Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oblivion inspired astronaut [CE3]

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Astronaut dude was created in maya, zbrush, photoshop and ndo.
Environment was pretty much just maya, photoshop and ndo.

totals about 20000 triangles

3 x 2048 maps ( diffuse, normal, specular ) for character
4x 2048 maps for environment ( diffuse, normal, specular, height ) because I used Cryengines parallax offset mapping.

oblivion_2.jpg

oblivion_3.jpg

oblivion_4.jpg

jackharper_sculptrender.jpg

jackharper_sculpt.jpg

jackharper_baked.jpg

oblivion_character_textures.jpg

oblivion_environment_textures.jpg

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    This looks AWESOME! Only possible addition, I think it would be cool to have debris in the scene to spice it up. My apologies if this is how it looks in the movie, I haven't seen it yet, but even so, you can always deviate to make it more visually interesting.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, the scene looks a little empty as it is now. That character deserves a better presentation. Try this:

http://www.crydev.net/wiki/index.php/Creating_a_Level_in_Space

Some better angles and close-ups would be cool. Really love those lights on the helmet though.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    How is CryEngines parallax for flat panels like that? UDK was giving me too much issues and swimming when I was trying to do something similar.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good ( well, too clean, but good ). You should try another pose I think, he looks a bit stupid here ^^.
  • EmmanuelLawrence
    Hey! Looks pretty cool! I agree with the others though, the presentation is a bit boring and stale. Try to add more movement in the character??
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Yeah, the scene looks a little empty as it is now. That character deserves a better presentation. Try this:

http://www.crydev.net/wiki/index.php/Creating_a_Level_in_Space

Some better angles and close-ups would be cool. Really love those lights on the helmet though.

Thanks everyone. Hey thats really cool, I was looking for a way to do that! ended up sticking in my own environment cylinder but it didnt work very well because I couldnt set it to unlit.

I agree with the others that the presentation isnt very interesting, I wanted to add broken pieces to the ends of the scifi tunnel and have more debris but Im starting to run out of motivation on this scene now. Might come back to it and add all that stuff later.

there are some more pics of him from different angles on my website : http://www.gd3dart.com

Ive also been setting up a seperate scene with just the character for more clear character renders with closeups etc.

jack harper(tom cruise) never actually wears a space suit like this in the movie I just designed it myself around the oblivion style.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    How is CryEngines parallax for flat panels like that? UDK was giving me too much issues and swimming when I was trying to do something similar.

It works really well but you do get odd bits on the edges unless you make them perfectly tiling, it can be tricky to get the edges to not stick out even when the tiling is good. On the plus side the environment is really really low poly.

I started the environment as a little experiment using ndo2 and photoshop. I didnt really expect to take it this far haha.

oblivion_wireframe.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I think there's too much AO in the diffuse in the suit. It's making the suit look really muddy. You have a lot of normal map information for the creases and wrinkles, so I'd just let those create the shading.

In regards to the environment, it kind of looks like you got him posed for floating in space, but it's hard to tell because of the environment. I'd throw in some signs, doors, and other stuff that has a recognizable direction, then have your character angled or something so it feels like he's actually floating.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I really needed to move him away from the floor more because he is actually floating but people didnt notice it haha.

Anyway heres some nice toolbag 2 renders :)

astronaut001.jpg

astronaut006.jpg

astronaut004.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    I think it would be really cool to throw some stuff in the background outside of the ship. Like have him looking towards something, maybe a planet or the rest of his ship. Not enough to take attention away from your guy but just to kind of direct the viewers gaze. Looking really awesome so far! :)