Home General Discussion

Carmack leaves Id

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
Just seen this posted on JC's twitter feed. End of an era.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/205539/John_Carmack_officially_leaves_id_Software.php?

"In two separate tweets, Carmack (@ID_AA_Carmack) said, "I wanted to remain a technical adviser for Id, but it just didn't work out. Probably for the best, as the divided focus was challenging.

"If they don't want me to talk on stage at Quakecon next year, we'll just have to fill up the lobby like the old days. :-)"

Replies

• aleksdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He can make more of an impact and more money at oculus imo.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Wow. Can't wait to see what he does for the OR though. Damn.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Agreed. I think he's going to do great things for Oculus. I'm a space nut too, so more Armadillo is also good. :)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Can't say this was unexpected! Looking forward to see what he does on the OR.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Good bye, have fun with your rockets.

Now when do we get the id tech 5 SDK ?

:poly124:
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    carmack is the mega sick anything he does will be good

as long as he still talks at quakecon, him leaving id is OK with me
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Damn, Id's down Kenneth Scott, and now John Carmack... I've always been a pretty big Id fan, but if Doom 4 fails, I'm really worried about the future of that studio.

On the upside, Carmack will make a huge difference at Oculus. Can't wait to see what they come up with now.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Racer445 wrote: »
    carmack is the mega sick anything he does will be good

as long as he still talks at quakecon, him leaving id is OK with me

I don't wanna spoil it for you, but id Tech 5 wasn't that impressive compared to other tech on the market at that time.
    For me it looked like Carmack made one step forward and two steps back compared to what he have done in id tech 4.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    iniside wrote: »
    I don't wanna spoil it for you, but id Tech 5 wasn't that impressive compared to other tech on the market at that time.
    For me it looked like Carmack made one step forward and two steps back compared to what he have done in id tech 4.

I've heard Rage described as a sales pitch for a bad answer to a stupid question.

Megatexturing is a neat idea, and probably an awesome technical problem for somebody who's a dev genius like Carmack or Sweeny to sink their teeth into, but it sounds like it doesn't make for a very workable art production pipeline... at all.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    I've heard Rage described as a sales pitch for a bad answer to a stupid question.

Megatexturing is a neat idea, and probably an awesome technical problem for somebody who's a dev genius like Carmack or Sweeny to sink their teeth into, but it sounds like it doesn't make for a very workable art production pipeline... at all.

It certainly have it uses, like terrain painting. But idk, if pushing in everything in game was an good idea.

I don't know how assests were made for RAGE, so I won't talk about it.

I was more referring the fact that Doom 3, had dynamic lighting everywhere (at the time where industry was stuck with static lighting). And in time of Rage, industry was trying to move to as real-time rendering as possible, and id tech 5 was step back by using static lighting almost everywhere.
    Combine it with MegaTexutring that takes huge resources to develop, and we end up with not so friendly and fast workflow.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know how assests were made for RAGE

I think most of it was done in modo :poly121:
  • Ark
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Shocking at first sight but it seems he is just going to evolve his visions on the Oculus, I can't freaking wait, I hope it is off the wall insane!!!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    While Carmack is a MASSIVE hero of mine, I can't help but feel over the years id software have either held him back, or them him back, or something... but id Software haven't really been top tier games designers for a LONG time. Its always full of so many mixed ideas but never really anything pushing the boat out... Rage could have been the generations must have game. Instead it was a flop... Why? :(
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    odium wrote: »
    Rage could have been the generations must have game. Instead it was a flop... Why? :(

you ask "why"? it's obvious they didn't know how to adapt themselves to these modern days, nor in tech wise, nor in gameplay, nor in art design. they arrogantly thought their "id tech" and the megatextures were great... but in reality it was an illusion, a total fiasco. The best comparison in tech terms: UE3, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.; and vs gameplay design... err there are too many games to learn of!

"Games are always to innovate or to die".

Their moment of glory passed away a long time ago (Doom 3). I don't see a good future... nor with oculus. Some people called me negative a long time ago, when the "heart of id" left id, and now see... how ironic is the life.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be fair, megatexture WAS pretty cool tech ... it was just 2 or 3 years too late.
  • aleksdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    To be fair, megatexture WAS pretty cool tech ... it was just 2 or 3 years too late.

Hows that?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meaning that it would have been more impressive a few years earlier. But RAGE took a solid 6+ years to develop which allowed other tech companies to keep moving forward and by the time it shipped, it wasn't that mind blowing.
  • aleksdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meaning that it would have been more impressive a few years earlier. But RAGE took a solid 6+ years to develop which allowed other tech companies to keep moving forward and by the time it shipped, it wasn't that mind blowing.

Every product would be more impressive if it was shipped years earlier. Megatextures are more for artists working on the game to make their lives easier iirc. Its also hard to run it on the limited consoles. it looks impressive still on the pc with the latest patch
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Megatexture IS pretty cool tech, I can say from working with it for a few years. It allows you to make insanely good looking environments atleast. Dont think that the implementation of megatextures in Rage was the engine in its final form and not improvable upon :) It was the first project made with idtech 5, and beautiful as it is, there is obviously alot you can improve on, as with most engines.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18

I'd say it was two or three years too EARLY. The new consoles would have been much kinder to megatexturing's reputation...also, idTech5 is certainly not the only engine capitalizing on the technique--I'd bet there are other studios taking similar approaches, some even doing it on-the-fly instead of baking it down before run time. We'll probably see the term "virtual texturing" thrown around a lot in the next four or five years.

Either way, it's sad to see Carmack move on from directly working on games. He's changed this industry many, many times over.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Gamasutra ran an obituary for ID software.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The people at Gamasutra have very bad taste with that frivolous necrology :). Did they do another one with infinity ward? look COD: Ghosts... beating all the records.

Peter Molyneux left Lion Head, and that didn't stop him making games. It may not be the same case, but it's another example of a great individual.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Battlefield 3/4 and Trials HD are using megatexturing already, and Lionhead developed an engine years ago, too.

The most important difference is that BF and Trials are not using fully unique virtual texturing. But the tech has been in use in other titles as well.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    all unique textures everywhere you look at 60 fps on ancient hardware is pretty awesome.

All the new screenspace rendered everything with pbr shaders looks pretty bad compared to Rage in my opinion.

I'm sure Carmack will really be able to stretch his legs without having to support an art pipeline, and I'm pretty excited about VR in general
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    repete wrote: »

Now when do we get the id tech 5 SDK ?

:poly124:

its allready there... download it from steam...
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    oculus is great

rage looked great

carmack = great :thumbup:
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    oglu wrote: »
    its allready there... download it from steam...

Thanks oglu, I didn't know :)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    im dreaming of playing doom4 with 5terrabyte of texture data with occulus+omni
    on a supercomputer with 20 titan cards... :D
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    oglu wrote: »
    im dreaming of playing doom4 with 5terrabyte of texture data with occulus+omni
    on a supercomputer with 20 titan cards... :D

I wonder if they will ever finish Doom 4, I was really looking forward to it.

occulus+omni bring it on :poly142:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYG7xGFByJ8"]OMNI: Virtual Reality ( VR ) Movement (KickStarter) Oculus Rift - YouTube[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm surprised he stayed as long as he did. Once the market moved to hardware that updates once every decade there wasn't much room for someone like him.

Carmack is a guy that likes to set up new things and invent. The limits of the industry only let him do that once every 5-6-7 years. The PS4 and XB3 just caught up to the stuff they where doing 4-5 years ago.

If Sony and MS focused less on locking in hardware and more on providing a service that runs on a wide range of hardware/devices, they would have a much easier time keeping people like Carmack in the industry.

I should have seamless experience for xbox live, it should be on my tablet my phone, my PC, my laptop, my media box, it should be everywhere and not limited by hardware. That doesn't mean all games will run on all things but what will run on XYZ device, should. That would allow hardware to grow over time and allow services to evolve around what customers want.

Instead they try to predict the future and lock that future down. If you've ever installed an old version of windows and watched the slide shows of what they predicted would be the most amazing features you're going to love, 75% of it is junk no one used. All that does is chase the inventors away.

People like Carmack are like high performance engineers that work on the cutting edge of aerospace or high performance cars.

Sony and MS want people who can make next years Toyota Corolla slightly more/less boxy than this years model. They aren't interested in carbon fiber, they are happy that they just figured out steel is better than iron.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a somewhat different point of view on this one; in my opinion, Carmack has two main strengths.

One is to find new and sometimes quite disruptive rendering technology.
    He usually gets these ideas by absorbing an incredible amount of information from seriously varied sources; from siggraph research papers to airplane engineering (normal mapping and BSP, respectively).

The other ability is to write a highly efficient implementation of said technology for a video game engine. The best examples are probably the 2D scrolling in Commander Keen and the software renderer for Quake 1. Or I could add the raycasting engine of Wolfenstein where he was using only 1 ray per column of the framebuffer (thus the engine was 200x as fast as one that was casting a ray per pixel).

The common aspect is that both skills were best suited for the time of software rendering, when almost none of the rendering pipeline was set in stone, so radically new approaches were able to allow for drastic advances in visuals.

But nowadays, there's a lot less room left for radical innovations.
    Rasterization and texture sampling/filtering are almost completely hardware accelerated.
    Renderers are practically standardized around features like deferred rendering, shadow buffers, normal mapping, physically based lighting and shading, and so on.
    Innovation is mostly about adding smaller features, or about inventing a new approximation for raytracing a particular aspect (bounce lighting, area lighting etc.)

His last two big ideas in this age were:
    - adapting normal mapping based impostors for realtime rendering, which became an industry standard
    - implementing virtual texturing, which became a hw feature on at least X1 but possibly PS4 too

There's just not much left in graphics research at this point, as realtime engines are practically feature complete when compared to offline rendering. Yes, the approximations are very rough occasionally - but that could only be helped by LOTS of computing power, and coming up with different shortcuts is probably not exciting enough for him.
    The only big step left was virtualizing geometry, which he was looking into; but virtual texturing almost broke id software, so there was no chance to get support from Zenimax to develop a game with the unbelievable production requirements necessary to fully utilize that feature.

Thus it was a completely logical step to abandon realtime rendering related software development. It's mostly diminishing returns from now on anyway, and the game design aspect of id was on the decline in the last decade too.

With that said, I'm still pretty curious about Doom 4, but I don't have my fingers crossed...