Home Technical Talk

Maya creasing problem with this particular shape

I really want to like using the crease tool for my sub-div modeling, but sometimes it is challenging to get it right.

The right shape of the following image is the base model.
the left shape was achieved by using edge loops. The left shape with the edge loops is the look that I'm trying to achieve using creasing, and maybe some supporting edges. It took awhile to figure out where to put all of the edge loops.
HHOPZll.png

So the following image is me trying to apply creasing to the base model by using a valule of .95. (anything over .99 just makes the edges completely sharp). However it ended up looking like this:
bl1r4j4.png

But then when I tried to find supporting edges to help the creasing, I ended up just edge looping the entire thing, and after a certain point, I could delete all the creases and it would look about the same. How can I use creasing to mimic the look of my edge looped model? is it possible with this shape? or am I stuck with just edge looping the whole thing?

if you want to take a look at the file and take a crack at it, I put it here:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/472792/creaseprob-mb.html

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I was similarly excited when I discovered the potential of the Crease tool but after messing with it I was only met with general disappointment. I don't think creasing can get you the look of your loop-supported model; there are differences between how edges average with supporting loops and how creased edges behave. Creasing attempts to "hold" an edge in place without regard to the averaging of the other uncreased edges. Because of this, Creasing in certain spots can cause mesh overlapping unless the surrounding edges are also creased... This rarely happens with standard support loop modeling.

I've never found much of a use for creasing an edge with any value other than its maximum, and only then am I creasing in order to set up a mesh for ZBrush. The visuals of a creased object also make it difficult to interpret surface topology due to all the weird shading artifacts Maya likes to give you around crease edges. With a loop-supported design your shape is nearly spot on to what it will look like in a render and behaves much more predictably.

I personally think it's better to stick with support loop modelling as a primary technique (though it can get hairy sometimes) and use creasing sparingly in areas where you may not want to add more or tweak existing supporting loops but also want to subtly change the setting of an edge (see below)

This is a shot of the base your supporting flanges. Both are your edge loop supported subdivided models, but the left has a strategically placed crease which keeps the base of the flange pushed in more.
    Capture.PNG
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah damn so in the end i suppose ill still have to figure out all those pesky edge loops. thanks a lot for taking a look at the file!, i guess ill use creasing as a secondary option or to touch up on those hard to reach spots like the one you just showed.

i sure wish the pixars version of the crease tool is available.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Mmm, I took your model and creased it manually in Maya, the result seems fine to me in Zbrush (just had to clean it up a bit, some of the geo was wonky for working with creasing, the topology of the corners could still be improved), only took me a minute or so :

mayacrease.jpg

Edit : just realized you weren't trying to use it in Zbrush at all (I think?) But yeah if you just plan on doing offline rendering, I agree, using support loops will give you cleaner results, I just think creasing is nice to keep things lowpoly and cleaner for sculpting in Zbrush or Mudbox.