Metalic with roughness in alpha channel, and a normal
    I use the Unity 5 Metallic, Roughness  export

Sorry I would post a comparison but its IP
    Hi, 
    The results should be pretty close. It's not a perfect 1:1 match as we are using a different sampling method for the environment, but we worked with Unity to ensure it's extremely close. Can you send me some screen shots to my allegorithmic email? I can help you offline. You can contact me at wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com. 

Are you using the same environment in both Unity and Painter?

Cheers, 
    Wes

• JessyStorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JessyStorm polycounter lvl 8
    Hello there. I need some help. Sorry for my potato english but I have some deepshit problem with normal map in SP. It is absolutely clear and nice in blender/marmoset3/unity, but not in sp.  There r very weird artifacts or some kind of uv distortion. Baked with xnormal. Check screenshot. Thx.